Join Early Retirement Today

Mirrors - Are You An Outty or an Inny?
Old 09-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mirrors - Are You An Outty or an Inny?

I'm talking about how you set the car side mirrors?

I've been thinking of this because today as I was turning left there was this motorcycle on my right. I had to do a quick lane change to my right and thought the guy on the bike had turned away. So, he honked and I'm glad he did.

I admit, I'm an inny with the side mirrors showing a part of the side of my car.

Here's a video showing that is considered the "proper" way, but most folks don't set the mirrors this way:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I will also admit that I don't have them out far enough. Being able to see the rear of the car gives me an idea of where stuff is behind me. But I guess I will try to adjust them until I can just see a sliver of the rear fenders.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm talking about how you set the car side mirrors?

I've been thinking of this because today as I was turning left there was this motorcycle on my right. I had to do a quick lane change to my right and thought the guy on the bike had turned away. So, he honked and I'm glad he did.

I admit, I'm an inny with the side mirrors showing a part of the side of my car.

Here's a video showing that is considered the "proper" way, but most folks don't set the mirrors this way:

I am not sure how you established that "most folks don't set the mirrors that way". In any case, what most folks may or may not do is usually a very poor guide to best practice.I have always set them to see things that I could not otherwise see- ie.- to see the adjacent lanes with as wide a view as possible.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I do it just like the guy in the video. Also, my driver side mirror has the outer 25% or so of the glass angled just a little, to facilitate looking back at the blind spot. I am much more confident that I can see approaching vehicles on the driver's side. There is still a blind spot on the passenger's side and I need to turn my head to check when going into the right lane. My car also has a rear view camera which is great for looking directly behind and estimating the distance to the next vehicle, but I still need to turn and look to cover the blind spots.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I like the way Raul Julia "adjusted" his rear-view mirror in "The Gumball Rally."

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larro Darro View Post
I will also admit that I don't have them out far enough. Being able to see the rear of the car gives me an idea of where stuff is behind me. But I guess I will try to adjust them until I can just see a sliver of the rear fenders.
I went ahead and adjusted the mirrors like the guy in the video and will give that setting a try. Yet, I too like being able to see a bit of my car as I think that gives me a frame of reference like when someone is passing me and also knowing what angle the mirror is pointed at in relation to my car.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Very timely... on one car we have the little "extra angle" stick on mirrors, that I learned to use 30 years ago... on the other car, no. Yesterday while using the no extra mirror car, I pulled out to pass and was shocked by a cyclist, double passing @ 80 MPH... No harm, no foul, but some fast heartbeats.
Walmart tomorrow for the extra mirrors.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #8

I picked up on this many years ago from the car guys on NPR. I've always been grateful to them for this tip.

Car Talk
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I pulled out to pass and was shocked by a cyclist, double passing @ 80 MPH...

That would be the worlds fastest cyclist
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #10

I appreciate the tip, but the computer generated graphic that shows the benefits of where the mirrors then can see is incorrect. After the mirror is adjusted, he shows the outer edge of the viewing area sweeping out further toward the blind spot, but the inner edge is still shown flush with the car. This is incorrect and implies that proper mirror adjustment somehow widens the field of view. It will slightly if the mirror originally showed too much of your car side, but not as much as shown and not remaining flush with the car. I'm glad for the tip, but illustrating the concept with a mistake or deceptive diagram doesn't build much confidence in what he's saying.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I didn't look at the video, but I'm an "outty". I made the change about 10 years ago, probably after hearing it on "Car Talk."

It was difficult at first, but now I'll have it no other way. The natural inclination is to have that "frame of reference" which means you have some of your car in view. This leaves a huge blind spot and duplicates some of what you see in the rearview. I drove this way for 25 years.

The change has saved my bacon a few times while highway driving. I have almost no more "holy shxx!" moments where I cut someone off.

The downside? I hate having other people drive my car because they totally change my mirror settings.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I've never understood why people set their mirrors so they can see their car. If you do it right, there is no blind spot, at least as far as cars/motorcycles while driving. As far as backing up, when I used to drive a truck I was taught to walk around the back of the car before getting in, and I still do that. I'd so much rather be able to see 360 degrees while driving. I've never had a situation where I started to pull over because I didn't know someone was there. Not to say I don't drive stupid occasionally, but setting your side mirrors correctly seems like a no brainer.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #13

I will second the use of large fish-eye mirrors on vehicles with poor visibility like my pickup with camper shell - eliminates the blind spot.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
but setting your side mirrors correctly seems like a no brainer.
But it is a brainer.

A very large percentage of the population -- for whatever reason -- sets their mirrors tight and have huge blind spots that are only covered if they swing their head back and take a big look. Even then, that's troublesome because they could get a B or C pillar block and miss the car/cycle.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Not long ago I rented a Ford Focus hatchback. No way would I be able to see on the sides with a regular mirror. But Ford nows make a built-in blind spot mirror as part of the side mirrors. I did like that of the rental car.

Silly me, my first impression when I saw that mirror was "the mirror is cracked", but then realized it's a blind spot mirror built-in
Old 09-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #16

Couple years ago I saw a video similar to the one being demonstrated. Tried it and thought it was a great idea. I passed it on to members of my family and now they all use this method. We don't have the blind spot mirror so I also glance over my shoulder a little to see what's next to me. I used to have the fish eye add on's and will probably get a couple more.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I never go anywhere without two blind spot mirrors. When driving rental cars I put two blind spot mirrors on the cars and I usually leave them on the rental cars when I turn them in. Stick-on blind spot mirrors only cost a couple of dollars.

I like to see the rear of the car in the rear view mirrors. Otherwise, the mirrors might have been bumped since the last time the mirrors were adjusted. You might not know that if you can't see the rear of the car as a reference. You might not check the adjustment when you take off in a hurry.

I'm probably the only one on the forum that has primitive rear view mirrors that can't be adjusted from the driver's seat. Rear view mirrors with blind spot mirrors are much more tolerant of slightly incorrect mirror adjustment.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I think if I try the method of not seeing the rear of the car in the rear view mirror, I'll have to get in the habit if doing a zig-zag look first thing sitting in to shop the rear of the car to make sure the mirrors haven't been bumped.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #19

I always watch cars go by me, from the center mirror to the side mirror and into my peripheral vision. I adjust the side mirror to minimize/equalize the blind spot between a car leaving the center mirror and entering the side mirror and the blind spot between the car leaving the side mirror and entering my peripheral vision. That usually ends up looking out far enough that you can't see your own car without moving your head to the left quite a bit. But there's usually still about a motorcycle sized blind spot at both transitions. I check those by leaning left for one and turning my head to look back for the other before changing lanes. The right side is not as bad with the typical wide-angle view, though the same setting procedure applies.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

For the outties , when you back up do you readjust your side mirrors so you can see the end of your car?