Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: In your system, what is the minimum age to draw a pension benefit?
No minimum age and no other conditions 1 3.45%
No minimum age, with years of service requirement 4 13.79%
Minimum retirement age under 45 2 6.90%
Minimum retirement age 45 to 50 0 0%
Minimum retirement age 50 to 55 7 24.14%
Minimum retirement age 55 to 60 15 51.72%
Minimum retirement age 60 to 65 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Minimum possible age at retirement
Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Minimum possible age at retirement

Public employees, including military: in your system, what is the minimum age at which an employee can retire and start drawing a retirement benefit?

In SCERS, it's possible to retire at any age with thirty years of service. With less than thirty years, you have to be at least 52 and have 20 years of service. Except 30-year employees, if you are either under 52 or under 20 years, you are not eligible for retirement benefits.

Please don't vote in the poll unless you are now or have been in the past, employed by local, state or federal government, including military.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure that a few young teenagers have talked their way past the military recruiters to get in their 20 years. I'd have to check on "celebrities" like Hackworth.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm sure that a few young teenagers have talked their way past the military recruiters to get in their 20 years. I'd have to check on "celebrities" like Hackworth.
ISTM I read somewhere that one of the last surviving World War 1 veterans lied his way into the Navy at age 16.

Who's Hackworth?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

I work for the Canadian government. So maybe not a lot of people will be interested to know some of our pension rules.

Minimum age to get an "immediate annuity" is 50. However there is a substantial penalty - 5% for every year you are under the age for 55.

Practically speaking, the minimum requirement for an unreduced annuity is 55 yrs old and 30 years service. You get 2% of your pay for every year of service to a max of 70% of the average of your best 5 years.

Another option to retire with an unreduced pension is to retire at 60. You can retire at 60 with an unreduced annuity, regardless of years in. So with 20 yrs in, a 60 year old can retire with 40% of the average of his best 5 years.

Hope this makes sense!
oneils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #5

I voted before I read the requirements of the voter at the bottom of the first post (military, state, local, federal govt). Might want to put that stipulation in the header.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #6

My minimum retirment age in the federal FERS system is 56 years and 4 months (for my age group). That comes with significant "early retirment" penalties and frozen COLA until age 62.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
ISTM I read somewhere that one of the last surviving World War 1 veterans lied his way into the Navy at age 16.
Who's Hackworth?
Well, OK, you made me look up his enlistment age: he was 14 years old.

David Hackworth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

COL "Hack" Hackworth USA (RET) was one of America's most decorated combat veterans, utterly lacking in social grooming or tact, an outspoken critic of the Vietnam War (after four tours there), and a pretty fair writer. He was also the military journalist who determined that CNO Admiral Boorda was wearing decorations to which he was not entitled, which may have been one of several factors causing Boorda to commit suicide.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #8

My agency requires that one be 55 with 20 years of service in order to retire. Military time can be purchased and count toward years of service.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote