Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
In that case, you are of course entitled to go full "Dirty Harry" on us young punks.

You wrote earlier "as a bona fide Gen X or Gen Y -er" (emphasis mine), so I thought, "Hey, this guy can't be his cake and hate it, too!"

Interestingly, it means I hate my wife. When I get home tomorrow, I plan to open a beer, sit in a plastic chair until she gets home and yell at her to "Get off my lawn, millennial!" If only she were born a few months earlier...

I wonder how that will go...
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

nash, that should work just fine, as long as you don't plan to go to sleep anywhere within hatchet range of her this weekend.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #123

We don't own a hatchet, however we do own a sword and lots of kitchen knives.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Interestingly, it means I hate my wife. When I get home tomorrow, I plan to open a beer, sit in a plastic chair until she gets home and yell at her to "Get off my lawn, millennial!" If only she were born a few months earlier...

I wonder how that will go...
Sounds like something you would hear out of the Cartman character on Southpark. LOL.

Haven't watched the show in years but DW was viewing a youtube collage yesterday.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Sounds like something you would hear out of the Cartman character on Southpark. LOL.

Haven't watched the show in years but DW was viewing a youtube collage yesterday.

-gauss

Doing this in a Cartman voice will make it much funnier... For me...Thanks for the suggestion!

"GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU DIRTY MILLENIAL!!"
Old 10-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

I could see a sword working pretty well...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #127
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Every generation is worse than the last, yet the world in continually a better place, century after century.
Is it?

Are you sure about that?

Maybe I'm just jaded and cynical, but I perceive a world that is actually regressing in many ways. The previous generation put a man on the moon, and had space shuttles and supersonic commercial flight.

No human has walked on the moon in my lifetime. I'm 39. I've never been on a supersonic jetliner, and it looks like I never will. The space shuttles are collecting dust in museums.

Now add escalating world conflict, terrorism, famine, climate change, disease (SARS, Ebola, etc.), stagnant wage/economic growth, the post-9/11 hyper-security state, home and education price growth exceeding inflation, increasing personal and governmental debt, sovereign nations going bankrupt left and right ...

Is this world really better than the one in 1985? Why, just because we have cell phones an an Internet now?

It's hard to be optimistic about the future. This is one of the main reasons my wife and I chose to remain child-free. I couldn't in good conscience bring a child into a world I perceive as falling apart, and getting worse by the year.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:34 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Is this world really better than the one in 1985? Why, just because we have cell phones an an Internet now?
Here is some random guy on the internet trying to say: YES.

Because:
  • Child mortality has dropped like a rock.
  • People have never lived longer as today.
  • Extreme poverty has more than halved in the last 15 years or so.
  • Girls in most places in the world are going to school.
  • People dying in wars is drastically down.
  • Accidents and fatalities in the workplace are way down.
  • Child labor is on track to being eradicated in most countries.
No cell phones or internet needed.

Too lazy right now to find the stats for you, but this is a good starting point: Hans and Ola Rosling: How not to be ignorant about the world | Talk Video | TED.com

That said, the United States may be declining in some areas (middle and lower class specifically), but the world is better off, and will likely continue to march onwards. Massively so.

There are challenges of course (climate change in particular), but we've had those before. Odds are good that we'll address those and build a better world still.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Is it? Are you sure about that? Maybe I'm just jaded and cynical
I think that was dallas27's point. It is human nature as people get older to have a jaded view of the past and an erroneously negative view of the present in comparison. To be fair, there absolutely are ups and downs along the steady path upward, but there is no rational basis on which to assert that 337 of ascendancy of human civilization has suddenly, just this generation, stopped and reversed. If anything, it would be far too soon to even think one has the valid perspective necessary to see such an inflection point, much less be able to prove such an assertion.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #130
gone traveling

Seems our views today are jaded by instantaneous news being delivered by the media, especially when it turns out to be wrong until the facts are checked. Years ago, there was probably a lot of negative things happening that we never heard about.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

We're all doomed!!!!

Now get off my lawn...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Millennials and Work.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #132

Millennials and Work.

From 5000 BC to 2014 AD, pick a year that you would choose to be born into an an "average" family.

I would expect all of us who really think it through choose a number relatively close to 2014.

If that is true, you are, with ordinality, ranking the past as worse than expected future.

dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #133

Geez... leave out one word and for some reason what you wrote makes no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think that was dallas27's point. It is human nature as people get older to have a jaded view of the past and an erroneously negative view of the present in comparison. To be fair, there absolutely are ups and downs along the steady path upward, but there is no rational basis on which to assert that 337
years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
of ascendancy of human civilization has suddenly, just this generation, stopped and reversed. If anything, it would be far too soon to even think one has the valid perspective necessary to see such an inflection point, much less be able to prove such an assertion.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #134
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
We're all doomed!!!!
Just the millennials. Everyone else is fine.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Born in 1980, only 15 years left before they start getting those ads for river cruises and walk-in tubs...poor things
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Born in 1980, only 15 years left before they start getting those ads for river cruises and walk-in tubs...poor things
Uh, I was born about 15 years prior to 1980. Is my mail content going to undergo a change in tone soon?

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Uh, I was born about 15 years prior to 1980. Is my mail content going to undergo a change in tone soon?

-gauss
Depends on whether the AARP has found you. If so, expect to get that sort of mail content.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Here is some random guy on the internet trying to say: YES.

Because:
  • Child mortality has dropped like a rock.
  • People have never lived longer as today.
  • Extreme poverty has more than halved in the last 15 years or so.
  • Girls in most places in the world are going to school.
  • People dying in wars is drastically down.
  • Accidents and fatalities in the workplace are way down.
  • Child labor is on track to being eradicated in most countries.
and
  • Cold War is over, much reduced risk of nuclear war with USSR/Russia
  • Air is much cleaner (at least in US) CO down 84%, Ozone down 33%, Sulfur Dioxide down 60%, lead down 92%, etc. (EPA: 1980-2013)
  • Bald Eagle removed from Federal List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants

Still no flying cars though :-(
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
From 5000 BC to 2014 AD, pick a year that you would choose to be born into an an "average" family.

I would expect all of us who really think it through choose a number relatively close to 2014.

Not me. I would chose 1948 give or take a couple years. I would have to be a caucasian male and not get drafted otherwise I would chose 2014. I would be "coming of age" in the mid-late 60's with sex, drugs and rock n roll, counterculture, free love. I think I would've really enjoyed that time socially compared to when I was that age in the late 90's. Also, there wasn't a need for a college degree like there is now. People who are below average intelligence like me could get a factory job that paid rather well AND had a pension and full benefit package. Now days if you're not smart enough for college you're pretty much screwed. Maybe you could do ok in sales if you have the right personality which I don't.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Aaron, you've said this before on the forum, and I refuse to believe you. You have more good sense and express yourself better than some Ph.D's I know.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
People who are below average intelligence like me
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote