Join Early Retirement Today

Millionaire Inside
Old 08-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Millionaire Inside

I caught part of what I think is a new show on CNBC called The Millionaire Inside. Has anyone watched this program? If so, do you think it's a good show offering solid advice or do the panelists just spout off the same old cliche's?
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's only one thing you need to know about the panelists: Robert Kiyosaki is a member.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Kiyosaki's worthless drivel aside, is there any good, practical advice shared on the program?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
Kiyosaki's worthless drivel aside, is there any good, practical advice shared on the program?
I can't give you an in-depth analysis as I've only watched a few fragments.

I've caught this show a couple of times while flipping channels. The first time I saw it I thought it was some cheesy infomercial. Watched maybe 30 seconds of it and went on. The next time I ran across it, the panelist speaking was Larry Wingett, author of something called Shut Up. Stop Whining and Get a Life.

What demographic he was going after with that title I don't know.

But I remember looking at this guy

and wondering if the show was the CNBC version of reality TV. Like "Dog the Bounty Hunter Shows You How to Make a Million!" I watched maybe a minute of the show that time. Not being judgmental about his looks, but it seemed to be part of an act. A "I'm larger than life and in your face" investment counselor and life coach kind of facade. Not necessarily because that was his personality, but because that was the shtick he used to sell whatever he sells. No thanks.

The third time I ran across it I saw Kiyosaki spewing his junk and clicked onward hoping to find an episode of Cops that I haven't already watched a 100 times.

There is an upside - Erin Burnett is the host. But she apparently insists on doing the show clothed, so I can't bring myself to watch even just to see her.

I hate to make snap judgements, but based on what little I have seen of this show, if you gave me a choice between watching this or a rerun of Pimp My Ride - I'm watching my man Xzibit turn a hooptie 78 Vega into a fine looking short.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

So, what you're saying is I should watch assistant D.A. Jack McCoy prosecute some more felons on Law & Order and not wast my time with this show?

Interesting, does anyone have anything positive to say about the show?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I watched it last night for the first time. It was entertaining, but I wouldn't actually DO the things they suggest. If I did, I would have dumped my job and all my friends today. In my opinion, that is not good advice for me. It was interesting to listen to Kiyosaki for the first time, since I had heard a lot of bad things about him already from Frank.

I laughed when Leonidas mentioned "Dog the Bounty Hunter Teaches you How to Make a Million!" because I had the EXACT same reaction. I also wondered if he was a former professional wrestler.

Yes, I should have watched Law and Order! (Really, it is much better). Now if SVU had been on, I would have skipped the show entirely.

Eyerishgold, I don't mean to be totally negative about it. I really did think it was entertaining, and it got me to thinking about some things. That's probably the main point of it, don't you think?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #7

I perused the brief bios for the panelists at CNBC.Com and I think my first impression may be the accurate one. Some of them claim to have made serious cheese in investments/business, but most of them seem to have qualifications limited to being an author or motivational speaker. They all have a book, or a program, or do speaking engagements - during which they will tell you the real secret to how you can get rich, be handsome or get laid on a regular basis.

Sorry that I'm so jaded, but it smells like snake oil to me.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #8

Here's my secret information on how to become a millionaire...

1) start saving and investing as a young person.

2) forego all that crap (fancy cars etc.) that won't really make you happy and will delay your becoming a millionaire

3) rinse and repeat

Should I write a book and give lectures ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Want2retire, I agree. There's nothing better than watching Benson and Stabler crack the case on SVU.

As far as the saving and investing goes, I'm 27 and have been maxing out my 401k since my first "real" j*b at 21. I have a Roth IRA, a Traditional Rollover IRA and a brokerage account I contribute to monthly. I also own my home and drive a 5 year old Jeep Wrangler, which I love dearly. I've done the math and I've been planning my early exit from the workplace for years now.

All that being said, I'm always trying to learn new ways to help me achieve my goal. I was just wondering if this show offered any tidbits of info that could help me out on my journey.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post

2) forego all that crap (fancy cars etc.) that won't really make you happy and will delay your becoming a millionaire

3) rinse and repeat

MasterBlaster, I think you should! I wish my 29-year-old daughter would listen to some great advice like that. Being her mother, I can't tell her anything.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post

3) rinse and repeat

Get a shtick and you can be the next Larry Winget. His is apparently to repeat common sense, that everyone should know, and give it a tough love spin. I've managed to find a few quotes here and there and it's all "in your face" rude as hell tough-talk along the same vein as what you wrote. People are not successful because they are 1) Lazy, 2) Stupid, 3) Don't give a damn.

Here are some quotes/synopsis that I found from an Amazon review:
Quote:
The honest, no "kick-butt"-pulled approach to discussing health in the 8th chapter of this book should be read by those struggling to start a healthy lifestyle.

"Turn off the T.V., get off your fatt butt and do something."

"Now Let's Get Really Ugly about Your Health...is that Twinkie really more important to you than your kids?...Fat people die quicker."

"Find a skinny doctor who doesn't smoke."

"You do not have glandular problems."
But this quote, from his blog, is my absolute favorite:
Quote:
Larry’s all time best advice for business success: Do what you said you were going to do, when you said you were going to do it, in exactly the way you said you were going to do it. You won’t ever get any better business advice than that.

Be there when you said you would be there. Deliver when you said you would deliver. Call when you said you would call. Be a person who can be counted on by keeping his word every time. That’s all you want from your coworkers, employee, or employer. That’s all that your customer wants. It is really all that any of us want.

“If I do all of this, Larry, will I be successful?”

Beats me. Success is a funny thing.
Most everything he teaches is simple common sense. I learned most of it as a kid, although some advanced lessons did come later in life. He's just reiterating what everyone should have learned from their folks.

As for the in your face motivation style - I wasn't that impressed. Of course, I went to a several month long, all expenses paid, motivation course held on a very exclusive island along the South Carolina coast, taught by the world's most recognized experts in motivating young men:

Old 08-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Larry Winget is the host of the show Big Spender. Big Spender (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He visits people in financial trouble, yells at them, puts them on a budget, and then lectures them some more when they don't follow the plan. I watched the show twice. I was fascinated that people were willing to go on TV and expose their bad decisions and behaviors. Lots of tears. No idea as to effectiveness but the unseemly factor is high.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Larry Wingnut...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

.....so nothing positive about this one.

Are there ANY shows you'd recommend either on TV or on the radio that give good advice?

What about Suzie Orman......LMAO.....Just Kiddin'.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
Are there ANY shows you'd recommend either on TV or on the radio that give good advice?
Not for my money. Even the venerable Lou Rukeyser had mostly "stock pickers" on his show...

"Everyone has a system, but they can't seem to win. Even Bob Geldorf looks alarmingly thin..." Loudin Wainwright III

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #16

I started to watch the show a couple of times, but every time one of the panelists would start to say something, Bob Kyosucky would just butt in and take over. That ended any chance of me ever watching that show again. From now on it's either 'Cops', or 'Law & Order' for me! Or maybe even 'Trick My Truck' with the Chrome Shop Nazis Mafia!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #17

This show is jumping on the 'IT's LATER THEN YOU THINK' retirement bandwagon with a dash of 'GET RICH QUICK' greed factor that seems to be pervasive in our society today.
For the typical FIRE forum reader/poster, there is the entertainment (sorta like watching a car accident) value. There is no learning/educational value on this show at all. CNBC is doing the public an injustice in airing this kind of drivel. Someone will actually try to use these guys advice and end up worse then when they started.
... my 2 cents worth
Old 08-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
... my 2 cents worth
I think your 2 cents worth, is worth a lot more than there 60 minute show!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote