Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What was the line in THE BIG CHILL? "There is no music except the 60's" or some such. Seriously, I think my problem with anything too new is my personal I-Pod is full (not the one you put on your ears, but the one between them). Most of the YouTube offerings on this post don't do much for me. I can appreciate the artistic quality, the obvious talent, etc. I just don't connect with them. I think it is (as one poster alluded) the lack of dynamic range available with these speakers. I've been in venues such as theaters and clubs in which the sound system has turned me on to something I never heard before. Without that, I need my brain to fill in the gaps most of my current "systems" lack (e.g., car radio, boom box, etc.) With the oldies I implanted in my brain back in the 60s and early 70s, my brain fills in the holes in the dynamic range and it's like I'm in a concert when I watch a YouTube video on my computer with the cheap speakers. It's a true miracle as it happens.

Turns out this miracle is the basis of Cochlear implants. I read an article on them that talked about this phenomenon. With implants, you hear enough that, if your brain knows what to expect, it can fill in the rest. If your DW speaks to you, you know what she sounded like back when you could hear, so your brain works with the implant to help you "hear" her speak. A cartoon you've never watched may still sound like gibberish since you don't know what the voices of strange characters should sound like.

My guess is that kids (in my case, about age 5 to 25) soak up the music of their generation and at some point, that part of the brain which "records" music, stops doing so. From then on, the less familiar sounds rarely sound as good. Just a wild guess, but could be valid. It does seem to be a generality that people enjoy the music of their youth much more than newer music. It's not universal, of course as this thread attests.

A few years ago, my eldest was shocked that I knew who Lennie Kravits was. I had to explain to her that he "nailed" American Woman (originally by Guess Who - an all time favorite band) in an "over-driven" sort of way.

I'm sure the fact that my hearing isn't nearly what it used to be limits my enjoyment of newer offerings. Mentioned on another thread, I dread the day when "oldies" contain Rap. Hope I'll be dead by then.

Still, thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I've had a good time appreciating (if not internalizing) all the new offerings out there.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
A few years ago, my eldest was shocked that I knew who Lennie Kravits was. I had to explain to her that he "nailed" American Woman (originally by Guess Who - an all time favorite band) in an "over-driven" sort of way.
You got that right. Lenny can play some mean gee-tar.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My guess is that kids (in my case, about age 5 to 25) soak up the music of their generation and at some point, that part of the brain which "records" music, stops doing so. From then on, the less familiar sounds rarely sound as good. Just a wild guess, but could be valid. It does seem to be a generality that people enjoy the music of their youth much more than newer music. It's not universal, of course as this thread attests.
I don't think I agree with this. Even though I know I don't have the hearing I once did (thanks 1978 Who concert), I can still appreciate music, both new and old. As far as not appreciating new music, I think it's a lack of exposure more than an inability to appreciate it. I think if you spend time going outside the radio presets you can find some real pearls among the swine. Sometimes when I listen to a set of real crap I remind myself that there was an awful lot of "music" back in the day that if we were forced to listen to it now would evoke Pavlovian projectile vomiting. Anybody want to be locked in a room and forced to listen to Tony Orlando or Bobby Goldsboro?

Quote:
Lol. When we had a high school graduation party for DD at our house 7 years ago, she was mortified to find her "cool" male friends digging through her definitely uncool Dad's CD collection. Not for my Dead or Clapton albums, but for Phish and MM&W.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
MM&W.
Would that be Martin, Medesky and Wood? Did you ever go to a concert? My brother was their sound engineer and toured with them for several years.

Audrey
Old 07-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

A few folks mentioned Fat Boy Slim. Can't think of him without thinking of this classic:

Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #46

I have tried to listen to new music stations on satellite radio whenever possible and have found some very good new things. My problem is that as soon as rap or hip-hop starts or an auto-tune is used I have to change the station.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Would that be Martin, Medesky and Wood? Did you ever go to a concert? My brother was their sound engineer and toured with them for several years.

Audrey
Yes it would, and I've seen them a few times. Too cool that your bro was touring with them. They're a great band.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I have tried to listen to new music stations on satellite radio whenever possible and have found some very good new things. My problem is that as soon as rap or hip-hop starts or an auto-tune is used I have to change the station.
Have you ever seen the news in auto-tune?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Have you ever seen the news in auto-tune?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes it would, and I've seen them a few times. Too cool that your bro was touring with them. They're a great band.
Yeah - very cool band and music great to watch live. Loved the organ originally belonging to Steppenwolf.

When they came the Austin, my brother would usually get us in the venue (usually at Stubbs BBQ - an outdoor venue downtown). We'd hang out with the band before the concert - so I got to know the members a little. It's been a long time now.

Audrey
Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I was somewhat re-energized by the "grunge" scene that started in the early 90s. Pearl Jam, Soundgarten, Green Day, etc. Of course, a thousand clones followed...

Back in the day, I ran around with a bunch of musicians and dope-smoking hippies, and we "turned each other on" to lesser known artists. Some examples: John Prine, Roy Buchanan, John Hartford, Larry Raspberry and the Highsteppers, Rory Gallagher. Many of these artists never achieved "stardom", or received airplay, but were definitely worth the price of admission. Fast forward to now, many good acts have no media outlet for their music. "Classic" rock stations play Skynyrd and Journey ad nauseum, but won't play "alternative", and vice versa. Country music is so slick, over-produced, and formulaic that a Hank Jr. or Willie Nelson wouldn't make the rotation these days. Still a lot of good music out there, especially in the smaller venues, but you have to look for it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I was somewhat re-energized by the "grunge" scene that started in the early 90s. Pearl Jam, Soundgarten, Green Day, etc. Of course, a thousand clones followed...

Back in the day, I ran around with a bunch of musicians and dope-smoking hippies, and we "turned each other on" to lesser known artists. Some examples: John Prine, Roy Buchanan, John Hartford, Larry Raspberry and the Highsteppers, Rory Gallagher. Many of these artists never achieved "stardom", or received airplay, but were definitely worth the price of admission. Fast forward to now, many good acts have no media outlet for their music. "Classic" rock stations play Skynyrd and Journey ad nauseum, but won't play "alternative", and vice versa. Country music is so slick, over-produced, and formulaic that a Hank Jr. or Willie Nelson wouldn't make the rotation these days. Still a lot of good music out there, especially in the smaller venues, but you have to look for it...
AMEN!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
AMEN!
Yeah!!

#!

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Well said, HFWR. Nice follow up youtubes by RonBoyd.

Had the privilege of seeing John Hartford once is a small venue. John Prine a couple times and Steve Goodman probably a dozen, all small clubs in/around Chicago-land. I could go on for hours, so I won't

I heard a Bonnie Koloc number just recently, another great Chicago folkie from the 70's one who never made it 'big'. I'll get those old records digitized one of these days...

-ERD50
Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

I really like a lot of the artist you guys have mentioned but I watched a free concert (cable) a couple days ago.
Non other than the Allman Brothers Band.
I usually don't give the bands much credit after they start touring with new members.
But the new bass and both guitar players touring with Greg are great.
I'm sure you can find them on YouTube - check them out.
Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks play guitar in the Allman Brothers and tour but also have their on bands. Warren for example is with "Government Mule" which a great band, if you've heard of them.
Not the new stuff the thread started out with but got my attention when I saw how good a job they are doing with the old tunes.
Steve

I just found a good example of their guitar playing.
Not the most famous song but shows their talent.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks
+2

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I find that attempting to find new music via the radio is already hard for me at 30. I also am from the internet generation; so I find it more natural to find new music online with sites/blogs such as Indie Shuffle, Music Ninja, Pretty Much Amazing; etc. Don't forget Pandora and GrooveShark.

Lady Gaga has a few acoustic songs that I like; they are just her playing piano and singing.

I'm obviously also of an age to be in love with 90's grunge/punk. Green Day, Offspring, etc. But I also love Rachmaninov

I don't think it's hard to like new music; just that the radio will always be targeting the pre-teens and teens.

Right now, I'm loving Chiddy Bang.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderguy View Post
Don't forget Pandora and GrooveShark.
And Slacker Personal Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio Stations -- the same principle as Pandora; You tell it what kind/type of music you like and then you customize the "play list" further with feedback via like/dislike buttons.

The advantage to Slacker is you can download the music (over 48 hours worth) to a device that you can take with you for those time you are without Internet access. A "must have" when traveling the back roads. I simply plug it into the vehicle's radio (via a male to male cord) and never worry about locating a Station I like every fifty miles.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks play guitar in the Allman Brothers and tour but also have their on bands. Warren for example is with "Government Mule" which a great band, if you've heard of them.
Not really new members of the Allman Bros. Warren's been playing with them for 20 years, and Derek for at least 15, which is pretty amazing since he's just 30.

Speaking of new music, the Derek Trucks band is absolutely amazing. And when he performs with his wife Susan Tedeschi, OMG. She's not quite as hot as Grace Potter, but pretty darn close. And she's an excellent blues singer and musician in her own right. Derek's band is a sort of bluesy/Afro/jazzy/Indian/cajuny style group. He is, IMHO, the best active guitar player around now. I particularly like his interactions with Kofi Burbridge's flute.

Just a sample.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Speaking of new music, the Derek Trucks band is absolutely amazing.
That's some mighty fine playin' and singin'! Another great band I was unfamiliar with. You guys are just too cool.