Join Early Retirement Today

Mom's Moving to Town - Long
Old 09-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mom's Moving to Town - Long

Next month my mom is moving from Seattle to Florida and she will be living in our apartment complex just 2 buildings (1 minute walk?) away. I couldn't be happier. This will be the first time in 30 years I won't have to get on an airplane to visit her. My sister currently lives 6 houses up the street from mom and she is not thrilled but it's my turn to live close to mom! Unfortunately, I think my sister took my mom for granted and assumed she would always be close.

One day about 4 months ago we were talking on the phone when she surprised me by saying she felt like she was just hanging around waiting to die (she is 76) and wanted to move to FL. Time to change things up a bit! She doesn't say something unless she means it so I figured she had already thought about it a lot and made up her mind. She doesn't move very often, unlike me. She has lived in Seattle for the last 60 years and in only 2 different houses in the last 45 years.

She decided to get checked out by a doc prior to moving and thank goodness she did because the doc found her bp medicine was ruining her kidneys. She's on new bp medicine and her kidneys are virtually back to normal. Just need to get her to quit smoking now. She's been talking about doing that too for the first time in my life.

She's mailing a few boxes but mostly she is buying new stuff. I hit the latest Kohl's sale with my 30% off coupon to get her some kitchen and bath stuff. She went to JCPenney today to buy furniture that will be delivered to her apartment here in FL. She will give her car (9 years old with 30k miles) to my sister and buy another one out here.

Initially she wanted to drive out (doesn't like flying) but she changed her mind after mulling over the very long drive. My husband would have flown out and driven back with her. She agreed to fly but wanted to go first class. No problem. I will fly back to Seattle on the 22nd and my mom, sister and I will fly to FL on the 26th. My sister will stay for a week and then return to Seattle. I bought first class seats for me and mom and coach for my sister. I'll trade out with sis during the long first leg of the flight from Seattle to Atlanta.

Her new apartment is on the first floor with a nice screened lanai and will face east so she won't get the hot afternoon sun. The previous renter had lived there for many, many years so the apartment is scheduled for a complete upgrade. New kitchen cabinets and countertops, new bathroom vanity and walk-in shower, new carpet and vinyl flooring and new paint.

She says she is getting very excited about moving. She is really mad at her current landlord as he just finished a 3 month remodel of the tiny little bathroom in her rental house. It's the first time in 3 months she has been able to take as shower in her own bathroom. He thought he could save money by doing a bunch of the work himself. He's a jerk and she can hardly wait to be away from him. A normal person would have hired pros go get the job done ASAP to minimize the disruption to the life of a 76-year old tenant who hasn't missed a rent payment in 20 years. He's loaded but a cheap b*****d.

I'm still holding my breath that it all happens. Living closer to my mom has been my #1 wish for years but I never pictured her moving to FL to be my nearly next door neighbor! I am blessed.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Next month my mom is moving from Seattle to Florida and she will be living in our apartment complex just 2 buildings (1 minute walk?) away. I couldn't be happier.
Buckeye, I am very happy for both of you.

Ha
Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #3

That sounds like a wonderful idea! She'll be close but you'll still have your own places.

Maybe your sister will like your area and start thinking a move to Florida would be nice in the future.

It's good to hear of families that get along and want to be close to each other.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm so happy for you!! I am happy for her, too, because it sounds like she is young at heart and ready for the adventure of moving to Florida.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

In some areas of Florida a new 76 year old is a "new kid on the block " and I do mean kid. Good luck .
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! My Mom moved to Florida two years ago . She is two and a half hours away in Weeki Wachee living with my older sister . It's been great not having to fly a few times a year to visit plus try to elder care long distance . She usually stays with me every other month for a week to ten days and it's like a vacation to her . It's been especially nice at Christmas time . So enjoy !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow! It is so great to hear that your Mum is moving close to you & willing to take a move from West to East Coast life at her age!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
She says she is getting very excited about moving. She is really mad at her current landlord as he just finished a 3 month remodel of the tiny little bathroom in her rental house. It's the first time in 3 months she has been able to take as shower in her own bathroom. He thought he could save money by doing a bunch of the work himself. He's a jerk and she can hardly wait to be away from him. A normal person would have hired pros go get the job done ASAP to minimize the disruption to the life of a 76-year old tenant who hasn't missed a rent payment in 20 years. He's loaded but a cheap b*****d.
Even among Landlords, this guy is a Creep! No excuse for that....
NW Landlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

So happy for you! I love having my mom close by. Hope you two have lots of fun times together
Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Like W2R said, your mom seems like a neat lady with an adventurous heart. You must be so excited!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
That sounds like a wonderful idea! She'll be close but you'll still have your own places.

Maybe your sister will like your area and start thinking a move to Florida would be nice in the future.

It's good to hear of families that get along and want to be close to each other.
I would love to have my sister living close to me but her kids probably make that impossible for now. My sister has been unemployed for an extended period of time after being continuously employed since she was 16 (she is 50) so she would probably be up for a change. Sis and BIL are living separate lives in the same house (neither can afford to make it official and move out) but things start to get complicated were my sister to move far from Seattle. My nephew is 20 but my niece is only 13 and close to her dad. We'll have to see what happens.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Like W2R said, your mom seems like a neat lady with an adventurous heart. You must be so excited!
My mom left my dad when I was 18 months old and my sister was a newborn. She had her smarts (but no college degree) and a good work ethic but that was about it. Her parents lived 300 miles away and couldn't help on a day-to-day basis although we would go there for 4 weeks in the summer starting at about 7 yo until our early teens to give mom a break. My father was well off but he left the state and never paid child support. He did leave her unpaid income tax bills to pay. The sophisticated systems they have now for tracking down deadbeat dads didn't exist back then. The only assistance she ever took was the sliding scale at the United Way sponsored daycare we went to while she was at work.

This adventure is far less dramatic than raising two kids on her own back in the early sixties! I owe her a lot.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #12

God bless your dear mother, Buckeye. I love hearing about her and admire her tremendously given what you have told us about her life. I hope that I have what it takes, too, to be flexible and adventurous in the years ahead. I would give my right arm to have my parents alive and living near me today. They would be 106 (Dad) and 96 (Mom) if they were alive. They started their family late in life due to many factors, primarily WW II. You are so lucky!
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #13

Enjoy having your mom close to you. She sounds like a strong and adventurous woman.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful, heartwarming news. I hope you savor every moment you have with your momma.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Just a fun little vid dedicated to moms....

Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

That is fantastic for you and your mom! And I hope for peace and resolution for your sister's uncomfortable arrangements soon.
Enjoy the time and savor her spirit of adventure, Buckeye. I hope we have such zest at her age and willingness to try new things!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #17

I think this will be a whole new experience for Mom and put some zip in her step and a rebirth in her mind/body. She sounds like she's really up for it and excited, too. I'll bet you have a younger appearing mom pretty soon.
And what a wonderful daughter you are...I'd love to have a daughter like you. Very thoughtful and caring.
Enjoy, girl!!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wonderful news, Buckeye! Enjoy your new neighbor!
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote