Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Modern Popular Music?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Modern Popular Music?

Anything you like that's come out in the past few years? I love the oldies, but, hey, let's face it - they're ancient history now. Just curious if any of you are interested in current musical artists.

My contribution: Gaga Bad Romance.

I see a little Madonna, Alice Cooper, and Bowie in Gaga. But with her own unique spin. Fastinating.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I just learned of Lady Gaga last week! I had not gotten around to see what she was all about. Thanks for the post, as it saves me some effort.

Interesting, but I am going to stick with my oldies. They still work for me... I guess I am too old to learn new "stuff".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I like The All American Rejects, Coldplay, Fall out Boy, Green Day, The Fray, Lifehouse, Linkin Park, Nickelback, Switchfoot, 3 Doors Down, Black Eyed Peas, etc...

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well then, again, everything old is new again. Check out Beyonce's mega hit "Single Ladies"

It didn't go unnoticed how this was so similiar to the Gwen Verdon dance routine to "Mexican Breakfast". Don't listen to the sound - just check out the moves. BTW, Gwen was married at one time to the late great Bob Fosse. "It's showtime folks".

Gwen Verdon-Mexican Breakfast - AOL Video
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Of course, there are current music stars that I am impressed with -- Pink, Black Eyed Peas, Selena (the unfortunate one, not Gomez), and a lot more that I can't think of off the top of my head. But to head the list has to be Norah Jones:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anything by Elbow. (Google and YouTube are your friends.) It takes 2-3 listens to get into each track, except perhaps this one:
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Radiohead "In Rainbows" is about as good of an album/CD/whatever as there has ever been, to my tastes.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Of course, there are current music stars that I am impressed with -... But to head the list has to be Norah Jones:
Odd thing (or maybe not), is when I hear some 'modern' artists that I like (such as Norah Jones), it seems to me that their music isn't that different from what I liked in the 60's & 70's. I think that track could have pretty much been on the radio in the early 70's and it would fit right in. It's very good, IMO, but is it really 'modern'?

Right down to the Wurlitzer Electric piano sound in there. In the late 70's all the talk was that synthesizers were going to replace orchestras, bands would be a few synths and nothing else. Yet, I'm always amazed to see current performers with the old Hammond B3s, Fender Rhoades, Wurlitzers and the occasional Vox Continental in the line up. Still see plenty of guitars, and very few of the synth guitars that Jan Hammer and Tom Coster were using in the 80's.

I think (in their time) that American Jazz was really 'new', 'Swing' to a lesser extent, but I still think of it as a new and somewhat unique form, Bluegrass to me really has some elements that I just never heard before (though it draws on older music, as all art does), Blues, and Rock after that. I can't think of much music today that I would consider 'new' that I like - hate rap and all its forms.

I've probably said this before, but I think 99% of music at anytime is junk. It's just that when we are younger we are exploring and probably more open and tolerant and listen to the 99% to get to the 1%. I did it when I was a kid, don't have the patience to do it now, so I might miss the 1% that is good today. But again, most of that seems to be similar to the 1% of 30 years ago. So I don't feel like I'm missing much.

Evidence of that - seems like the 'Classic Rock' stations play the same 4 songs over and over .

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

What's on my ipod-knockoff playlist?

Strongly influenced by my 3 and 5 year old daughters' taste in music (they watch youtube all the time):
Lady Gaga
Black Eyed Peas
Katy Perry
Shakira

My "classics":
Daft Punk
Basement Jaxx
Fatboy Slim
Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

For the last couple of years I just haven't been able to get enough of Afro-Celt Sound System. Generally very upbeat and energetic stuff. It's traditional and modern all at the same time!

Audrey
Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
For the last couple of years I just haven't been able to get enough of Afro-Celt Sound System. Generally very upbeat and energetic stuff. It's traditional and modern all at the same time!
Audrey
Love this! Thanks. I had never heard of them before.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
+ 1 Different and very good!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Just so we are clear: I like all kinds of music... including this:

I have to admit, there was a time when "Rap" was on my "take or leave it" side but I eventually grew up.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Audrey
Their first album is good too!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #15

Salif Keita is from Mali, and this track is pretty amazing. Listen to the whole thing - it builds.

Not sure if this qualifies as "modern popular music", but it's good stuff!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
My "classics":
Daft Punk
Basement Jaxx
Fatboy Slim
Daft Punk?

Cha!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #17

Does the re-issue of "Exile On Main Street" count? It comes with an awesome documentary about the making of the album.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'm always looking for new music. Popular? Not so sure. I prefer to find new talent before they get famous and then diss them when they hit the big time. A tradition that dates back from Blue Oyster Cult to Bonnie Raitt to Dave Matthews. My most recent crush is Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Hope she hits it big eventually, but not too soon.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #19

Nope, don't like this stuff. I think I'll turn on the Crystals.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I ran into them and a few other nice groups when I used to listen to the XM "electronic groove" channel called "XM Chill". Otherwise I would never have heard them. That channel is no longer available, unfortunately. A lot of the stuff was kind of boring - but then they would play a real gem, and it would be worth it. I got a lot of my recent music this way.

I really enjoy the meld of electronic/techno-pop and ethnic style. There is some really awesome "modern" stuff out there. Afro Celt Sound System might just be the best in this genre.

Audrey