Join Early Retirement Today

Missed RMD from IRA
Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Missed RMD from IRA

OK.... I need some help on this... but trying to do my own research...

I was doing my mother's tax return... and noticed that she did not have anything from Vanguard on her IRA distribution...

SO, a call to her and we find out IT WAS NOT MADE..... she thought she had it set up for automatic, but they say otherwise...

Today we have moved about $7700...

My questions....

Do we report it on the 2007 tax return and pay the penalty now or the 2008 tax return and pay next year?

It appears that we MIGHT get relief from the penalty (it says you have to pay and request it back).... does anyone know if they are strict on this or are reasonable?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

This isn't her first RMD, is it? That is, she didn't turn 70 1/2 in 2007, did she?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
This isn't her first RMD, is it? That is, she didn't turn 70 1/2 in 2007, did she?
Nope.. she is 88...

I think I will use her age in the request that it be waived...
Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Anybody
Old 03-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just have her take out a lump sum right now for all the RMD she missed through 12/31/2007, plus the amount for 2008 if you want to get that out of the way now too.

Don't worry about paying a penalty. The investment company will give your mother a 1099-R next year with code 7 in box 7 just like any normal distribution, so you just report the income without a penalty.

Chances are the IRS won't catch it, and even if they do, they would probably waive the penalty if you could show reasonable cause and you made a good faith effort in doing the catchup RMDs on your own.

IOW, don't make a bigger issue out of it than you need to.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

According to my buddy at the IS (high school friend) the IRS doesn't pursue such cases very heavily, as long as you have taken action to remedy the problem. In his words: "Making life hard for folks over 65 isn't good for what little respect we have from the general public anyway"..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks guys.... we have taken the money out within two days of finding out we did not... and we are making sure the automatic withdrawal is set up...

Since we do not have a 1099 for last year... we will put it in the 2008 return..

If they come and get us... well, my mom is ready to pay for the mistake...

Tags
ira