Modern Popular Music?

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anything you like that's come out in the past few years? I love the oldies, but, hey, let's face it - they're ancient history now. Just curious if any of you are interested in current musical artists.

My contribution: Gaga Bad Romance.

YouTube - Lady Gaga - Bad Romance

I see a little Madonna, Alice Cooper, and Bowie in Gaga. But with her own unique spin. Fastinating.

I just learned of Lady Gaga last week! I had not gotten around to see what she was all about. Thanks for the post, as it saves me some effort.

Interesting, but I am going to stick with my oldies. They still work for me... I guess I am too old to learn new "stuff".

Of course, there are current music stars that I am impressed with -- Pink, Black Eyed Peas, Selena (the unfortunate one, not Gomez), and a lot more that I can't think of off the top of my head. But to head the list has to be Norah Jones:

YouTube - Thinking About You - Norah Jones

Radiohead "In Rainbows" is about as good of an album/CD/whatever as there has ever been, to my tastes.

Of course, there are current music stars that I am impressed with -... But to head the list has to be Norah Jones:

Odd thing (or maybe not), is when I hear some 'modern' artists that I like (such as Norah Jones), it seems to me that their music isn't that different from what I liked in the 60's & 70's. I think that track could have pretty much been on the radio in the early 70's and it would fit right in. It's very good, IMO, but is it really 'modern'?

Right down to the Wurlitzer Electric piano sound in there. In the late 70's all the talk was that synthesizers were going to replace orchestras, bands would be a few synths and nothing else. Yet, I'm always amazed to see current performers with the old Hammond B3s, Fender Rhoades, Wurlitzers and the occasional Vox Continental in the line up. Still see plenty of guitars, and very few of the synth guitars that Jan Hammer and Tom Coster were using in the 80's.

I think (in their time) that American Jazz was really 'new', 'Swing' to a lesser extent, but I still think of it as a new and somewhat unique form, Bluegrass to me really has some elements that I just never heard before (though it draws on older music, as all art does), Blues, and Rock after that. I can't think of much music today that I would consider 'new' that I like - hate rap and all its forms.

I've probably said this before, but I think 99% of music at anytime is junk. It's just that when we are younger we are exploring and probably more open and tolerant and listen to the 99% to get to the 1%. I did it when I was a kid, don't have the patience to do it now, so I might miss the 1% that is good today. But again, most of that seems to be similar to the 1% of 30 years ago. So I don't feel like I'm missing much.

Evidence of that - seems like the 'Classic Rock' stations play the same 4 songs over and over ;).

-ERD50

What's on my ipod-knockoff playlist?

Strongly influenced by my 3 and 5 year old daughters' taste in music (they watch youtube all the time):
Lady Gaga
Black Eyed Peas
Katy Perry
Shakira

My "classics":
Daft Punk
Basement Jaxx
Fatboy Slim

For the last couple of years I just haven't been able to get enough of Afro-Celt Sound System. Generally very upbeat and energetic stuff. It's traditional and modern all at the same time!
Audrey

Love this! Thanks. I had never heard of them before.

Does the re-issue of "Exile On Main Street" count? It comes with an awesome documentary about the making of the album.

I'm always looking for new music. Popular? Not so sure. I prefer to find new talent before they get famous and then diss them when they hit the big time. A tradition that dates back from Blue Oyster Cult to Bonnie Raitt to Dave Matthews. My most recent crush is Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Hope she hits it big eventually, but not too soon. :D

YouTube - Grace Potter at the Boston Music Awards

Love this! Thanks. I had never heard of them before.
I ran into them and a few other nice groups when I used to listen to the XM "electronic groove" channel called "XM Chill". Otherwise I would never have heard them. That channel is no longer available, unfortunately. A lot of the stuff was kind of boring - but then they would play a real gem, and it would be worth it. I got a lot of my recent music this way.

I really enjoy the meld of electronic/techno-pop and ethnic style. There is some really awesome "modern" stuff out there. Afro Celt Sound System might just be the best in this genre.

Audrey

My most recent crush is Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Hope she hits it big eventually, but not too soon. :D

She's on The Tonight Show tonight. Do you consider that "hitting it big"?

Their first album is good too!
The first album I downloaded was "Seed". The "Rise Above it" song linked above is off of that. Too bad I couldn't find "All Remains" on YouTube - that is perhaps the most beautiful reggae song I have ever heard. Their Irish Tenor is so amazing. I'm sure you can listen to part of it on iTunes or something.

Here is another one from Seed. "Deep Channel" may have been what I first heard from ACSS on XM Chill.

YouTube - Deep Channel - Afro Celt Sound System

Audrey

P.S. Every time I read your name I hear David Bowie singing "This is Major Tom to Ground Control....." - oh wait - that's an oldie!

Pure Electronic Groove: Track n Field - just 2 guys in Helsinki. XM Radio played their stuff constantly on XM Chill during 2007 - particularly this one. Track n Field was the reason I originally signed up for iTunes, because you couldn't get their music in the US any other way. Unfortunately - no longer available on iTunes for some reason.

You really need to listen through headphones. Regular computer or car speakers don't handle their dynamic range very well.
YouTube - Track N Field - Iso Maha

Audrey

Anything by Audioslave, I have all their albums.

In the new age realm, I like Scott Huckabay, saw him twice at Burning Man. His recorded music is good but his live performances are beyond description.

Nope, don't like this stuff. I think I'll turn on the Crystals.

"He Hit Me (It Felt Like A Kiss)" is a little creepy, given Phil Spector's history, though it was written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin. Great band.

Back
Top Bottom