Mom had a stroke. What do I do now?

Met with the attorney today ($200). He clarified some of my misconceptions about Medicare issues and the interstate complications, but I'm still feeling a little lost and don't know what to do. He referred me to another attorney closer to where mom lives if I want to get the Power of Attorney. That would be another $350+ depending on travel so the attorney could be there to witness mom signing the POA. All on my dime, of course. Quite frankly, we've already spent a chunk of cash on gas, food, a vacation we had to cancel, and now the attorney fee. We really don't have loads of money to spare right now. Lost and frustrated...

Met with the attorney today ($200). He clarified some of my misconceptions about Medicare issues and the interstate complications, but I'm still feeling a little lost and don't know what to do. He referred me to another attorney closer to where mom lives if I want to get the Power of Attorney. That would be another $350+ depending on travel so the attorney could be there to witness mom signing the POA. All on my dime, of course. Quite frankly, we've already spent a chunk of cash on gas, food, a vacation we had to cancel, and now the attorney fee. We really don't have loads of money to spare right now. Lost and frustrated...

That's why you need an emergency fund. Believe me, I've spent many thousands of dollars to address parental needs, real or imagined. I just buckled down and did it, because that's life.

Be very careful - the hospital will try to get you to sign something that will obligate you to pay her bills. Sounds like your mother may have a mental illness and social services would be a good place to start. Perhaps she can get disability.

Be very careful - the hospital will try to get you to sign something that will obligate you to pay her bills. Sounds like your mother may have a mental illness and social services would be a good place to start. Perhaps she can get disability.

Seconding this big time. I wouldn't sign anything at all for the hospital/nursing home/rehab center without reading every word and possibly running it by an attorney. They've been known to slip language that obligates you for payment into the fine print of larger, more general documents.

Seconding this big time. I wouldn't sign anything at all for the hospital/nursing home/rehab center without reading every word and possibly running it by an attorney. They've been known to slip language that obligates you for payment into the fine print of larger, more general documents.

Just don't sign anything, OP is a visitor at the hospital.

Money well spent now to prevent misunderstandings later on (e.g., your main task, selling her house so that the proceeds can fund her nursing home and then have Medicaid kick in--imagine the complications of getting it "sold" and learning you have no standing to do so).

Be very careful - the hospital will try to get you to sign something that will obligate you to pay her bills.

Yes, they tried that when FIL was in a rehab center after hip replacement surgery. Read everything carefully, and if you don't understand it or even think you might not understand it, don't sign it. That can end up costing you a lot more than attorney's fees!

Back
Top Bottom