Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've often told DW that if she goes before I do I'll just sell one or two items of hers a day (eBay, Craigslist, whatever) for eating out money, and I'll never have to cook another meal. She's an incredible gal, but she likes her stuff.

Having said that, we can't park any cars in our two car garage, but at least the stuff in the garage is worth more than the 11 and 13 year old cars outside. And to be honest, some of it is my power tools. But I think if we didn't have all her stuff I'd be able to squeeze the VW in and still have room for the table saw.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

One thing that struck me when we visited relatives in Spain and Italy numerous years ago is that they didn't have as much "stuff" as we do, but what they did have was of very high quality.

I have talked to several people from Northern Europe who claim that the IKEA stores in the US sell decidedly inferior quality products.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
We be visiting the 1950's family farm tomorrow near the Iowa border - 800 sq ft (4 people back then) - now not then - hot and cold water, indoor plumbing, AND electricity so the satellite tv doesn't need a windmill and battery like the old radio.

And a refrigerator not an ice box.

heh heh heh - 10 steps forward. Did I mention that my RMD taxes this year are more than first years ER expenses 21 years ago.
Congrats!!!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

The best thing about progress is that you get to choose what you indulge in. My 1972 cooktop in my kitchen is older than me but still cooks up some good stuff almost nightly. I have a free smartphone, but rarely use it and have it on mute. It's handy for GPSing in the woods or on the street, and making emergency phone calls.

I love how many inches of HDTV I can get for under $500 and how much content I can get for under $10/month (under $50 if including internet bills).

I'm not complaining and look forward to many more decades of progress and the continued ability to acquire things that enhance my life and to ignore things that make life unwieldy.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

My favorite non alchoholic drink is plain tap water.

My favorite adult beverage in general is wine. Though a good beer come is a very close second.

Mixed drinks: The classic Negroni
Old 12-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the things I love about my 70's house is the very large two car garage. We can park both cars in there and open ALL the doors COMPLETELY! As a bonus, is part of the basement so there lots of storage for the DW's Christmas decorations. But...the living space is a tad bit more than 2000 square feet and is still too big for me.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:46 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

We are looking forward to downsizing and I think DH and I have finally agreed on where to live. That only took 4 years. We're just waiting for the last kiddo to leave the nest for good. DH convinced me when we were raking leaves (and there were a lot) that if we lived in a townhouse or condo we'd could be going off camping in the Redwoods that afternoon instead of doing yard work.

I worked on cleaning out the garage today. It feels right getting rid of clutter.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Don't blame suppliers. Blame tasteless customers who only want cheap.

Amethyst

Quote:
One thing that struck me when we visited relatives in Spain and Italy numerous years ago is that they didn't have as much "stuff" as we do, but what they did have was of very high quality. I think of it as Walmart and Christmas Tree Shop's fault.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
I am very proud of the fact that I have a two car garage, and I park both our cars in it. A rarity in my neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Yep. Us too... and we're close to the only ones. Several families manage to squeeze one car in the 2 car garage... but almost no one has both cars in it.
Quote:
We park in our two-cars in our two-car garage as well unless I have some building project going that I need the cover. That said, we still have a lot of "stuff".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We also park both our cars in our 2-car garage. It is curious why so many neighbors don't. The Clampetts (as I call them, to DW's partial chagrin) next door have 3 cars in the driveway, none in their 2-car garage...still packed with boxes after more than 5 years in the house.
Does it mean I win if we not only park a car, but also our travel trailer in our two car garage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garage-1.jpg (385.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #30

Funny that a travel trailer is mentioned. I think they are a great idea, but we're stepping back from it because of the "stuff effect."

It will take another parking spot. It will have to fed and cared for. Stuff to support it will be bought and stored, etc.

We like motelling it when we travel and may just stay that way. My only problem with that is bedbugs.

In any case, I admit I had an extra car until last month. A junker, if you will. Finally woke up one morning and realized this extra car was just a PITA and causing more to deal with in life. So it is gone now. Now time to get rid of some broken down furniture.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Funny that a travel trailer is mentioned. I think they are a great idea, but we're stepping back from it because of the "stuff effect."

It will take another parking spot. It will have to fed and cared for. Stuff to support it will be bought and stored, etc.

We like motelling it when we travel and may just stay that way. My only problem with that is bedbugs.

In any case, I admit I had an extra car until last month. A junker, if you will. Finally woke up one morning and realized this extra car was just a PITA and causing more to deal with in life. So it is gone now. Now time to get rid of some broken down furniture.
I'm with you on this, trust me. We use our travel trailer about 100 days a year, so it's been fully vetted and found to be 'justifiable' both from a cost and storage impact perspective.

EDIT: I just added up our usage days for 2014 - 147 nights out. So it would appear the excess 'stuff' might actually be our home, not our travel trailer!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #32

My cheapskate LBYM tendancies have kept me from "life creep" for the most part and it's one of the reasons I can even contemplate ER at age 52.

Both cars are in the garage, and always have been. I do have a dishwasher and a microwave, which we didn't have in our first home, but they both substantially save me time. Our first home was 1600 sq ft. When we moved 8 years later our second home was 1,800 sq ft. 8 years after that we moved to a 2,800 sq ft house which was way too big but still less than 1/2 what the Bank approved us for. We're now in a 1,500 sq ft home which is "just right".

And I still don't have a smartphone, but I do have a tablet (wifi only).
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #33

I grew up here, from 1936 til marriage in 1958. The house is 787sq. ft. Dad and mom rented the house for $7wk... 3BR, 1BA, living room. dining room, kitchen and pantry. No hot water until 1943... carried kettle from stove to 2nd floor BA on Saturday night. No phone until 1950.
One and a half miles to school... no school busses then. We walked back and forth, and came home for lunch, as there were no school lunches or cafeterias then. So 6 miles a day of exercise...Lunch break.. 20 minutes walk, 20 minutes for lunch at home, and 20 minutes walk back.
My bedroom was 2nd floor left, and my brother's on the right. Both dad and mom worked in textile mills... she a weaver, he a loomfixer who worked the night shift. 10PM to 7 AM. The textile industry was up and down, even in the war years, so layoffs were common when orders were slow. In the busy times, dad worked 60 to 70 hours a week... layoffs were usually a few weeks, and I can remember some hard times (though it didn't seem that way to me), when we had potato peel soup.

I never felt poor, though I usually had holes in the soles... with cardboard inserts that melted when it rained... Biggest disaster was the winter when my buckle galoshes leaked.

Worst memory... I was the last kid in the school to wear knickers... It was war years and the elastic that was supposed to tighten below the knee, was artificial rubber, and it just hanged... hung?... so I pretended to myself that the knickers were pants and wore the beltline low. Finally mom bought me some regular pants at the Army-Navy store... A milestone!

That, and the fact that I inherited a violin from my 18 year old uncle who was killed when his B24 crashed over Poland in 1943. ( he was the tail gunner, and couldn't get out, though the rest of the crew parachuted to safety).... sooo I had to take violin classes. My friends played trumpet, and drums. Ya just had to be there... (was allowed to quit after two years, and had reached the 6th position).

Times were different. Learned to love horse meat fried in butter... lard when rationing coupons ran out.

Best thing... we had a car... none of my closest friends' families had a car. It was a 38 Oldsmobile and rusted out... After the war, dad and I painted the car with the then "new" latex paint... a miracle invention. It was called "powder puff" painting... We used big cloth "puffs to apply the paint.

Enough... If we had had the money then, we could have bought the house for about $7000. It sold in 2006 for $240,000, and the current Zillow price is $137,000.

Ummm...so what was the subject? Doesn't take much to set off memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grew up here.jpg (88.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Ummm...so what was the subject? Doesn't take much to set of memories.
Lovely post - thank you for sharing your memories.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me that microwaves and dishwashers aren't really the problem, since they're relatively inexpensive, and have only a small effect on ongoing expenses...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Same here, and I don't understand why. Every home in this development has at least a one car garage. Most are two car garages. We were thrilled to have it - the car and truck stay cleaner longer, they don't have the deterioration from exposure to extremes of temperature and UV rays so they last longer, no more scraping ice & snow or getting into a heat-soaked car in summer. This is the first time either of us has had that luxury.

And yet most people leave their second most valuable possession outside to store junk in the garage. I must be abnormal because I just don't get it.

Er ... I keep one car in my 2 car garage b/c DW and I have only one car.

We tend to create our own lifestyle rather than follow the latest trend. If I feel I'd need a smart phone, I will get one. I spend a lot of effort to keep my life to be simple as possible. After coming back from work, I don't need any other complication. Golf, TV, internet, and I don't need much else.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
Does it mean I win if we not only park a car, but also our travel trailer in our two car garage?
That is the best hidden trailer hitch I've ever seen.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #38

The house I own in my home town is 1000 square feet and is plenty big enough for me. I have decided to return there the end of May. The apartment I currently rent is 850 Sq Ft. As far as I'm concerned if my dwelling is bigger than I can clean in one day it is too big.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I smell an oxymoron in here somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I spend a lot of effort to keep my life to be simple as possible. .
Old 12-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I spend a lot of effort to keep my life to be simple as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I smell an oxymoron in here somewhere...
It does sound a bit like a Ziggy cartoon.

When I first moved into my house after the divorce I had a corkboard mounted on the kitchen wall near the phone for sticking up notes, phone #'s and the like. It had Ziggy on it and in big print "Stuff I gotta remember not to forget".

Sadly DW didn't like it so now it's down in the basement.