Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
For the outties , when you back up do you readjust your side mirrors so you can see the end of your car?
NO! No reason to re-adjust mirrors to back up... unless one was 90 years old with many fused vertebrae, a stuffed animal, or a penguin!

All three of those don't turn around and look backwards when backing, they back up using the left mirror instead, thereby putting small children in danger, and anyone in their rear-ward path that they can't see in the left mirror.

When I took my initial driving test long ago and far away, having the car moving in reverse and looking forward (like into the side mirror) was an immediate FAIL. I passed my test just fine

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I picked up on this many years ago from the car guys on NPR. I've always been grateful to them for this tip.

Car Talk
+1

I've been saved several times by setting the mirrors as per the Car Guys instructions.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll admit to being an "inny". But I seem to be among the minority who shoulder-check before changing lanes.
Is anybody else bothered by the many blind spots now built into cars? The pillars have gotten much wider and thicker, "black glass" has expanded around the rear window so that the effective viewing areas on some cars resembles a porthole, and the ridiculous "high beltline" styling has reduced visibility at all lower angles, especially directly aft. Some of this is due to the inclusion of air bags into the pillars, but much of it seems to be aesthetics. I much prefer a car with a more open feel and the ability to see out.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I was an inny because that's the way I learned how to set my mirrors in driving school, but then became an outty after watching a Youtube video several years ago.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'll admit to being an "inny". But I seem to be among the minority who shoulder-check before changing lanes.
I still shoulder-check as an outty. Just a quick glance in case something is in a sliver of a blind spot left over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I always watch cars go by me, from the center mirror to the side mirror and into my peripheral vision. I adjust the side mirror to minimize/equalize the blind spot between a car leaving the center mirror and entering the side mirror and the blind spot between the car leaving the side mirror and entering my peripheral vision. That usually ends up looking out far enough that you can't see your own car without moving your head to the left quite a bit. But there's usually still about a motorcycle sized blind spot at both transitions. I check those by leaning left for one and turning my head to look back for the other before changing lanes. The right side is not as bad with the typical wide-angle view, though the same setting procedure applies.
Exactly! And my habit is to do this every day as a double check, and keep me engaged in traffic situations. So, I don't have that reference of the side of my car, but I have the reference of real world traffic going by (or me passing them for the right mirror).

I still take the quick glance, and on backing, use my head not my mirrors. As I get older, this gets more difficult. Not sure what I'll say in 30 years when my spine is full of arthritis. Maybe I'll have to give up the keys. (Just went through that with Dad.)
Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I still shoulder-check as an outty. Just a quick glance in case something is in a sliver of a blind spot left over.
+1

Double checking, which I've always done, makes even more sense now as my reflexes are slowing down (at least compared to my teenage years). Better safe than sorry.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I drove my car today (not on the freeway but around town to run an errand) with the mirrors set up as an "outty" to avoid blind spots. I really like the set up (especially on passenger side) how when cars pass, as soon as the cars can't be seen on the rear view mirror they show up on the side mirrors.

But I don't know how comfortable the driver side will feel when I go on the freeway. I like to be able to keep track of cars on the left side from a distance having part of my car in view at a glance. Maybe with the new settings, constantly keeping track shouldn't be necessary..but that feels strange looking at the side mirror and not seeing my car. Old habits die hard.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post

NO! No reason to re-adjust mirrors to back up... unless one was 90 years old with many fused vertebrae, a stuffed animal, or a penguin!

All three of those don't turn around and look backwards when backing, they back up using the left mirror instead, thereby putting small children in danger, and anyone in their rear-ward path that they can't see in the left .
Not to disagree, but as a 56 year old with Cervical disk issues(no fusion), many folks have range of motion issues.

When I was much younger I drove a lot of miles in a straight(no trailer) log truck. There was no rearview mirror as the headache rack rendered any useless. We drove many miles backwards, no way to turn around at the log landings. I used both mirrors, and the fish eyes.

When driving on roads that allow for passing, I always tried to watch where other traffic was, or if they turned off. The scariest thing was if you were in left lane going to the right, was there something that had been missed? Today I give all truckers, RVs, busses a very wide berth.

Good technique shown, add fish eyes if you can.

MRG
Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Regardless of how mirrors are adjusted would everyone please take the time to also turn your head and look before you turn.

I'm just getting back to where I can ride my motorcycle again after lumbar fusion and 3 years of therapy. I don't want to wind up as road pizza because someone didn't see me (because they didn't look). I already had 6 close calls in the past where I almost "bought the farm" because someone didn't check first.

If you can't look then don't change lanes. If I make a mistake while riding then shame on me but I shouldn't have to die because someone else is too lazy to check before turning. What if I was an 18 wheeler instead? Then it might be too bad for you.

The roads are shared with motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles. Let's give everyone a chance to enjoy their retirement and die of old age in their sleep.

Cheers
Old 09-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #30

You can usually see your car with the mirrors adjusted "out" if you move your head close to the driver's window. That's good enough to aid backing, in addition to actually looking back.

Kind of creeps my mom out that I can still twist my neck to look over my shoulder, but it is becoming harder as I get less young.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

IMHO, Fiddling with the rear view mirrors when traffic is moving at 70+ MPH is as distracting and dangerous as texting while driving.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
IMHO, Fiddling with the rear view mirrors when traffic is moving at 70+ MPH is as distracting and dangerous as texting while driving.
I'm fairly sure no one is advocating that. Even if you had that inclination, moving your head to get a different angle of view in the mirror is much more effective.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #33

Outty.

I can't figure out why anyone would want to waste their limited mirror space staring at the immobile side of their vehicle when they could be using it to see (and avoid hitting) other vehicles.

omni
Old 09-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #34

The reflective stuff has drained out of my drivers side mirror, so I don't know what it is, but the passenger side is an outtie
Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I haven't been able to adjust the mirror satisfactory in my Tesla, so I followed the advice in the video. Plus I had a friend stand in my blinds spots while I adjusted them I hope it helps.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I drove my car today (not on the freeway but around town to run an errand) with the mirrors set up as an "outty" to avoid blind spots. I really like the set up (especially on passenger side) how when cars pass, as soon as the cars can't be seen on the rear view mirror they show up on the side mirrors.

But I don't know how comfortable the driver side will feel when I go on the freeway. I like to be able to keep track of cars on the left side from a distance having part of my car in view at a glance. Maybe with the new settings, constantly keeping track shouldn't be necessary..but that feels strange looking at the side mirror and not seeing my car. Old habits die hard.
A solution is within reach.
Buy a plastic 1/25 scale model of a car. Make it a snazzy convertible if you like. Glue a plastic person into the driver's seat for you, and glue a floozy blonde with her hair streaming out behind her into the passenger's seat. Duct tape the model car onto the door of your car, so you can see it in your mirror when its adjusted out.

Then, as you cruise down the freeway, you can see the other cars properly in your mirror, and you can see your car too, with you in it, and say "Damn! I look REALLY GOOD!"

After that, you launch an online business selling them, and sell off the business before it peaks for lottsa $$$. You could call it the "20-20 Hindsight Mirror Kit".
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #37

Outtie of course. Been that way since about 1965. While w*rking as a gas jockey part time, one of the mechanics showed me why to do it.

Don't see many nowadays, there used to be a segmented panoramic mirror that could be mounted in place of the regular rear view mirror. Gave great rear views, though it took a bit of getting used to.

My rear view mirror inside is always adjusted so I can only see the roofline of cars behind me. It does make me miss watching women putting on lipstick, chewing on their hair, and performing general primping at stop lights. No big loss, the really good lookers are at w*rk during my usual travel times.

By the way I thought this thread was about belly buttons until finally read it.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I'm a Convert

I had the chance to drive my car about 300 miles yesterday and overall the outty method feels a lot safer. I did get honked at once from a guy entering the freeway on my right side -- that was a combination I think of me going too slow and him going too fast, not a matter ability to see.

Of course, I still head check too as that never gets out of style
Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #39

I learned to be an "outty" when I left High School and got a summer job driving a bakery truck. With no rear view mirror and no rear side windows to see through when you look over your shoulder you are totally reliant on your side mirrors, and I realized that my car mirrors needed to be set much wider to remove the blind spots.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I learned to be an "outty" when I left High School and got a summer job driving a bakery truck. With no rear view mirror and no rear side windows to see through when you look over your shoulder you are totally reliant on your side mirrors, and I realized that my car mirrors needed to be set much wider to remove the blind spots.
Great example, thank you!

MRG