Join Early Retirement Today

Missing Bitcoins
Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Missing Bitcoins

I know very little about Britcoins and do not believe that I have any however, somebody has found a way to steal them.

Quote:
On Monday morning, a user called allinvain posted a message to a bitcoin forum. It began:
Hi everyone. I am totally devastated today. I just woke up to see a very large chunk of my bitcoin balance gone ...
Apparently, someone had hacked into the guy's computer and stolen 25,000 bitcoins. (Here's more on bitcoins.) At current exchange rates, that's about $500,000.
Someone Just Stole $500,000 In Bitcoins : Planet Money : NPR

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I know very little about Britcoins and do not believe that I have any however, somebody has found a way to steal them.

Someone Just Stole $500,000 In Bitcoins : Planet Money : NPR
Thanks for posting this. However, these are bitcoins, not Britcoins. They are a stateless money, and evidently the organizers are still early in the learning curve.

Ha

Old 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks for posting this. However, these are bitcoins, not Britcoins. They are a stateless money, and evidently the organizers are still early in the learning curve.

Ha
Oh, bitcoins. Now I'm not only confused as hell, but also embarrassed.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 06-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'd rather dabble in Dutch tulip bulbs. At least they are 3 dimensional and I can put them in my hand or plant them and let them multiply.

I am amazed that people would invest in something that is essentially 1s and 0s in somebody's online database.

Follow the virtual money...
Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Not me. Good, solid government bonds for me. The interest rates are great these days. How could you possibly go wrong with 7.5% on government bonds? And they're denominated in Euros, so you even avoid the problem of the weakening dollar!

Yes sir, that's that ticket. Why, Prime Minister Papandreou himself is spending most of his time these days just keeping them going. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I was making an offbeat reference to this mania from long ago...
Tulip mania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is an exhaustive explanation of bitcoins here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

Pass the tulip bulbs, please.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So bitcoins are crypto-money used extensively by dope dealers and hackers - no wonder the dude got ripped off.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh, bitcoins. Now I'm not only confused as hell, but also embarrassed.
Shucks, I thought this was about shillings too.

Mods, could one of you edit the title from "Britcoins" to "Bitcoins"? Otherwise we'll go through hell trying to find this thread five years from now. I don't want to get into how I learned that. Thanks.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Then there was the South Sea bubble.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'd rather dabble in Dutch tulip bulbs. At least they are 3 dimensional and I can put them in my hand or plant them and let them multiply.

I am amazed that people would invest in something that is essentially 1s and 0s in somebody's online database.

Follow the virtual money...
Hmm. And just how is this different than my online account with Capital One? Your question also explains why we insist on paper statements each month. When the aliens zap us with an EMP and all the computers lose their minds or the next version of Y2K rolls around I want paper evidence that those guys got my money. It also explains, to a great extent, our fascination with real estate that we can go and touch and our reduced interest in stocks that represent intellectual capital or other non-physical things.

About 6-7 years ago we had some computer savvy student/tenants who were making things - developed islands and such - in a multiplayer game that they then sold to other players for internet cash that somehow was converted to about $1500 in American green. I sure didn't understand the why or how, but did spend their rent money.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Hmm. And just how is this different than my online account with Capital One? Your question also explains why we insist on paper statements each month. When the aliens zap us with an EMP and all the computers lose their minds or the next version of Y2K rolls around I want paper evidence that those guys got my money.
I can make my own paper statements anytime I want, and with better paper & numbers, too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Your question also explains why we insist on paper statements each month. When the aliens zap us with an EMP and all the computers lose their minds or the next version of Y2K rolls around I want paper evidence that those guys got my money.

I still retain my paper statement options with CC and VG and the rest of the world. Sure I can always convert to the online version, but I can't opt back to the paper version (usually). I like to retain as many of my options as possible.

BTW, if the "aliens zap us with an EMP", who will print out and mail our paper statements? Won't their computers be zapped also?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I still retain my paper statement options with CC and VG and the rest of the world. Sure I can always convert to the online version, but I can't opt back to the paper version (usually). I like to retain as many of my options as possible.

BTW, if the "aliens zap us with an EMP", who will print out and mail our paper statements? Won't their computers be zapped also?
Presumably - but I can show what we had as of last statement and statements going back into the past - and doubt they (the bank, not the aliens) could show any withdrawal we would contest. So I'd say we had best available evidence of funds on deposit.