Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Haven't seen my high school friends since I graduated nearly 35 years ago. Haven't seen any work friends since I graduated (to retirement) just over a year ago. I've heard from a couple and I've emailed a few for birthdays etc. Other than that I only hear from them when they need something. That said, I still think about work and work friends every day...Trying to let go, but struggling with it. So I understand where you are coming from, but best just to move on, I think, and I am trying to take my own advice. R
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm moving on but I'm basically introverted and it takes a lot of effort. I myself get out of the house to be with others.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

It sounds like you are coming to terms with this new reality. But one additional question comes to mind: how did they respond to the news you were retiring, and are they continuing to work by choice or because they have to? Because if you were the first in the group to retire, and did so earlier than the typical age, there may be some unstated resentment or sadness on their part that they are not in the same position. That can make keeping up the relationship more difficult on all sides, especially if the feelings are not acknowledged.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Sorry to hear that your old work friends don't seem all that receptive to your overtures to get together and socialize. If you are looking to get out and meet new people and do new things where you now live, I'd recommend checking out meetup.com. I joined many meetup groups in my area -- such as hiking, socializing, dining, traveling, etc. It gets me out of the house, doing fun things and meeting new people. omni

I'll check it out! Thanks!
Old 01-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I understand how you feel. I worked with some of my previous co-workers for 26 years and considered some of them like family. We get together once a month for our retiree's luncheon and have done several cruises together and some other trips. I would have been hurt, if they no longer included me in things. I think that you made the effort, especially letting them know that you would do the traveling back to them. Try not to take it personally and good luck with making your new friends. I think that they are the ones losing out and will probably regret it someday.

We were like family. If anyone needed anyone they were there. Thank you. Feeling better to "talk" about it even if it's only online. I always thought we would all grow into old ladies together and laugh about the stupid stuff we went through. I guess they can still do that because they live near each other.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
It sounds like you are coming to terms with this new reality. But one additional question comes to mind: how did they respond to the news you were retiring, and are they continuing to work by choice or because they have to? Because if you were the first in the group to retire, and did so earlier than the typical age, there may be some unstated resentment or sadness on their part that they are not in the same position. That can make keeping up the relationship more difficult on all sides, especially if the feelings are not acknowledged.

They are working because they have to. But they threw a party for me and seemed to wish me happiness which I believe was sincere.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 AM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
There's always Facebook...at least there would be a little connection.
Facebook makes me depressed. I read about all the things they do together without me.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, you can post here all day, like some of us.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Well, you can post here all day, like some of us.

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

I very much have kept 2 lives. There are 4to6 people I stayed in contact with and will continue too. When I looked in my contacts in outlook there are 2300 people and I can recall most of them and how we engaged and how often. Work hard, play hard, and it was tough to mix the 2 for me. I will say there are those that had a great impact on my career that I will continue to reach out to. Those are the people that were pivotal in my career development, I am grateful for them.
They have been retired for yrs.