Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Miracles of Modern Life (minor)
Old 08-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Miracles of Modern Life (minor)

Sometimes I am easily amazed. I placed an order with Oxford University Press Tuesday night and the item was delivered to me this afternoon about 3:30. It was a $25 dollar item and shipping was only $9. Picked out of the warehouse, flown across the Atlantic and to my door in approximately 70 hours.

For only $9 !!!
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Despite all the (ever increasing) hassles of travel, I am still blown away that I can leave a small rock in the middle of the Pacific and arrive at my mainland place almost 5000 miles away in less than 16 hours, door to door. Full disclosure - sometimes it takes a bit longer, but it could take less if I weren't so frugal (okay, cheap!) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I'm amazed that I can buy really good stuff made in China on ebay cheap for "free shipping" and it gets here fast.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm amazed that I can buy really good stuff made in China on ebay cheap for "free shipping" and it gets here fast.
Exactly! A little electronic item for $2.00, with free postage, and it's being flown from China. Lol. That's a slim profit there after Ebay fees, postage and oh ya manufacturing the thing.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah! I bought bags (100's various colors) for the same price as 5 at Radio Shack. Shipped free. And here in a week. And they all worked.

I love ebay!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazing that you can enter a street address for almost anywhere on your phone or computer and get directions for several modes of transportation to it, and a picture of the destination.
misshathaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #7

Marveled today about this (yet again): Information about practically anything, with instant access and neatly laid out by magical fairies: Wikipedia.

I can summon all kinds of food to my house, better than I can cook myself.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Amazing that you can enter a street address for almost anywhere on your phone or computer and get directions for several modes of transportation to it, and a picture of the destination.
And shows you which way you're going, and then talks you thru the directions!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Phones. They work in any language.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #10

Almost everything with a battery has a camera and "flash"light.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Permanent press! I am old enough that I remember doing the ironing for our family when I was a child, as one of my chores. What an awful, tedious, back-breaking task, not to mention the small burns that I always seemed to get on my hands.

But in recent years I haven't used my iron even once, and everything looks fine to me. I only buy permanent press instead of going out of my way to buy something that wrinkles, like linen. One of these days I'm going to donate my iron to Good Will, and they will probably look at it and say in puzzled tones, "What's this for?"

OK, permanent press isn't SUPER modern, but I am still awfully happy about it so I think it counts.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

International calling. No operator, callback, and cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
And shows you which way you're going, and then talks you thru the directions!
And I've notice recently with Google Maps that it will even tell you what time the next train/bus/tram will be at the nearest stop. Boggles the mind.

Also, last month I ordered something from England and it arrived four days later. It didn't fit well, so I asked for an exchange. They emailed me a label for free return, and I returned it via the UPS store a mile from my house. The replacement item arrived five days later. Just incredible.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #14

What is happening with radio control models of any type. I'm liking the little battery-powered foam airplanes with wingspans of 14" to 27" (for a sailplane) and weighing from 1.5 to 3 ounces. These I can fly in the back yard so I don't have to go anywhere. Now they have one with GPS and an autopilot so it will land itself near where it took off!

When I started in R/C in 1983 a "small" airplane weighed at least a couple of pounds and required a glow fuel (alcohol) powered engine. The power-to-weight ratio just wasn't there with ni-cad batteries for electrics to more than give a boost to a sailplane. And you needed a very large field to fly them.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Air conditioners. For less than a day's pay for most people in the US, we can buy a device that will keep several hundred square feet of our home cool and dehumidified no matter how hot it gets. It will run for about 10 years needing only about 10 minutes of care per year (rinse out the filter a few times). The cost for electricity is less than a dollar per day (i.e earned in about 3 minutes of work for most families in the US).
Summertime comfort that was unknown even to kings and the wealthiest people in the world less than 100 years ago.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Air conditioners. For less than a day's pay for most people in the US, we can buy a device that will keep several hundred square feet of our home cool and dehumidified no matter how hot it gets. It will run for about 10 years needing only about 10 minutes of care per year (rinse out the filter a few times). The cost for electricity is less than a dollar per day (i.e earned in about 3 minutes of work for most families in the US).
Summertime comfort that was unknown even to kings and the wealthiest people in the world less than 100 years ago.
+1

I grew up in PA, moved to the Midwest with a car without air. I often wondered what people did before ac in homes, and older native tells me about sleeping under trees in Swope Park. Good area to wake up dead today. That says bunches.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
+2

This and the whole information revolution.

I will never forget a handful of years ago my daughter got her first iTouch. We were sitting on her bed playing around with it and pulled down some imagery of mars. NASA had a probe active there at the time and we followed a link where we found the current weather on Mars.

I just sat there and considered the chain of human brilliance for my daughter casually pull down the near real time weather on a another planet to a device she was holding in her hand that had cost only a few hundred $$$.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Vacuum cleaner. A true miracle. Imagine trying to get a place truly clean without one.

No matter what kind of broom or feather duster, they just move the stuff around. Well, one can always try to wash everything.

But then the next miracle, indoor plumbing with running water and toilet. I grew up without either. First exposure to indoor plumbing when I arrived in the US at 17. Water carried in buckets from the community well, and outhouse. No joy like sitting on the throne in 10 below zero , with the wind whistling through the walls, and around the exposed regions.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
What is happening with radio control models of any type. I'm liking the little battery-powered foam airplanes with wingspans of 14" to 27" (for a sailplane) and weighing from 1.5 to 3 ounces. These I can fly in the back yard so I don't have to go anywhere. Now they have one with GPS and an autopilot so it will land itself near where it took off!

When I started in R/C in 1983 a "small" airplane weighed at least a couple of pounds and required a glow fuel (alcohol) powered engine. The power-to-weight ratio just wasn't there with ni-cad batteries for electrics to more than give a boost to a sailplane. And you needed a very large field to fly them.
I was watching these guys on TV racing R/C plans with cameras and they had on goggles to control the planes as if in the pilot seat, pretty awesome.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:44 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I can adjust the temperature in the house with a couple taps on the screen of my smart phone...regardless of whether I'm home or 500 miles away.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote