Modern Popular Music?

I was somewhat re-energized by the "grunge" scene that started in the early 90s. Pearl Jam, Soundgarten, Green Day, etc. Of course, a thousand clones followed...

Back in the day, I ran around with a bunch of musicians and [-]dope-smoking[/-] hippies, and we "turned each other on" to lesser known artists. Some examples: John Prine, Roy Buchanan, John Hartford, Larry Raspberry and the Highsteppers, Rory Gallagher. Many of these artists never achieved "stardom", or received airplay, but were definitely worth the price of admission. Fast forward to now, many good acts have no media outlet for their music. "Classic" rock stations play Skynyrd and Journey ad nauseum, but won't play "alternative", and vice versa. Country music is so slick, over-produced, and formulaic that a Hank Jr. or Willie Nelson wouldn't make the rotation these days. Still a lot of good music out there, especially in the smaller venues, but you have to look for it...

I was somewhat re-energized by the "grunge" scene that started in the early 90s. Pearl Jam, Soundgarten, Green Day, etc. Of course, a thousand clones followed...

Back in the day, I ran around with a bunch of musicians and [-]dope-smoking[/-] hippies, and we "turned each other on" to lesser known artists. Some examples: John Prine, Roy Buchanan, John Hartford, Larry Raspberry and the Highsteppers, Rory Gallagher. Many of these artists never achieved "stardom", or received airplay, but were definitely worth the price of admission. Fast forward to now, many good acts have no media outlet for their music. "Classic" rock stations play Skynyrd and Journey ad nauseum, but won't play "alternative", and vice versa. Country music is so slick, over-produced, and formulaic that a Hank Jr. or Willie Nelson wouldn't make the rotation these days. Still a lot of good music out there, especially in the smaller venues, but you have to look for it...
AMEN!

Well said, HFWR. Nice follow up youtubes by RonBoyd.

Had the privilege of seeing John Hartford once is a small venue. John Prine a couple times and Steve Goodman probably a dozen, all small clubs in/around Chicago-land. I could go on for hours, so I won't ;)

I heard a Bonnie Koloc number just recently, another great Chicago folkie from the 70's one who never made it 'big'. I'll get those old records digitized one of these days...

-ERD50

I really like a lot of the artist you guys have mentioned but I watched a free concert (cable) a couple days ago.
Non other than the Allman Brothers Band.
I usually don't give the bands much credit after they start touring with new members.
But the new bass and both guitar players touring with Greg are great.
I'm sure you can find them on YouTube - check them out.
Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks play guitar in the Allman Brothers and tour but also have their on bands. Warren for example is with "Government Mule" which a great band, if you've heard of them.
Not the new stuff the thread started out with but got my attention when I saw how good a job they are doing with the old tunes.
Steve

I just found a good example of their guitar playing.
Not the most famous song but shows their talent.

I find that attempting to find new music via the radio is already hard for me at 30. I also am from the internet generation; so I find it more natural to find new music online with sites/blogs such as Indie Shuffle, Music Ninja, Pretty Much Amazing; etc. Don't forget Pandora and GrooveShark.

Lady Gaga has a few acoustic songs that I like; they are just her playing piano and singing.

I'm obviously also of an age to be in love with 90's grunge/punk. Green Day, Offspring, etc. But I also love Rachmaninov

I don't think it's hard to like new music; just that the radio will always be targeting the pre-teens and teens.

Right now, I'm loving Chiddy Bang.

Don't forget Pandora and GrooveShark.

And Slacker Personal Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio Stations -- the same principle as Pandora; You tell it what kind/type of music you like and then you customize the "play list" further with feedback via like/dislike buttons.

The advantage to Slacker is you can download the music (over 48 hours worth) to a device that you can take with you for those time you are without Internet access. A "must have" when traveling the back roads. I simply plug it into the vehicle's radio (via a male to male cord) and never worry about locating a Station I like every fifty miles.

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks play guitar in the Allman Brothers and tour but also have their on bands. Warren for example is with "Government Mule" which a great band, if you've heard of them.

Not really new members of the Allman Bros. Warren's been playing with them for 20 years, and Derek for at least 15, which is pretty amazing since he's just 30. :D

Speaking of new music, the Derek Trucks band is absolutely amazing. And when he performs with his wife Susan Tedeschi, OMG. She's not quite as hot as Grace Potter, but pretty darn close. And she's an excellent blues singer and musician in her own right. Derek's band is a sort of bluesy/Afro/jazzy/Indian/cajuny style group. :LOL: He is, IMHO, the best active guitar player around now. I particularly like his interactions with Kofi Burbridge's flute.

Just a sample.

YouTube - Derek Trucks Songlines LIVE

Speaking of new music, the Derek Trucks band is absolutely amazing.

That's some mighty fine playin' and singin'! Another great band I was unfamiliar with. You guys are just too cool. :cool:

Anyone ever heard of the Decemberists? My apologies ahead of time for the blips in the video.

Oh! I do so love traditional music made fresh:

YouTube - I-CON26: Brobdingnagian Bards - Do Virgins Taste Better?

And if you need the lyrics:

A dragon has come to our village today
We have asked him to leave, but he won't go away
Now he's met with our king, and they've made out a deal
No homes will he burn, and no crops will he steal

Now there is but one catch, we dislike it a bunch
twice a year he invites him a virgin to lunch
we have no other choice, so the deal we'll respect
we can't help but wonder and pause to reflect

Do virgins taste better than those who are not?
Are they salty or sweet or more juicy or what?
Do you savor them slowly, gulp them down on the spot?

Now we'd like to be shed you, and many have tried.
But no one can get through your thick scaly hide.
We hope that some day, some brave knight will come by.
'Cause we can't wait around 'til you're too fat to fly.

Now you have such good taste in your women for sure
They always are pretty, always are pure
But you're notion of dining it makes us all flinch
You're favorite entree is barbecued wench (mine too!)

Now I found a solution, it works out so neat
If you insist on nothing but virgins to eat
No more will our number ever grow small
We'll simply make sure theres no virgins at all

Now, I am a dragon, please listen to me
For I'm misunderstood to a dreadful degree.
This ecology needs me and I know my place,
But I'm fighting extinction with all of my race.

Well, I came to this village to better my health
Which is shockingly poor, despite all my wealth.
But I get no assistance and no sympathy,
Just impertinent questioning shouted at me.

Yes, virgins taste better than those who are not.
But my favorite snack food with peril is fraught.
For my teeth will decay and my trim go to pot.
Yet virgins taste better than those who are not.

Well, I'm really quite good almost all through the year.
Vegetarian ways are now mine out of fear.
But a birthday needs sweets as I'm sure you'll agree.
And barbecued wench tastes like candy to me!

As it happens our interests are almost the same.
For I'm really quite skillful at managing game.
If I ate just your men, would your excess decline?
Of course not, the rest would just make better time

Yes, virgins taste better than those who are not

But the number of babies a woman can bear
Has a limit, and that's why my pruning's done there.
Yet an orphan's a sad sight and so when I munch.
I'm careful to take only virgins for lunch.

And then there is the Dragon's response:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Dragon's Retorte (original version)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Claire Stephens McMurray[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now, I am a dragon. Please listen to me
For I'm misunderstood to a dreadful degree.
This ecology needs me and I know my place.
But I'm fighting extinction with all of my race.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Well, I came to this village to better my health
Which is shockingly poor, despite all my wealth.
But I get no assistance and no sympathy,
Just impertinent questioning shouted at me.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yessss, virgins taste better than those who are not.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now, we Worms are deep thinkers; at science we shine,
But our world's complicated with every new line.
We must quit all the things that we've done since the Flood
Like, lying on gold couches poisons our blood!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Well, I'm really quite good almost all through the year.
Vegetarian ways are now mine out of fear.
But a birthday needs sweets as I'm sure you'll agree.
And barbecued wench tastes like candy to me!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As it happens our interests are almost the same.
For I'm really quite skillful at managing game.
If I ate just your men, would your excess decline?
Of course not, the rest would just make better time
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But the number of babies a woman can bear
Has a limit, and that's why my prunings done there.
Yet an orphan's a sad sight and so when I munch.
I'm careful to take out a virgin for lunch
[/FONT]

Okay, just keep it up and I'll post something by the Electric Amish and crash this thread! Sheeesh!
:LOL:

I am so out of touch with the new stuff....I guess I am an oldie. :p

Beautiful song and sentiment....thanks Ron. :flowers:

Purron...you're right, maybe there's hope for me yet. :greetings10:

That Afro Celt Sound System is great, thanks for the links Audrey! If you haven't heard them, Celtic Cross was awesome (a world-music inspired psy-chill collaboration album between Simon Posford, Martin Glover and Saul Davies):

Simon does great psy-chill as Shpongle, this is one of my favorite tracks from them:

SomaFM has some great chill and downtempo channels.
Thanks for the selections and the links! I will pursue further...

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom