Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
For the outties , when you back up do you readjust your side mirrors so you can see the end of your car?
I'm an outie, but do move them in when backing our trailer. It just seems to make it easier. I'm counting on my blind spot not being an issue at 1mph.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With some issues there are many adequate ways to do something, and individual preferences matter. However, with many other issues, there is a right way and a wrong way, and setting driving mirrors is one of those. They should always be set to minimize or remove any blind spots. Lives depend on this.

BTH, someone mentioned how awful visibility from modern sedans and coupes is. I second this. OTOH, BMWs have always had good visibility, and still do. Cars should have function first, styling within the bounds of serving that function next. Seeing around you is certainly a major function of a driving machine, and many American cars flunk miserably on this.

Ha
Old 09-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
With some issues there are many adequate ways to do something, and individual preferences matter. However, with many other issues, there is a right way and a wrong way, and setting driving mirrors is one of those. They should always be set to minimize or remove any blind spots. Lives depend on this.

BTH, someone mentioned how awful visibility from modern sedans and coupes is. I second this. OTOH, BMWs have always had good visibility, and still do. Cars should have function first, styling within the bounds of serving that function next. Seeing around you is certainly a major function of a driving machine, and many American cars flunk miserably on this.

Ha
Not disagreeing with your broad assessment of certain manufacturing origins, but it is getting complicated.

Rollover protection and curtain airbags have added a lot of heft to pillars. The B and C pillars have always been a problem since they are in your "shoulder check" area. But the A pillars are getting crazy too, and these are right in your line of site.

And then there is the pedestrian impact requirements which have really beefed up the front ends. This is actually creating a blind spot of sorts directly in front of you (down low to be sure, but still there -- you can run over a child).

Trade offs in safety. Perhaps BMW is using higher quality, higher expense materials to accomplish the strength needed on the rollover/roof crush test.

Personally, I'm just cranky as to how small some of the mirrors are. I'll take 1/8 MPG off my gas estimates over small mirrors.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I now think a little blind spot mirror (such as the ones from Ford) should be a requirement on all passenger cars.

Remember the days when passenger side mirrors were considered a luxury?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
I think you are right there is a right and wrong way and I never learned the right way, until I watched the video. My small Accura didn't have much of a blind spot, but the much bigger Tesla does. I got couple of well deserved honks as I was making lane changes cause my mirrors weren't set properly. Eventhough I generally also turn my head before making a lane change.

E-R.org it is not just for money advice.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I now think a little blind spot mirror (such as the ones from Ford) should be a requirement on all passenger cars.

Remember the days when passenger side mirrors were considered a luxury?
I just drove a small passenger "bus", not commercial, but rather a big Ford pickup with a 12 person passenger compartment on the back.

You have to use the side view mirrors since visibility out the back is poor.

What do you know? Both large side view mirrors also had the blind-spot convex mirror on them. Very nice. It is changing my mind about them. I think they can be very useful.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote