Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Were/are you in the military?
No, and was not subject to the draft 14 37.84%
No, I was draftable, but didn't have to go 6 16.22%
Yes, I was drafted (or joined in lieu of draft) and got out when my time was up 2 5.41%
I volunteered and spent one hitch 6 16.22%
I stayed in beyond my initial voluntary hitch, but didn't stay until retirement 3 8.11%
I stayed in until retirement. 5 13.51%
I stayed in beyond my initial INvoluntary hitch, but didn't stay until retirement 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Military service
Old 09-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Military service

Discussion about the draft made me curious.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Military service
Old 09-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dory, I'm a combination of two responses, so didn't vote (joined in lieu of draft, I stayed in beyond my initial hitch, but didn't stay until retirement).

I left the military after 8 years when the post-Vietnam Carter Administration had an "early out" program for skill sets in oversupply. It was elegantly simple and very successful: give unpopular assignments to encourage people to leave (pilots assigned to 3 years of flying a desk , for example).

Less than two years after the program started the Pentagon began offering retention bonuses to those who agreed to stay....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my case I was called for my draft physical 3 months after spending 10 weeks in the hospital having major back surgury (1965). A couple of army doctors looked at my x-rays and said I could leave. When I got my new draft card, I was classified 1-Y. I called the draft board to ask what that meant. They said "when women and children are fighting in the streets, we'll call you". My back held up pretty well for about 15 years but has gotten progressively worse since then. On some days I am pretty disabled despite taking several different pain medications. It really limits my physical activity to swimming and walking. My health was a major reason I planned for and acheived FIRE at age 55.

Grumpy
Old 09-12-2005, 07:00 PM   #4
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Dory, I'm a combination of two responses, so didn't vote (joined in lieu of draft,* I stayed in beyond my initial hitch, but didn't stay until retirement).*
I was figuring that "I stayed in beyond my initial hitch, but didn't stay until retirement" would apply regardless of why you went in originally...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 09-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
I was figuring that "I stayed in beyond my initial hitch, but didn't stay until retirement" would apply regardless of why you went in originally...
OK. But it leaves out the influence of the draft on my military service.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
OK.* But it leaves out the influence of the draft on my military service.
OK, OK, I added an option for you. But you have probably already voted. So NOW look at what you have done!!

Old 09-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
OK, OK, I added an option for you. But you have probably already voted. So NOW look at what you have done!!
No problem. I "unvoted" and then revoted... Thanks.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:18 PM   #8
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
No problem.* I "unvoted" and then revoted... * Thanks.
I tried to do that in an election a few decades back...

Old 09-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #9

What about I volunteered, but did not stay in for the full hitch? I did get an honorable discharge though!

Dreamer
Old 09-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I joined the Navy in 1978, a few months before I turned 18.

A few months after my birthday I received a nasty note from the registration people admonishing me about the severe penalties for failing to register. It took a couple more mailings before I decided to take them seriously and it took a few more months beyond that to update everyone's computers.

I hesitated to incur an obligation past my first tour, but one tour at a time it suddenly became time to retire. My "lack of commitment" during the two decades cost me a few bonus bucks but each time the feeling of imminent freedom was priceless.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:21 PM   #11
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
What about I volunteered, but did not stay in for the full hitch?* I did get an honorable discharge though!

Dreamer
Well, your time was up, wasn't it?

There were lots of strange situations. I was in OCS in 1970 when Nixon declared "Vietnamization" a success. *Somehow a byproduct was that our whole OCS (at Ft Belvoir VA) was shut down 3 weeks before graduation (for my class), and many hundreds of OCS candidates were offered discharges to be effective immediately or shortly thereafter, or else we could transfer to the infantry OCS at Ft Benning and become infantry lieutenants.* (It being 1970, I decided to remain an intel NCO with a no-combat-zone travel restriction instead of an infantry sacrificial lieutenant. This will make sense for those paying attention to the situation in Southeast Asia at that time.)

Some time later, I received a $10,000 bonus for re-upping, while friends in the same job with over a year left on their hitch were offered early discharges.

Logic and consistency were not widespread...

Old 09-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
... many hundreds of OCS candidates were offered discharges to be effective immediately or shortly thereafter, or else we could transfer to the infantry OCS at Ft Benning and become infantry lieutenants. (It being 1970, I decided to remain an intel NCO with a no-combat-zone travel restriction instead of an infantry sacrificial lieutenant. This will make sense for those paying attention to the situation in Southeast Asia at that time.)
Think you pretty much explained this with your opening question...

Quote:
Well, your time was up, wasn't it?

Old 09-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I joined the Navy in 1978, a few months before I turned 18.

A few months after my birthday I received a nasty note from the registration people admonishing me about the severe penalties for failing to register. It took a couple more mailings before I decided to take them seriously and it took a few more months beyond that to update everyone's computers.
Similar situation here, but with my induction (draft) notice, not registration. Got my "Greetings" letter from Uncle Sam in July of 1969, a month prior to graduating from college. Scheduled to report for induction the first Monday in October. I knew it was coming so had started to try to qualify for USAF OTS, but the only slots open were for engineers and pilots. I wasn't an engineer and had never flown, not even as a passenger, but what the heck. I took all the tests and the flight physical and waited for word that I was accepted as my induction date grew closer. I was three days from boarding the bus to basic training when I was accepted and sworn in to the AF.

When I didn't show up at the induction center to board the bus on Monday morning, the Selective Service sent the sherrif to get me. Had to call the AF recruiter to verify I was already IN the military. Nothing like cutting it close...

Old 09-13-2005, 06:19 AM   #14

Quote:

Logic and consistency were not widespread...
And little has changed.

JG