Modern Popular Music?

She's on The Tonight Show tonight. Do you consider that "hitting it big"?

I didn't see that. I consider that hitting it sorta kinda big. Mostly as long as she is still playing smaller venues (like the Bottle and Cork where I just saw her) and not doing the stadium gigs I still consider her accessible. I don't like the big shows and crowds where the performers are these teeny tiny little figures up on a distant stage. Especially Grace, she's so hot you need to see her up close. :cool:

Careful Harley, we're going to have to add you to the restraining orders that our group at Floyd will need to keep them from climbing up on stage with Grace! LOL! Wait til you see Spiral (the hoop and aerial performer). Hot stuff according to the guys.

I agree that I almost hate it when my favorite performers make it big and move out of the smaller venues.

Me--I'm a Chris Knight and William Walter fan-girl! Whew!:cool:

Attachments

• ChrisKnight.jpg
    ChrisKnight.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 79
  • WW FF.JPG
    WW FF.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 1
My favorites :

Jake Shimabukuro (Ukulele)

Jonny Lang (Guitar)

John Mayer (Guitar)

I'm [-] happy [/-]embarrassed to confess that there is only one artist mentioned here that I have ever even heard of, let alone heard their music...

...now, where's that curmudgeon certificate?...hmmm, gotta be in here somewhere... hey look, an old Guess Who album!... and The Eagles... and Kansas, Steve Miller Band, Boston, and Joe Cocker!.. now, where'd that record player go? :whistle:

I still spin albums, WS, not to worry. And I have quite a few album covers as art in my living room. I love the sound of my albums and I like that back then, they put some thought into the song order.

This is one of my favorite cover of all time, yowza yowza yowza--I try not to watch the latest concert footage of him with Carole King as I'd rather think of him just as he was here:

Attachments

• SWJ.jpg
    SWJ.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 74
That Afro Celt Sound System is great, thanks for the links Audrey! If you haven't heard them, Celtic Cross was awesome (a world-music inspired psy-chill collaboration album between Simon Posford, Martin Glover and Saul Davies):
YouTube - Shpongle - Hicksville [HD]

Simon does great psy-chill as Shpongle, this is one of my favorite tracks from them:
YouTube - Shpongle DMT

SomaFM has some great chill and downtempo channels.

This is for Major Tom (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Wow - 1969!

Well - singing and instrumentals on the later version is much better. (But the video even freakier!)

Audrey

Aww - thanks Audrey. There is a certain charm to the simplicity of the earlier version, though I like 'em both. You're giving me lots of flashbacks!

I'm [-] happy [/-]embarrassed to confess that there is only one artist mentioned here that I have ever even heard of, let alone heard their music...

What's there to be embarrassed about?

Hey, I have not been turning on my TV in a while. Do you know if the Lawrence Welk show is still on? :hide:

Aww - thanks Audrey. There is a certain charm to the simplicity of the earlier version, though I like 'em both. You're giving me lots of flashbacks!
I gave myself a few flashbacks too! I ended up downloading Best of Bowie from iTunes this morning. 20 songs for $7.99 and an amazing collection of hits.

Forget this modern stuff. The old stuff still rocks!

Audrey

This is one of my favorite cover of all time, yowza yowza yowza--I try not to watch the latest concert footage of him with Carole King as I'd rather think of him just as he was here:
Yeah - I would say "Sweet Baby James" describes the photo very well.

Audrey

What was the line in THE BIG CHILL? "There is no music except the 60's" or some such. Seriously, I think my problem with anything too new is my personal I-Pod is full (not the one you put on your ears, but the one between them). Most of the YouTube offerings on this post don't do much for me. I can appreciate the artistic quality, the obvious talent, etc. I just don't connect with them. I think it is (as one poster alluded) the lack of dynamic range available with these speakers. I've been in venues such as theaters and clubs in which the sound system has turned me on to something I never heard before. Without that, I need my brain to fill in the gaps most of my current "systems" lack (e.g., car radio, boom box, etc.) With the oldies I implanted in my brain back in the 60s and early 70s, my brain fills in the holes in the dynamic range and it's like I'm in a concert when I watch a YouTube video on my computer with the cheap speakers. It's a true miracle as it happens.

Turns out this miracle is the basis of Cochlear implants. I read an article on them that talked about this phenomenon. With implants, you hear enough that, if your brain knows what to expect, it can fill in the rest. If your DW speaks to you, you know what she sounded like back when you could hear, so your brain works with the implant to help you "hear" her speak. A cartoon you've never watched may still sound like gibberish since you don't know what the voices of strange characters should sound like.

My guess is that kids (in my case, about age 5 to 25) soak up the music of their generation and at some point, that part of the brain which "records" music, stops doing so. From then on, the less familiar sounds rarely sound as good. Just a wild guess, but could be valid. It does seem to be a generality that people enjoy the music of their youth much more than newer music. It's not universal, of course as this thread attests.

A few years ago, my eldest was shocked that I knew who Lennie Kravits was. I had to explain to her that he "nailed" American Woman (originally by Guess Who - an all time favorite band) in an "over-driven" sort of way.

I'm sure the fact that my hearing isn't nearly what it used to be limits my enjoyment of newer offerings. Mentioned on another thread, I dread the day when "oldies" contain Rap. Hope I'll be dead by then.

Still, thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I've had a good time appreciating (if not internalizing) all the new offerings out there.

My guess is that kids (in my case, about age 5 to 25) soak up the music of their generation and at some point, that part of the brain which "records" music, stops doing so. From then on, the less familiar sounds rarely sound as good. Just a wild guess, but could be valid. It does seem to be a generality that people enjoy the music of their youth much more than newer music. It's not universal, of course as this thread attests.

I don't think I agree with this. Even though I know I don't have the hearing I once did (thanks 1978 Who concert), I can still appreciate music, both new and old. As far as not appreciating new music, I think it's a lack of exposure more than an inability to appreciate it. I think if you spend time going outside the radio presets you can find some real pearls among the swine. Sometimes when I listen to a set of real crap I remind myself that there was an awful lot of "music" back in the day that if we were forced to listen to it now would evoke Pavlovian projectile vomiting. :D Anybody want to be locked in a room and forced to listen to Tony Orlando or Bobby Goldsboro? :eek:

A few years ago, my eldest was shocked that I knew who Lennie Kravits was. I had to explain to her that he "nailed" American Woman (originally by Guess Who - an all time favorite band) in an "over-driven" sort of way.

Lol. When we had a high school graduation party for DD at our house 7 years ago, she was mortified to find her "cool" male friends digging through her definitely uncool Dad's CD collection. Not for my Dead or Clapton albums, but for Phish and MM&W. :LOL:

I have tried to listen to new music stations on satellite radio whenever possible and have found some very good new things. My problem is that as soon as rap or hip-hop starts or an auto-tune is used I have to change the station.

Would that be Martin, Medesky and Wood? Did you ever go to a concert? My brother was their sound engineer and toured with them for several years.

Audrey

Yes it would, and I've seen them a few times. Too cool that your bro was touring with them. They're a great band.

Yes it would, and I've seen them a few times. Too cool that your bro was touring with them. They're a great band.
Yeah - very cool band and music great to watch live. Loved the organ originally belonging to Steppenwolf.

When they came the Austin, my brother would usually get us in the venue (usually at Stubbs BBQ - an outdoor venue downtown). We'd hang out with the band before the concert - so I got to know the members a little. It's been a long time now.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom