Minnesota's Ventura campaigns for Kinky Friedman

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - Colorful former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura helped promote writer and musician Kinky Friedman's independent quest for the Texas governorship with speeches at Texas colleges on Monday.

Martha, Greg, & C-T: Jesse's looking much more...uh...'relaxed' now that he's no longer your governator...

img_431094_0_bc610fb8b58b78a246c07a804f1f4710.jpg

The kinkster does not have a prayer of a chance to win the thing, however, being the master self-promoter that he is, he is in the process of establishing a long list of Texans who used to know nothing about him, but are now amused by his sharp whit and comments. I have been a big fan for 20 years or so however, I would not vote for the guy.

He is currently having a documentry show made that is structured around his campaign for governor. Check your local listing for time and chanel!

I did not in the least support Jesse when he was running for Governor.  However, he did accomplish some good stuff.  Light rail in the twin cities for one.  Most significantly, politics was taken out of political appointments so for once we had people appointed to jobs because they were the best qualified.  He appointed some really good people to be judges.  In contrast, his successor appointed some guys who had next to no experience, but had the right politics. 

This is the first picture I have seen of Jesse in a long time.  Cute.

Martha said:
Most significantly, politics was taken out of political appointments so for once we had people appointed to jobs because they were the best qualified.

Hmmm interesting concept. US Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald is starting the same process here in Chicago. (By indicting all of our current elected officials) most people here are excited to see the result.

Wahoo: In India, a decent number of retired householders become recluses (in search of God). They go to the woods, let their hair grow, and meditate. It looks like Jesse is doing one of those things--but too bad he's not doing it in India.

Apocalypse said:
Wahoo: In India, a decent number of retired householders become recluses (in search of God). They go to the woods, let their hair grow, and meditate. It looks like Jesse is doing one of those things--but too bad he's not doing it in India.

Greg, you don't give ol' Jesse enough credit. As I see it, he's hit 3 out of four: he is growing his hair, gone into the backwoods, and meditating on a winning strategy for Kinky.

As to what Jesse might be searching for, hell if I know.

Part of me wants to vote for Kinky. There's nothing wrong with wanting to kick out the established politicians of either party (or both). But some of the comments the man makes show that he is either ignorant or just saying crap that he thinks people want to hear. Like this little jewel:

According to his official Web site, Friedman's answer to the question "How does Kinky feel about abortion?" is "Kinky believes in a woman's right to choose." In person, however, he hedges his bet, saying "I'm not pro-life, and I'm not pro-choice. I'm pro-football."

Gee whiz - that man sure can take a stand on an issue!

Then there is his famous statement that he wants to decriminalize marijuana so he can make room in state prisons for violent offenders. I haven't heard anyone ask him just how many people that is.

Leonidas said:
Then there is his famous statement that he wants to decriminalize marijuana so he can make room in state prisons for violent offenders.  I haven't heard anyone ask him just how many people that is.
Typical politician. He's gonna make us think that he's tough on crime, when all he's really going to do is legalize marijuana and then tax the bejeezus out of it...

Leonidas said:
Part of me wants to vote for Kinky. There's nothing wrong with wanting to kick out the established politicians of either party (or both). But some of the comments the man makes show that he is either ignorant or just saying crap that he thinks people want to hear.

If you think Kinky isn't the right candidate for the job, just look at his competition.

The way I see it, Kinky is a clown, a wisecracking comedian. But since the other clowns in the race aren't nearly as funny, he will likely be the one getting my vote. (It helps my decision knowing the governor in this state has no real power.)

REWahoo! said:
If you think Kinky isn't the right candidate for the job, just look at his competition.
The way I see it, Kinky is a clown, a wisecracking comedian.  But since the other clowns in the race aren't nearly as funny, he will likely be the one getting my vote.  (It helps my decision knowing the governor in this state has no real power.)
Does Texas still have "None of the above" on the ballots?

Martha said:
Most significantly, politics was taken out of political appointments so for once we had people appointed to jobs because they were the best qualified.  He appointed some really good people to be judges.  In contrast, his successor appointed some guys who had next to no experience, but had the right politics.  .

No wonder you guys don't know how to deliver the vote and the DNC has to spend zillions of bux and lots of face time to deliver Minn electorial college votes. 

There's just no way that this Bible-Belt state will vote for a Jew who has a song "They don't make Jews like Jesus anymore." Is there? No matter. Gonna vote for him anyway. How hard could it be?

Nords said:
Typical politician. He's gonna make us think that he's tough on crime, when all he's really going to do is legalize marijuana and then tax the bejeezus out of it...

and the problem with this approach would be...:confused:?

doesn't seem too typical to me. A more typical politician supports using humongous amounts of law enforcement resources to prosecute people for a victimless crime while accepting money from tobacco an alcohol lobbies.

bosco said:
A more typical politician supports using humongous amounts of law enforcement resources to prosecute people for a victimless crime while accepting money from tobacco an alcohol lobbies.
Maybe we need a full-time hemp marijuana lobby...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom