Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Minivan - Toyota or Honda?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Minivan - Toyota or Honda?

A client is looking for a new minivan. He wants either a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna.

Anybody own one or have an opinion? I don't see how you can go wrong either way............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Minivan - Toyota or Honda?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

We looked at both a couple of years ago and ended up with the Honda. The main reasons were the ride and the bundling.

- The Toyota has a much softer, floatier ride (buick-like) that made me ill when sitting in the back. The Honda has a somewhat firmer ride and tighter handling/steering.
- Toyota (at least at the time) did some annoying bundling stuff. We wanted side curtain airbags and traction control. These were standard on every trim level of the Honda, while toyota made you buy thousands of dollars of doodads I couldn't care less about in order to get the safety features.

The toyota was a bit quieter, but not hugely so. Consumers suggests taht the toyota is slightly more reliable than the honda, but we've yet to have a problem (albeit in a 2 YO car).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We looked at both in 2000 and also ended up with the Honda. We bought a basic LX with floormats.

We were deciding based on reliability, safety, cost, and convenience. The Honda was as reliable, a bit safer, a bit cheaper, but the convenience factor is what tilted it towards the Honda. It was larger and roomier inside, and the seat configurations and fold-down rear seat made the car more flexible.

The only thing I didn't like after we bought it was the fact that it didn't have "automatic off" headlights, so you can run down your battery if you forget to turn off the lights. But there is a dinger thing so it's pretty hard to forget.

Also, the engine horsepower was a little bit low for my liking.

Both the horsepower and the headlight issue have been fixed in more recent models.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

we have a 2001 Honda. Love it. Drives well and the flexibility in the seating is great. Don't know if other vans have caught up with that yet, but only Honda had the 3rd row that could fold away or flip over for tailgate seating. The 2nd row can move between captain or bench seats, fold up or come out.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #5

I bought a 2000 Sienna and at that time the Honda was significantly bigger and had the disappearing 3rd row seat.

The current generation of Sienna has been enlarged and has a SPLIT 3rd row fold-down seat. I don't know about the rides of the new versions, but when comparing my folks' 2001 Honda with my 2000 Sienna (I get to drive both when we visit them), there is NO comparison. The Honda is punishing over anything other than a smooth road.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The Sienna has a real bare bones trim line called the CE. Bought a 2005 for my son and it's great. Same engine, power train, body, suspension, etc. as all their higher priced trim lines. And, surprisingly, the appointments don't seem all that bare bone! Out the door, taxes and everything, for $23.2K.

If you're trying to keep the cost down and can live without leather seats and leather wrapped steering wheel, etc., take a look at one. At that time, Honda did not offer an equivalent trim line.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Just want to give a vote for the Toyota Sienna. I have my 2nd one now. The first (God bless it) was absolutely crushed in a wreck. We were travelling on the highway, cruising along at about 55 mph and were hit head-on by a drunk driver who turned in front of us. The van was completely totaled (hit in the front, then in the side and back from spinning), but we (2 adults & 2 kids) walked away from it with only seatbelt & air bag damage (scrapes/abrasians from being walloped by the airbags). The van's engine truly did collapse to the ground rather than landing in our laps/crushing into the interior of the car. The airbags did their job all the way around.

Happy ending, thank goodness.

Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought our Sienna new in 2001 are the fifth in our extended family of seven to purchase one. Everyone still has theirs; ours just passed the 100k mark this year. Other than routine maintenance, we've had NO problems with this van, and I plan to hold on to it for the forseeable future.
I didn't test drive the Honda, mainly due to all my family members' good experiences with their Siennas.
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

They're both great. Drive both and see which one has 'that feature' that grabs you, otherwise see carsdirect for who has the big deals right now and get the cheaper of the two.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:28 AM   #10

2002 grey honda minivan bought new
135,000 mi
lots of 2000# boat towing
No serious issues.
Pop the two middle seats and even unbolt-remove the rear foldown seat for some serious hauling.

Only downside is accidently getting into the wrong one since the grey ones are everywhere. I do it at least 3 times a year :P
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
They're both great. Drive both and see which one has 'that feature' that grabs you, otherwise see carsdirect for who has the big deals right now and get the cheaper of the two.
Not going new, I see no need to........... I understand wanting LOW miles on a domestic product, but as I see it what's the big deal if the van is clean, at the right price, and has 50K on it? In other words, what's 50K on a Toyota or Honda, 16% of it's life expectancy??

I am leaning toward a Sienna LE with alloy wheels and a hitch to pull the "future boat".............

Old 04-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Havent priced them out lately, but most of my used honda/toyota excursions show that they dont depreciate enough to take the mileage and mystery history risk.

Carsdirect shows a new 07 LE for $22667 in my zip code, might be higher or lower in yours. Get your wheels and hitch aftermarket for half price. While you're at it, put some better tires than the OEM crudballs on it and sell the old wheel/tires to someone to make up half the cost.

The LX odyssey is 24k...looks like the extra $1500 in incentives makes the sienna the better deal.

Looks like one a couple of years old with about 50k miles on it will run you about 17-18k. Might have some extra options on it, but 4k isnt much extra to get a new one. You'll get it back on the resale.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Havent priced them out lately, but most of my used honda/toyota excursions show that they dont depreciate enough to take the mileage and mystery history risk.

Carsdirect shows a new 07 LE for $22667 in my zip code, might be higher or lower in yours. Get your wheels and hitch aftermarket for half price. While you're at it, put some better tires than the OEM crudballs on it and sell the old wheel/tires to someone to make up half the cost.

The LX odyssey is 24k...looks like the extra $1500 in incentives makes the sienna the better deal.

Looks like one a couple of years old with about 50k miles on it will run you about 17-18k. Might have some extra options on it, but 4k isnt much extra to get a new one. You'll get it back on the resale.
I priced out the LE package I want. I need the dual power doors, so I did option package 4. Also get the alloy wheels DW wants.............

MSRP was $29150. Invoice is $26326. They are suggesting I can get it for $25624 after $1250 rebate. So It will be almost $27,000 after tax, title, etc.

I found an LE like this one for $18000, but it's a 2005. One interesting thing I have found out. Apparently, the engineers at Toyota made the 2005 stronger with better body integrity in a crash than the 2004's.........

Old 04-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

So you dont want one of those old Caravans with the factory installed rear ejection seat?

Come on!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So you dont want one of those old Caravans with the factory installed rear ejection seat?

Come on!
Already have a Town and Country.............

However, my maintenance log is a good bookend already, and it's only been 3 and a half years........... :P :P

Old 04-21-2007, 07:50 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte
Just want to give a vote for the Toyota Sienna. I have my 2nd one now. The first (God bless it) was absolutely crushed in a wreck. We were travelling on the highway, cruising along at about 55 mph and were hit head-on by a drunk driver who turned in front of us. The van was completely totaled (hit in the front, then in the side and back from spinning), but we (2 adults & 2 kids) walked away from it with only seatbelt & air bag damage (scrapes/abrasians from being walloped by the airbags). The van's engine truly did collapse to the ground rather than landing in our laps/crushing into the interior of the car. The airbags did their job all the way around.

Happy ending, thank goodness.

Charlotte
You were very lucky.....just like this Honda Civic driver in Toronto yesterday (see video)

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

In 2002.... test drove both and went with the Toyota. The ride was much smoother and it generally felt a little more luxurious inside. Just a bit more comfortable than the harder ride of the Honda.

We've had an oxygen sensor go out at about 50k miles which cost a couple hundered to repair. No other problems.
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote