Join Early Retirement Today

Minimum wage. Raise it, lower it...?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Minimum wage. Raise it, lower it...?

Behind the minimum wage debate - Sep. 5, 2008

A lot of strong opinions on both sides. What do you think?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #2

eliminate it!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
eliminate it!
Ditto.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

x2. Dump it.

Or, make it $100 an hour! Take this dumb "suspension of market forces" idea to it's logical conclusion! Everyone will be rich, RICH, RICH!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Seven-fifty an hour.

http://www.epi.org/minwage/epi_minimum_wage_2006.pdf

Everyone won't be rich and no one thinks so.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #6

Quick! Move this to 'Soap Box' before it is too late!
Old 09-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Quick! Move this to 'Soap Box' before it is too late!
Too late - too late. I still remember the screaming and yelling, gnashing of teeth when my minimum wage rocketed from $1.15 to $ 1.25 per hour.

I of course lost my job - my stay ended and I went back to college. Washington State circa 1960's. The guy who was planting tree's I trained as a replacement apparently hoped for a little more - he was diddling the boss's daughter and a marriage date had been set.

- two themes in this post that have been going on like forever.

heh heh heh - Yep definitely soap box material.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #8

Like working for 1.5 lbs of bacon per hr. Sign me up!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Like working for 1.5 lbs of bacon per hr. Sign me up!
I'll take that, but I want benefits too! Like eggs, hashbrowns, and buttered wheat toast......with strawberry jam! And if I can't have it all.....I won't work, and thus I'll stay unemployed.....forever!!!

-------------------------
Hmmmmm.......bacon........I think I'll go make a bacon & egg sandwich!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:36 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I would leave it as is.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Eliminate it but only if hourly employees determine the pay for all management, including company executives - no more CEO's getting the board to approve their pay.

Otherwise, raise it to 7.50/hr
Old 09-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Looks like you $7.50 proponents will get (almost) your way in July 2009 when the Federal min wage goes to $7.25/hr.

My understanding of the issue was that very few actually receive the minimum wage and that most that do receive it are temporary workers (high school students) or those that may not depend on their wages for their livelihood. Exceptions exist and I'm sure many on here will claim they are abundant.

I don't mean to say that raising the min wage won't have spillover effects raising the nominal wage of those making a buck or two more than minimum wage.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #13

Eliminate it! Just another "political talking point". Except for back when I was about 15 (yes I lied about my age) did I ever get minimum wage - actually worked two jobs at the same time so I guess I actually got the minimum wage times 2.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Looks like you $7.50 proponents will get (almost) your way in July 2009 when the Federal min wage goes to $7.25/hr.
I guess the politicians here in the broke state of IL feel the need to 'out do' the Feds. This is from the State of Illinois website:
Quote:
Illinois' Minimum Wage Increases to $7.75 on July 1st, 2008
Governor Blagojevich reminds Illinois employers and workers that the state’s minimum wage increases to $7.75 an hour starting on July 1, 2008. The minimum wage will increase by an additional 25 cents in each of the following two years to $8.00 on July 1, 2009; and $8.25 on July 1, 2010.
Quote:
My understanding of the issue was that very few actually receive the minimum wage and that most that do receive it are temporary workers (high school students) or those that may not depend on their wages for their livelihood. Exceptions exist and I'm sure many on here will claim they are abundant.
IIRC, here in IL it applies only to people 18 and older, and there are many other exceptions and exclusions from that increase, so it actually only hits a minority of working folks and not millions as Blago would have the citizenry believe.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I don't mean to say that raising the min wage won't have spillover effects raising the nominal wage of those making a buck or two more than minimum wage.
From my link above: While controversy about the precise employment effects of the minimum wage continues, research has shown that most of the beneficiariesare adults, most are female, and the vast majority are membersof low-income working families.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I say get rid of it. Those people are making too much already. And let's give the CEOs a raise...

This is sarcasm...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #17

In the case of wages, the market takes care of itself.

I never understood the whole point to the minimum wage since there is a minimum that people will work for anyway. Would anyone in the United States work for 1 penny an hour? There you go.

The minimum wage can only hurt the economy in forcing some employers to pay an artificially high rate per hour for certain jobs. It's just as bad as having a maximum wage.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
From my link above: While controversy about the precise employment effects of the minimum wage continues, research has shown that most of the beneficiariesare adults, most are female, and the vast majority are membersof low-income working families.
Thanks for point that out. I didn't read your link before. I was actually referring to those earning the minimum wage in my earlier post. The quote you provided refers to "beneficiaries" of the min wage - which most likely includes those earning more than min wage but would nevertheless benefit from a "rising tide" in low wage rates.

I noted that when I said "I don't mean to say that raising the min wage won't have spillover effects raising the nominal wage of those making a buck or two more than minimum wage."
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Seven-fifty an hour.

http://www.epi.org/minwage/epi_minimum_wage_2006.pdf

Everyone won't be rich and no one thinks so.
The really crazy thing, IMO, is to have a minimum wage and *not* tie it to inflation. I don't understand how anyone can be for something like that, but not throw in an automatic inflation adjustment?

The standard answer is that it is something for politicians to argue about every few years, to distract us from real issues. Could be.

But not to disappoint you, no, I'm not in favor of a minimum wage. I have yet to see a situation where price controls do more good than harm (overall). I noticed the title in your link says 'Hundreds of Economists Say: Raise the Minimum Wage'. But what if Thousands of Economists Say: Eliminate the Minimum Wage? I guess we need a poll?

-ERD50
Old 09-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The quote you provided refers to "beneficiaries" of the min wage - which most likely includes those earning more than min wage but would nevertheless benefit from a "rising tide" in low wage rates.
If min wage was $7.50 for example - how do they differentiate between someone making $8.00 and someone making minimum wage plus $0.50?

There is going to be a rising tide effect, I'm sure. I'm not sure anyone could quantify it. And w/o a minimum wage, you would not need to. Nice, pure, free-market numbers to help us make real decisions, unclouded by government interference.

-ERD50