Missing friends from work

I see you were a teacher. Are there other retired teachers you can get together with? In your school, were retired teachers included in group social activities? Do they substitute teach? These are the ways my retired teacher friend keeps in touch with her former coworkers. If there is not a culture of including other retired teachers, you probably are just not considered part of the group anymore and it is not personal. If you used to get together with individual coworkers outside of school hours and school functions, then just call those coworkers and set something up. Or just send a chatty email to a couple of people asking what they are up to and telling them something about what you are doing, and suggest getting together. If you got married and did not invite anyone from your school to the wedding, do they understand why? They probably feel the teachers who no longer work there are the one who left them behind. Get involved in something new and make some friends where you live now.

My close friends are not retired yet. There are some in our sorority but they keep failing to let me know when the meetings are. I know it's not personal, they're just so busy.
I have joined a church and there are some nice people there and I have also found several knitting groups and I am scheduled to start volunteering in the library.
Hoping things will get better. :)

I have joined a church and there are some nice people there and I have also found several knitting groups and I am scheduled to start volunteering in the library.
Hoping things will get better. :)
For someone who is religious or at least not antagonistic to religion, I think a church is one of the best social groups, especially if the pastor is good.

Every group has the cool kids and the less cool, but it seems to me that some churches do a better job of controlling this than any other group I can think of.

Groups that are based on hobby interests may also offer friendship, but my main experience is with ballroom dancing and these people are dancers, and if the focus of a get together won't include dancing, they are rarely interested. IMO, same is true of mountain climbers, skiers and sometimes bicyclists. The great thing about a church is that there are plenty of out-groups that are not in one's church. In fact, by being in the church, one is already part of an in-group which helps define an out-group.

Drinkers can be very inclusive, but you had better not go on the wagon.

Ha

Is there a newcomers group in your area? I have found this to be an excellent way to build a new circle of friends.

Yes, I got married, moved to a new city, sold my house, and retired in one month......

WOW!! Those are a lot of changes to make in a short period of time.

......I have joined a church and there are some nice people there and I have also found several knitting groups and I am scheduled to start volunteering in the library. Hoping things will get better. :)

I'm impressed with your ability to step outside your comfort zone, especially in a new place where it sounds like you don't know people. Good for you for putting yourself out there - it takes guts! I'm sure things will look much brighter soon. :greetings10:

WOW!! Those are a lot of changes to make in a short period of time. I'm impressed with your ability to step outside your comfort zone, especially in a new place where it sounds like you don't know people. Good for you for putting yourself out there - it takes guts! I'm sure things will look much brighter soon. :greetings10:

Thank you. I love your cat.

For someone who is religious or at least not antagonistic to religion, I think a church is one of the best social groups, especially if the pastor is good. Every group has the cool kids and the less cool, but it seems to me that some churches do a better job of controlling this than any other group I can think of. Groups that are based on hobby interests may also offer friendship, but my main experience is with ballroom dancing and these people are dancers, and if the focus of a get together won't include dancing, they are rarely interested. IMO, same is true of mountain climbers, skiers and sometimes bicyclists. The great thing about a church is that there are plenty of out-groups that are not in one's church. In fact, by being in the church, one is already part of an in-group which helps define an out-group. Drinkers can be very inclusive, but you had better not go on the wagon. Ha

I'm Unitarian so my church is pretty cohesive.

Only problem I gave with drinking is the calories:(

+1 on this statement.. I've been out for 3 weeks and only one email from my best friend at the company... certainly don't fault anyone cause this is exactly what I expected to happen. I remember how I felt/reacted in past years when someone I knew very well left the company for whatever reason. I remember occasional thoughts of them, but mostly moving on to the next task, project, urgent crisis, policy change, memo to write, meeting to attend, etc... so by and large, they became more and more invisible and less a part of my life. That's what's happened to you, and now to me in the last 3 weeks. My goal is going to make new friends and 'get out there' in new situations..

Me too. It's not easy but I have to.

I have recommended this elsewhere and I cannot recommend highly enough the book "What Color is Your Parachute for Retirement?" It covers all of this (the psycho/social aspect of retirement) and much, much more. Very generous with references for further exploration in each important area of retirement as well. Helped me tremendously in preparing for retirement.

Thank you. Excellent suggestion.

I suspect that they are too busy working and doing all the other things that busy working people do.

I have only occasional email contact with my former colleagues, and 80% of my contact is with my old boss who I had a great relationship with.

Like someone said, there are work friends and friend friends.

I suspect that they are too busy working and doing all the other things that busy working people do. I have only occasional email contact with my former colleagues, and 80% of my contact is with my old boss who I had a great relationship with. Like someone said, there are work friends and friend friends.

Yes, that's how I was. But it was a close group - 25 years together.

For someone who is religious or at least not antagonistic to religion, I think a church is one of the best social groups, especially if the pastor is good.

Good observation. I almost wish I could be more open to the whole religious scene, because there can be a very positive social aspect with that group, but I just can't.

OTOH, DW does volunteering through her Church, ans she is sometimes exposed to some petty in-fighting and control-freakish, ego battles that would have me just saying 'I quit'.

Groups that are based on hobby interests may also offer friendship, but my main experience is with ballroom dancing and these people are dancers, and if the focus of a get together won't include dancing, they are rarely interested. IMO, same is true of mountain climbers, skiers and sometimes bicyclists.

I've experienced that too. Many of these people are so focused on their hobby, that is pretty much all they do. I like to dabble - a little interest here, a little there. Just taste everything, not make it my meal, day in day out.

Drinkers can be very inclusive, but you had better not go on the wagon.

Ha

By far, the best hobby group I've been involved with is my beer home-brew group. It seems like all these guys (and a few gals) have a wide range of interests, and they are all interesting to talk with. Every one is a pretty serious food person as well, food-beer pairings, recipes, cheese making, sausage making, komboucha, gardening (some are growing their own hops). And beer involves history, geography, chemistry, biology - it just goes on and on.

I know you don't do beer due to keeping low-carb (though there are a few craft-beers that are probably pretty low carb - a Saison is very, very dry - I doubt there are much/many residual carbs there). The Saison that I brewed finished at 1.002, and a dry wine finishes ~ 0.990 ~ 1.000. A more typical beer finishes ~ 1.012~1.016. Water is 1.000, sugar is heavier than water, alcohol is lighter than water, so the final specific gravity gives you an idea of how much residual sugar remains in the beverage (though you really need to know the original sugar content to know the amount of alcohol versus the amounts of sugar).

Anyway, a wine making or whisky/whiskey appreciation club is likely to be more open than other hobbies. Though many of the beer club members are far more 'intense' than I am about it, but they still seem to have plenty of outside interests. Or maybe the alcohol just loosens people up to talking about other things?

-ERD50

Sorry to hear that your old work friends don't seem all that receptive to your overtures to get together and socialize.

If you are looking to get out and meet new people and do new things where you now live, I'd recommend checking out meetup.com. I joined many meetup groups in my area -- such as hiking, socializing, dining, traveling, etc. It gets me out of the house, doing fun things and meeting new people.

omni

I understand how you feel. I worked with some of my previous co-workers for 26 years and considered some of them like family. We get together once a month for our retiree's luncheon and have done several cruises together and some other trips. I would have been hurt, if they no longer included me in things. I think that you made the effort, especially letting them know that you would do the traveling back to them. Try not to take it personally and good luck with making your new friends. I think that they are the ones losing out and will probably regret it someday.

Haven't seen my high school friends since I graduated nearly 35 years ago. Haven't seen any work friends since I graduated (to retirement) just over a year ago. I've heard from a couple and I've emailed a few for birthdays etc. Other than that I only hear from them when they need something. That said, I still think about work and work friends every day...Trying to let go, but struggling with it. So I understand where you are coming from, but best just to move on, I think, and I am trying to take my own advice. R

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm moving on but I'm basically introverted and it takes a lot of effort. I myself get out of the house to be with others.

It sounds like you are coming to terms with this new reality. But one additional question comes to mind: how did they respond to the news you were retiring, and are they continuing to work by choice or because they have to? Because if you were the first in the group to retire, and did so earlier than the typical age, there may be some unstated resentment or sadness on their part that they are not in the same position. That can make keeping up the relationship more difficult on all sides, especially if the feelings are not acknowledged.

Sorry to hear that your old work friends don't seem all that receptive to your overtures to get together and socialize. If you are looking to get out and meet new people and do new things where you now live, I'd recommend checking out meetup.com. I joined many meetup groups in my area -- such as hiking, socializing, dining, traveling, etc. It gets me out of the house, doing fun things and meeting new people. omni

I'll check it out! Thanks!

I understand how you feel. I worked with some of my previous co-workers for 26 years and considered some of them like family. We get together once a month for our retiree's luncheon and have done several cruises together and some other trips. I would have been hurt, if they no longer included me in things. I think that you made the effort, especially letting them know that you would do the traveling back to them. Try not to take it personally and good luck with making your new friends. I think that they are the ones losing out and will probably regret it someday.

We were like family. If anyone needed anyone they were there. Thank you. Feeling better to "talk" about it even if it's only online. I always thought we would all grow into old ladies together and laugh about the stupid stuff we went through. I guess they can still do that because they live near each other.

It sounds like you are coming to terms with this new reality. But one additional question comes to mind: how did they respond to the news you were retiring, and are they continuing to work by choice or because they have to? Because if you were the first in the group to retire, and did so earlier than the typical age, there may be some unstated resentment or sadness on their part that they are not in the same position. That can make keeping up the relationship more difficult on all sides, especially if the feelings are not acknowledged.

They are working because they have to. But they threw a party for me and seemed to wish me happiness which I believe was sincere.

Well, you can post here all day, like some of us. :LOL:

I very much have kept 2 lives. There are 4to6 people I stayed in contact with and will continue too. When I looked in my contacts in outlook there are 2300 people and I can recall most of them and how we engaged and how often. Work hard, play hard, and it was tough to mix the 2 for me. I will say there are those that had a great impact on my career that I will continue to reach out to. Those are the people that were pivotal in my career development, I am grateful for them.
They have been retired for yrs.

Back
Top Bottom