Join Early Retirement Today

Mobil1 at Costco
Old 10-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #1

Mobil1 at Costco

Costco has Mobil1 on sale for just under $4.80 per quart. Anyone see any reason not to max out the buy on this. Max is 30 quarts per membership. I can have DD grab 30 also. That would equate to 7.5 oil changes for me. That would be about 3 years.

I’ve just passed the dealer provided oil changes on both of my vehicles and I’m thinking of changing my own oil. Does it make sense to stock up, or, is this a typical sale price that I should be able to get from time to time so no need to get more that one or two oil changes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$4.80 / qt is the lowest I can remember.

I usually get a 5 qt jug from walmart
either at the store or free delivery when combined with something to meet the free shipping $ threshold. Current price is $25.47
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #3

Costco is $28.69 for a case (6 quarts).
Old 10-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I buy my 0W-20 oil there since dealers are charging $60+ for a synthetic oil change these days.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Costco is $28.69 for a case (6 quarts).
I think they run that discount pretty much every other month. Otherwise a case is $10 more ... at my local store, at least.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm in Walmart every day ($5.09 per quart Mobil 1 in 5 quart bottles.)

I seldom go to Costco.

You can buy Super Tech synthetic oil at Walmart that's also made by Exxon-Mobil for $2.87 per quart in 5 quart bottles. It's perfectly decent motor oil.

I challenge you to find inexpensive 0W16 motor oil that is used in Japanese hybrids. It's about $10 per quart.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I think they run that discount pretty much every other month. Otherwise a case is $10 more ... at my local store, at least.
Thanks. That was one of the things I was wondering. Save me the trouble of getting DD to buy some and save me the storage trouble if it goes on sale regularly.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been buying Amazon private label - $20 delivered. Costco is a little far to drive for us. I change 3 cars pretty quickly and our town occasionally has a waste day for used motor oil, batteries, paint, etc. I put the used oil back in the same containers to return it to the waste facility. Amazon is in the oil business

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...0540458&sr=8-4
Retiree_Having_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

You just missed the fall Mobil 1 rebate. They run it every spring and fall. When I need Mobil 1 I usually pick up the five quart jug from Walmart at $25-$26, and get a $12 rebate. Price per quart is pretty good. There are more details at the link, I don't see Costco listed, but Walmart isn't listed either and I've never had trouble getting the rebate.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...-1-rebate-2019
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Although I've read the "experts" say that "unopened" motor oil shelf life is ~5 years, I typically limit my "oil stock" to no more than ~2 years since I store it in an uncontrolled temperature environment (my car barn). YMMV.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
You just missed the fall Mobil 1 rebate. They run it every spring and fall. When I need Mobil 1 I usually pick up the five quart jug from Walmart at $25-$26, and get a $12 rebate. Price per quart is pretty good. There are more details at the link, I don't see Costco listed, but Walmart isn't listed either and I've never had trouble getting the rebate.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...-1-rebate-2019
Thanks for the link. They have a promotion to get a rebate from having it done. Maybe I won’t be changing my own oil after all .

Interesting on the rebate promotion. They don’t include Costco on the list, but when you enter your zip code, Costco comes up as one of their retail suppliers. Costco my not do the promotion though. I know they don’t take coupons. I know this isn’t a coupon, but Costco doesn’t play well in that space.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #12

Nothing like a motor oil discussion , I use Amsoil
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote