Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Of course it matters. You accused the abstainers (the child-free) of being "self-indulgent," in a way that suggested great disdain. Your tone was with their motives as much as it was with their actions. I'm merely pointing out that those who reproduce have the exact same motives (i.e., self-indulgence), merely different values. Neither did what they did for the good of society. Moreover, a case could be made that those who have abstained from having children are the ones actually providing the most benefit for society, as many models suggest that the planet is already over populated.
As I said, the childless lotus-eaters are unlikely to agree with anything other than their chosen lifestyle. So be it. I can see you are getting upset, so I will leave you to go your separate way.

I do have to wonder: if people are so concerned that the earth is overpopulated, why are they not either committing suicide or killing people?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

I am childless, not by choice.

What it means to me is to pay more attention to "extended family". I appreciate the children of friends.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'm starting a separate thread so as not to hijack imoldernu's excellent discussion on the future of work.

My question is this: Are the workers of the Millennial Generation a different breed altogether?

I see the millennial generation who seem to have a better balance of work/play and wonder if the future of 'work' is about things like working from home, taking a lot of time off and (seemingly) willing to make less money in order to spend more time with friends (i.e. hang out in coffee houses at 2pm) etc.

They may 1) view us oldsters who killed ourselves "for the company" as out of balance OR 2) they believe that they can't really get ahead and, as a result are defining different values i.e. making the best of a bad situation.

Cars, nice houses and nice clothes seem to be secondary to not working too hard/too many hours and having time to do more personal things. A shared apartment in the city with a bicycle seem to be more valued than a highly successful high paying career.

Personally, I find their perspective a bit of heresy ("those lazy bums; get a real job!") but I do often wonder if they got it right instead of those of us who often gave up so much for career and the 9 to 5.

Comments?
The younger generation, meaning my offsprings, my nieces, and nephews, seem willing to spend money and to enjoy life more than we were at their age. For example, one of my nieces took time off from work without pay to spend a month in Europe. I would not think of such thing when I was in my 30s.

Who's to say that they are wrong? Is our old paradigm of working our ass off, saving to the max hoping to enjoy our wealth in retirement age better? As long as they are not in debt and manage to save some money, I do not see what's wrong with it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Cars, nice houses and nice clothes seem to be secondary to not working too hard/too many hours and having time to do more personal things. A shared apartment in the city with a bicycle seem to be more valued than a highly successful high paying career.

Comments?
This is exactly the position I took even before my teens, once I figured out the world. I would gladly forego more money in exchange for not having to do stupid sht in exchange for money. I can do arithmetic though. Life can't be all "balance". (Defined as: --What *I* want to do--) So, I did what I had to do for as long as I had to, and not one minute longer, to get where I wanted to be. If The Millenials have found a way to blow off "The System", more power to 'em. Maybe their M.O is just to spread it out over a lifetime instead of, like us, compartmentalizing life into PART-A followed by PART B, etc
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #65
Gone but not forgotten

Sheesh... after reading most of these posts, it sounds as if many folks here are starting to... umm (how should I say this)

get old?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Sheesh... after reading most of these posts, it sounds as if many folks here are starting to... umm (how should I say this)

get old?
Whaaaaaat?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

get old?

Start looking at The Man In The Mirror?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
As I said, the childless lotus-eaters are unlikely to agree with anything other than their chosen lifestyle.
Heh, I suggest you Google the "Religion of Parenthood." The first link ("How American Parenting is Killing the American Marriage") is an interesting read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I can see you are getting upset, so I will leave you to go your separate way.
I apologize if I gave the impression that the topic upsets me, Brewer. I admit that as a child-free by choice, and having been questioned on this decision more than once, I have strong feelings on the subject and am, by default, a little defensive. But I assure you, it no longer upsets me. I'm quite comfortable with our choice.

I merely wanted to point out that parents cannot play the "martyr" card, as though they did what they did for society's sake, while calling the child-free "selfish" (or, in your case, "self-indulgent"). The truth, of course, is that both groups made their choices for self-indulgent reasons. The only difference, temporally, is that more recent cohorts appear to recognize that the rigors of parenthood are significant and long-term, whereas preceding generations may have been more prone to "drink the Kool-Aid" and accept the belief that it would somehow all be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I do have to wonder: if people are so concerned that the earth is overpopulated, why are they not either committing suicide or killing people?
Is that a serious question? Just because someone chooses not to reproduce doesn't mean they lack empathy for their fellow man. There's an enormous difference between taking a life that's already here, and merely preventing a potential life from coming into being.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #69

The digital addiction that millennials have is really disturbing.

I love my Mac and iPhone and XPS Dell. But this cell phone addiction thing with young people is over the top.

With my job I go to some Universities and many different types of businesses.

I swear millennials just seem to be on Facebook all damn day. How many hours do people actually do real work.

My kid is a millennial in college and he cannot be without his damn cell phone at all. His friends are all the same way.

They text and stare at that cell phone 24/7. Cell phone zombies!! Yes I sound old.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post

I love my Mac and iPhone and XPS Dell. But this cell phone addiction thing with young people is over the top.

Adults are the same way. I've been on two trips lately where the gadgets ruled. I just didn't talk to those people till they got it out of their system.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Adults are the same way. I've been on two trips lately where the gadgets ruled. I just didn't talk to those people till they got it out of their system.
Yes. When I go snowboarding and skiing I am amazed at how many people stop in the middle of a ski trail to check their damn phone.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw this thread and thought of this:

Wong, Leonard. Generations Apart: Xers and Boomers in the Officer Corps

I found this was very interesting when I read it in college. Essentially Baby boomers view themselves as their jobs. Gen X (my generation) see's themselves as their activities, social groups, friends, family, etc.

If you ask a boomer what they do, they may respond with "I am a General", but if you ask a Gen X, they may answer, I play rugby, cook, am involved in cause abc, oh and I am in the Army.

Quote:
Looking at all that, do you really have to wonder why Millennials question the wisdom of following the same path? While it may sound cynical/selfish, many are asking "what's in it for me?" This isn't a bad question to ask about most things in life, unless one is feeling charitable/generous.
Amen to that. I saw my parents do the working for the man thing for 25+ years only to get downsized in the latest round of layoffs. I love my parents, but that's not the life I want, per se. I've already lived it watching them grow up and for part of my life.

I look ahead and A see the same thing every day, which isn't particularly enticing, and B I see many people who are doing stuff that I would never want to do. If that's all there is, I need to do something else.

I prefer Jack reacher's thoughts on freedom.
bad_LNIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:33 AM   #73

Quote:
As I said, the childless lotus-eaters are unlikely to agree with anything other than their chosen lifestyle. So be it. I can see you are getting upset, so I will leave you to go your separate way.
Rolling back a bit...
Quote:
... I see little point in debate.
I now understand your earlier comment better. You don't want to debate your personal opinion. You want everyone to simply kowtow to it and abide by your personal preferences in this regard, and you're prepared to try to evade reasonable and substantive challenges to your preferences by name-calling, puerile attempts to insult people who disagree with you, and other assorted rhetorical tactics.

bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
We probably aren't headed for a Japanese population model for one key reason - immigration. Japan greatly restricts immigration (always has), so population growth from faster reproducing immigrants isn't an option. Contrast this to Europe, which has had a similar reproduction rate decline and chose to address the problem by encouraging immigration from the Middle East, India, etc.... The downside, if you want to call it one, is that the "native" culture of many European countries is slowly dying off. Then again, this is how it's always been where immigration is encouraged.
+1. The US has been very successful with immigration. Our millennials can have their Euro child-replacement-rate cake and eat it too. That said, my crazy son has three kids. DD can go with one and between them they are still at Brewer rates.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I don't know about that.

I've always been annoyed that I was part of the "baby Boomer" generation. I don't "identify" with much of the stereotype.

Lumping people into groups based on something like birthday seems kinda silly to me. But that's probably just me being ornery.
Well that has been the basic theme of this thread, differences between the age groups. Your comment basically supports what I was trying to imply, its kind of silly to make such comparisons/criticisms as we all grew up in different times and circumstances and I suppose there is a tendency that we each think our personal values/mores are the best. I am a boomer and have no problem with millennials, genxers or others.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
+1. The US has been very successful with immigration.
The USA has absolutely been successful at it. Without all of the cheap labor, companies would be forced to pay higher wages for their workers. High-tech and high wage earners are not the 'average' immigrant job.

Wages are falling. The over supply of labor is causing it.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post

With my job I go to some Universities and many different types of businesses.

I swear millennials just seem to be on Facebook all damn day. How many hours do people actually do real work.

My kid is a millennial in college and he cannot be without his damn cell phone at all. His friends are all the same way.

They text and stare at that cell phone 24/7. Cell phone zombies!! Yes I sound old.
I think a lot of kids are like that. I go a laugh out of this headline from the Onion:

Brain-Dead Teen, Only Capable Of Rolling Eyes And Texting, To Be Euthanized | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Rolling back a bit... I now understand your earlier comment better. You don't want to debate your personal opinion. You want everyone to simply kowtow to it and abide by your personal preferences in this regard, and you're prepared to try to evade reasonable and substantive challenges to your preferences by name-calling, puerile attempts to insult people who disagree with you, and other assorted rhetorical tactics.

Like everyone else here.

Welcome to the internets, where everyone except the ghost of Mother Teresa is an @sshole.

- George Orwell

Old 10-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
+1. The US has been very successful with immigration. Our millennials can have their Euro child-replacement-rate cake and eat it too. That said, my crazy son has three kids. DD can go with one and between them they are still at Brewer rates.
Immigration has certainly plugged the gap for the US in the past, and despite the up-front cost of taking in uneducated, illegal, Third World immigrants who come with no capital there have clearly been a great deal of compensating positives over the long term. Perhaps this will continue to be the case.

I suppose I should not care, really. I passed my genes along and my kids will be starting out considerably ahead of the vast majority of the US population.

- George Orwell

Old 10-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #80
gone traveling

Quote:
Welcome to the internets, where everyone except the ghost of Mother Teresa is an @sshole.
Ain't that the truth
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote