Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Have you and DW considered getting a social worker or care coordinator involved? This has to be causing stress, especially for DW. At the very least, respite seems to be warranted.
Interesting suggestion. My first inclination was to describe how, no, we knew what needed to be done and it was just a matter of executing an appropriate plan (hey, I's an engineer!). On second thought, perhaps a third party who could outline the reasons and confront her with her true needs (and ours) might be helpful; to us if not her anyway. I'd like to think the brother in law could fulfill that role but that's wishful thinking, both DW and I know that. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. In the past I have looked at all the local senior services sites on line and it seems the vast majority are dedicated to helping seniors remain in homes; homes of their own. I'm sure the assisted care destination would have some suggestions.

Meanwhile we're pretty excited that a) DD, SIL and 4 grandchildren coming for a 10 day visit from London. Then this am son and fiancee called from Africa to let us know they're expecting first child. So it's sort of put a happy glaze on the home front here!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #122

When you married your wife became priority #1. Don't let your marriage suffer.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
When you married your wife became priority #1. Don't let your marriage suffer.
Not sure if that's directed at me, but I can assure you this issue has if anything brought us closer together. If anyone has changed it has been dear wife, who has become far less tolerant of the lack of appreciation, respect, and failure of her brother to participate. In years past I'd yack about it and she'd agree, now she jumps in and gets rather animated. And she's a real sweetheart; not easily provoked. I (we) have a ton of blessings, #1 being a great marriage that has weathered more than a few storms. I want nothing more than to make her life better. Mine? that would just be a bonus as far as I'm concerned! Thanks....
Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Interesting suggestion. My first inclination was to describe how, no, we knew what needed to be done and it was just a matter of executing an appropriate plan (hey, I's an engineer!). On second thought, perhaps a third party who could outline the reasons and confront her with her true needs (and ours) might be helpful; to us if not her anyway. I'd like to think the brother in law could fulfill that role but that's wishful thinking, both DW and I know that. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. In the past I have looked at all the local senior services sites on line and it seems the vast majority are dedicated to helping seniors remain in homes; homes of their own. I'm sure the assisted care destination would have some suggestions.

Meanwhile we're pretty excited that a) DD, SIL and 4 grandchildren coming for a 10 day visit from London. Then this am son and fiancee called from Africa to let us know they're expecting first child. So it's sort of put a happy glaze on the home front here!
Caregivers have needs too, and there may be resources in your area to support them (you and DW). Here's an example.

http://www.fcns-caregiving.org/wp-co...on-package.pdf