Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Missle defense in Europe? Pi$$ off the Russians why?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
gone traveling

Missle defense in Europe? Pi$$ off the Russians why?

Why do we again have to put missle defense shields in europe?

Let the French Do it, how bout the Brits? The Germans??

Oh we are worried about Iran? Please a third world country
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well shoot, our government and intelligence groups are still loaded with cold war era russian "experts", and there just hasnt been a lot of use for their expertise lately.

So it makes great sense to poke the russians with a stick, and give all those people the opportunity to use their best skills to their fullest, ?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have you seen the 1995 comedy "Canadian Bacon"

Canadian Bacon (1995)
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Why do we again have to put missle defense shields in europe?

Let the French Do it, how bout the Brits? The Germans??

Oh we are worried about Iran? Please a third world country
I definately agree. Once they believe that we won't be letting our young die and we pay for their defense they might actually do something.
If we would have stuck with the Monroe Doctrine we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #5

Living in a NATO country that borders Russia, I have been following all this very closely. I personally think putting this system in Poland and the Czech Republic is a very bad idea for several reasons I'm too tired this morning to type out.

But here is an interesting article that helps give a little insight to the way Russia may be perceiving the installation of these systems.

Why Russia Fears Ballistic Missile Defense

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:12 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Living in a NATO country that borders Russia, I have been following all this very closely. I personally think putting this system in Poland and the Czech Republic is a very bad idea for several reasons I'm too tired this morning to type out.

But here is an interesting article that helps give a little insight to the way Russia may be perceiving the installation of these systems.

Why Russia Fears Ballistic Missile Defense

Trek the article is on point.

Heck if Putin was really thinking he would cut off oil sales to the states if we tried to keep building this idocy.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
gone traveling

If Bush is serious about wanting to protect Europe from rogues like Iran and not start a new cold war, then put the defense system in the western edge of Russia.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
If Bush is serious about wanting to protect Europe from rogues like Iran and not start a new cold war, then put the defense system in the western edge of Russia.
That's exactly the location where it has been proposed and why Russia opposes it.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
gone traveling

MasterBlaster, There you go again, can't you think before you post. The system was not proposed to be placed in Russia, but rather in Poland & Czech. What I am suggesting is rather than have Putin object to it being in some former Russian satellites (now Nato countries), put the system in Russia instead and make them feel that they will benefit from it as well.

DFW
Old 06-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
MasterBlaster, There you go again, can't you think before you post. The system was not proposed to be placed in Russia, but rather in Poland & Czech. What I am suggesting is rather than have Putin object to it being in some former Russian satellites (now Nato countries), put the system in Russia instead and make them feel that they will benefit from it as well.

DFW
Maybe you need to look at a map to find out where Poland and the Czech Republic are. From the maps that I see they are on the western edge of Russia.

I am sorry that you have goofy ideas and can't post concisely what you mean.

Maybe you'll do better next time.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
gone traveling

DFW is correct, Bush is BSin Putin and the Russians, another stupid policy that sure did not come from bushes head. Think Cheney, and the other wackos in this administration. If we really are concerned about Iran, Laugh Out Loud. Needing a missle defense system for europe yes PUT IT IN RUSSIA!!!

Didn't bush look into putins eyes a few years back

Sorry gang this guy is dangerous, how many more months do we have with Bush at the controls??
Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #12
gone traveling

Newguy888, Agree, Bush and his team have done some very serious global and domestic damage and I am looking forward to their departure. This project makes about as much sense as building a wall between the US and Mexico.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Maybe you need to look at a map to find out where Poland and the Czech Republic are. From the maps that I see they are on the western edge of Russia.
For the record, neither Poland or the Czech Republic have a border with Russia.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Well that is strictly true unless one is using the term generally.

It's close enough though for government work and missile defense sites or if one loosely refers to Russia as the former Soviet Union.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
gone traveling

What our president is doing to the Russians is just stupid. He has some pretty big dumb ideas with this one. How many americans understand what is really going on here??

What really is the purpose?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:

Trek most americans are too stupid and really have no idea that say Cuba is south of Florida!!

You want them to know eastern Europe??
Old 06-07-2007, 03:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Yep, we could put it in Russian administered Kaliningrad Oblast, right next to Poland. But it's not about protecting Russia or Europe.

For the geographically challenged:

Old 06-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #18

Here ya go. Putin's surprise recommendation that the system be put in Azerbaijan.

Putin Suggests New Missile Shield Site

Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #19
gone traveling

MasterBlaster, Does my post from yesterday now seem so goofy to you

DFW

Quote:
I am sorry that you have goofy ideas and can't post concisely what you mean.

Maybe you'll do better next time.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #20

DFW:

I haven't made up my mind about you yet. Based on several of your posts I am leaning towards labeling you as anal-retentive.

Still your post in this thread was not very clear as to what exactly you meant.

Your post in the WSJ thread was way out in left field.