Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Modern Discipline
Old 03-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny

As for the rest of it, I think people take exactly as much offense from specific other people and groups as they want to. Change the words and the names and the circumstances, they'll find something else to offend them.

Some people just dont have enough actual problems and actual perpetrators in their lives to account for the victimhood they feel, so they make some.

The above is not pointed at anyone of any particular race, creed or color.
Well put. Hard to argue with that logic.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I translated that into "We'll have NONE of those ridiculous SUCCESSES around here, mister!"
I always translated sentiments like that to mean, it is more important to save face then save money. When I worked at a hospital, the end of the fiscal year we had to spend any money we had left over since if we didn't we wouldn't have it next year. We bought good stuff and we bought junk but we spent it.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanne
Perhaps someone at this forum would be kind enough to tell me why some Blacks still use the N word and defend their right to use it by claiming that it is a term of endearment? Logically if the N word is to be verboten then it should be banned for all. I recall the stink when Kramer (Michael Richards) made that awful faux pas and how how he virtually had to beg, if not grovel, for public forgiveness whilst others, some Blacks specifically, still use it with impunity.

Interesting observation. Back when I was responsible for "millions of dollars and hundreds of lives" (and still gave a s**t), I verbally counseled a dark complexioned individual that used the N word in a negative context with another individual with a dark complexion. His answer was that he could use it because of the color of his skin. My answer was that I would have given a written reprimand to a non-dark skinned individual and understand his belief that he had special rights. I told him that I will not allow that language to be used by anyone. I reinforced the "non-harassment policy" at future shift meetings but the word had already gotten around. No one complained. If I would have had this taken to HR, I'm sure they wouldn't have actually let the discipline process move forward to any time off or temination. They might even have made me apologize for the "verbal."

If you go back in US history, the terms "mick" for Irish, "wop" for Italian, and "squarehead" for German were just as offensive and used to be offensive. Simply by the moderators letting me put these words out on the forum tells you we've gotten over this labeling in a couple of generations. Hopefully, we'll move on past the N word and our grandchildren will laugh that anyone would take offense to something so silly.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
(bold added)

As if to prove the point. Apparently it is simply the word itself that is verbotten.
Did a moderator actually edit that out? : I assumed you did it to make your point.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Did a moderator actually edit that out? : I assumed you did it to make your point.
I edited my post because I typed too fast. I didn't notice anything edited out as of yet. I didn't attempt to use the N word because that is well known as not politically correct in any form or context (even supposedly adult discussions on its suitability) to the point that even this forum will enforce its non-use.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Yes, the moderator censored that word out of my post. Point proven, I think.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Yes, the moderator censored that word out of my post. Point proven, I think.
I guess. They missed your first use of the term which I described as offensive to no one. Maybe it will disappear too. Kinda like Russian history.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

I found this story (below) to be of interest. It is worthwhile read and attempts to at least give both sides of the story.

Me, I do not use the N word and haven't for a long time because I know some will, or might, take offence. Society worldwide has pretty well made the word taboo. In NYC the authorities have recently banned it albeit is it a symbolic gesture. What I do like about the ban is that it is an 'equal opportunity' gesture and applies to all.

That part makes perfect sense to me.

No special exemption for those Blacks who consider it just fine and dandy to use it.

Anyways here is the link

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/inte...m?id=327602007
Old 03-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #29

I do not use the word understanding that it is highly offensive to many. I don't think that black people should use it either. If it is offensive then don't use it! No exceptions. In the end it is just a word. People calling me names do not change what I am.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B

If you go back in US history, the terms "mick" for Irish, "wop" for Italian, and "squarehead" for German were just as offensive and used to be offensive. Simply by the moderators letting me put these words out on the forum tells you we've gotten over this labeling in a couple of generations. Hopefully, we'll move on past the N word and our grandchildren will laugh that anyone would take offense to something so silly.
You make a good point. Frankly something I had not considered. I guess because of the dismal history of the Blacks, racial segregation, lynchings and their struggle for equality, the N word becomes taboo. But calling another nationalty or ethnic group by a derogatory term is not any better. The difference though is that nobody gets their knickers in a twist when this happens.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #31

I think the difference is you can't look at my skin and know that I am of Irish background. Makes it harder to keep the steriotypes going.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanne
You make a good point. Frankly something I had not considered. I guess because of the dismal history of the Blacks, racial segregation, lynchings and their struggle for equality, the N word becomes taboo. But calling another nationalty or ethnic group by a derogatory term is not any better. The difference though is that nobody gets their knickers in a twist when this happens.

Germans had it relatively easy except during WWI and II. The Italians and Irish were subjected to over 75 years of prejudice.

I left off the Jews from my earlier post. They've had a couple of thousand years of prejudice and a whole selection of derogatory names. Then there are the Hispanics, Indians, Native Americans, Japanese, Chinese.....

Dark complexioned individuals should stop feeling so special.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We should all join hands, and watch "Blazing Saddles"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
Germans had it relatively easy except during WWI and II. The Italians and Irish were subjected to over 75 years of prejudice.

I left off the Jews from my earlier post. They've had a couple of thousand years of prejudice and a whole selection of derogatory names. Then there are the Hispanics, Indians, Native Americans, Japanese, Chinese.....

Dark complexioned individuals should stop feeling so special.
Quite frankly it seems to me that nobody really cares whether Jews, Germans, Italians, Japanese, Chinese, etc., etc, get insulted. It must happen every day. Yet when I watch CNN (which is probably the American channel I watch most after PBS) the discussions always seem to revolve around racism, that specifically aimed at so called 'African-Americans'.

Actually the term 'African-American' is/can be awfully misleading. Is a white American originally fron South Africa (of Dutch heritage) one? What about those Americans originally from the Arabic part stretching from Morocco to Egypt? Why must one assume all Africans are, by definition, black?