Join Early Retirement Today

Mobile app that doesn't exist
Old 12-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #1

Mobile app that doesn't exist

Although I've got 10 or more ideas for apps I might write some day, I thought it might be interesting to hear what members of this board thought would be a handy/helpful mobile app that they haven't been able to find.

I figure the quirkier the idea (long-tail) the better for a couple of reasons. First, if it's suitable for everyone, then it's probably either "out there" already or it's "impossible". Also, if only a few people are interested, then it won't become a j*b.

This thread also might prove enlightening, as people say "I wish I had..." and someone else says "What about...", thus raising the mobile app IQ of the group.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On my wishlist: not an app, but connected to an app. I use (and love) the Wegmans app. (A grocery store app, it puts your shopping list in order by item location in the store). I would love an Echo skill that would link with the Wegmans app, so if I say "Alexa, put butter on my shopping list" it would go to my list on the Wegmans app.

Even if it had to be done with an IFTTT recipe-- I've got a couple recipes that allow me to use Alexa to control other devices or apps.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for bringing this up, I'll have to noodle on it a while. Not much is coming to mind off hand, but I'm sure something will.

One thing to consider - an app that can make use of an old cast off, 'out dated' phone, one that no longer has service. A while ago, I realized that these old phones are still potentially very useful - you've got a touch screen, battery, speaker and microphone, camera, wi-fi, etc. Heck, that's a lot for something you probably couldn't get $10 for on the open market!

I was thinking of using a couple I have to monitor various appliances in my home (on/off times of the well pump, sump pump, freezer, etc). But I'm only capable of rather simplistic programming, and none of the simple languages that I could find had much support for reading I/O, so that was a deal breaker for me.

Then I found out about these ~ $9 ESP8266 boards with GPIO, ADC, some flash file space, and wi-fi, and the MicroPython programming language. That fit the bill for me, and I have one up and running now.

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Versi.../dp/B010O1G1ES

https://docs.micropython.org/en/late...ial/intro.html

It's a variant of Python, which can be useful for scripting stuff on your home computer, so it is a skill that translates to other useful things.

So I probably won't go back to trying this on a phone, but I'll keep thinking about this.

Along these lines - some apps on phones are so much more useful than their hardware counterparts - kitchen timers come to mind. But getting the old phone out, starting it, making sure it's charged - by that time it isn't worth it. But you got me thinking - maybe build an old phone like that into a nice wooden charger base for our phones for the kitchen, and it would always be available and charged to use for those apps, or as a music player, anything that needs nothing more than wifi. I could put some decent speakers in the charger base. Hmmmm.....

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #4

One of my app ideas would require an external circuit with a microcontroller, but I don't have the skills to design the circuit. If I really put my mind to it, I might be able to write microcode again, but there's too much territory between where I am and having something working. That is to say the little Python thing might be an alternative.

I really like the idea of an old phone app! Instead of having a single purpose rasberry pi, for instance, it could be a single purpose wifi only Android device. Hmmm. This forum pays for itself every day And now I know what IFTTT stands for.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
One of my app ideas would require an external circuit with a microcontroller, but I don't have the skills to design the circuit. If I really put my mind to it, I might be able to write microcode again, but there's too much territory between where I am and having something working. That is to say the little Python thing might be an alternative.

I really like the idea of an old phone app! Instead of having a single purpose rasberry pi, for instance, it could be a single purpose wifi only Android device. Hmmm. This forum pays for itself every day And now I know what IFTTT stands for.
I could probably help on the hardware circuit side. Maybe PM me and we could collaborate over a google drive link or something?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote