Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
The math doesn't work. The chemistry doesn't work. Stupid, stupid, stupid...
So when have mere facts deterred a politician from doing anything?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

[quote=cute fuzzy bunny;646794]Costco...whole grain multigrain bread, two loaves for $3.50
quote]

I keep reading how the price of grain is going up but we have a local grocery store chain up here that hasn't increased it's bread prices at all.....$1.29 for a loaf....still the cheapest compared to other bigger retailers up here.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post

I keep reading how the price of grain is going up but we have a local grocery store chain up here that hasn't increased it's bread prices at all.....$1.29 for a loaf....still the cheapest compared to other bigger retailers up here.
Same here. Obviously, some parts of the country will experience different price changes, but I just went shopping today and a loaf of bread was $1.39, dozen eggs were $1.49, and a gallon of milk was $3.19. None of these items were on sale. Been shopping at the same store for about 3 years, and none of the staples have really changed in price except for the organic stuff.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well lets see. Costco had eggs 18 for $1.20ish, and milk was two gallons for $3.99. Two years ago. I dont remember what the bread prices were.

Now the eggs are $2.28 for 18 and the milk is $5.99 for two gallons.

A loaf of regular decent bread like orowheat or earthgrains in a local supermarket is generally between $4 and $5. A double milk is $6.99. An 18 pack of eggs is $3.29.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Same here. Obviously, some parts of the country will experience different price changes, but I just went shopping today and a loaf of bread was $1.39, dozen eggs were $1.49, and a gallon of milk was $3.19. None of these items were on sale. Been shopping at the same store for about 3 years, and none of the staples have really changed in price except for the organic stuff.
This is definitely regional. Bread at my (average priced) grocery store is $2/loaf, and milk is around $4. Plenty of foods have increased in price lately, and the price of groceries is shocking to me! but prices are way lower than in some other regions.

I try not to look at prices.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #46
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
It's been many years since I bought milk and several months since I bought bread. I buy most meat/eggs from local farmers. Don't really know if prices are going up.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #47

USA Today - Poll: Food costs a major worry for consumers

Poll: Food costs a major worry for consumers - USATODAY.com

Excerpts from the article

Rising food prices are a significant worry for Americans, with 73% of consumers in a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll citing higher grocery bills as a concern, and nearly half saying food inflation has caused a hardship for their households.

Consumer food inflation has been running at a 5.3% annual rate in the past three months, the Labor Department says. The largest price increases are white bread, up 16.3% in the past 12 months; milk, which has risen 13.3%; eggs, up 34.8%; and bananas, which are 17% higher.

Prices are being influenced by several factors, including rising U.S. exports, growing demand in nations such as China and India, poor crops in some important producing countries such as Australia, and the emergence of the biofuels industry. Economists predict a third of the U.S. corn crop will be diverted to government-subsidized ethanol production.

End of excerpts.

Things are not looking good for the American family.

The use of corn and grain for biofuels are not only affecting food prices in the U.S.A but they are also having a severe effect on the availability of rice and other foods worldwide which have lead to hunger, protests and violence.

In memory of Mr. Al Wilson - rest in peace

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And the milk? Why not powdered milk if they are really interested in scrimping?
Is it really cheaper? I can see WTR's point about convenience and storage, if you don't use much milk, but cheaper?

I've priced it out for use in cheese-making (some say adding cream to powdered milk can provide a better base for cheese-making than some store-bought whole milk), and it looked to be as much or more than the liquid stuff.

It's already been pointed out how stupid the ethanol-from-corn policy is. And now, from the same people that brought you ethanol, it's hydrogen - hydrogen is the new ethanol!

You can make it from water! Isn't that just wonderful <insert picture of kittens and rainbows>! Our government to the rescue, once again! What would we do without them!

Fact Sheet: Hydrogen Fuel: a Clean and Secure Energy Future

search 'hydrogen and hoax' in the titles of this forum for a good discussion on the subject. Good Morning america did an Earth Day segment yesterday, and they were touting this hydrogen car, because you know 'hydrogen is an abundant fuel, available right here in the good old USA'.... Arghhhhhh! with the resources available to the production staff of GMA, you'd think they could afford to do a little fact checking.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It's already been pointed out how stupid the ethanol-from-corn policy is. And now, from the same people that brought you ethanol, it's hydrogen - hydrogen is the new ethanol!

You can make it from water! Isn't that just wonderful <insert picture of kittens and rainbows>! Our government to the rescue, once again! What would we do without them!

Fact Sheet: Hydrogen Fuel: a Clean and Secure Energy Future

search 'hydrogen and hoax' in the titles of this forum for a good discussion on the subject. Good Morning america did an Earth Day segment yesterday, and they were touting this hydrogen car, because you know 'hydrogen is an abundant fuel, available right here in the good old USA'.... Arghhhhhh! with the resources available to the production staff of GMA, you'd think they could afford to do a little fact checking.

-ERD50
The use of corn and grains for ethanol does not seem to be working and it is creating a food crisis.

Here is a site that I came across that addresses water fueled cars.

Water Car Run on WATER+Fuel. Hydrogen Save Gas=FREE ENERGY!

I do not know if the site is on the up and up or if it is just a way to get people to buy into a product that is a hoax and in the end will get people to fool·ish·ly part with their hard earned cash.
"Crimes against Humanity"
Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

"Crimes against Humanity"

I saw a blurb yesterday during a short news story on increasing worldwide hunger that said world opinion is that America is committing "Crimes against Humanity" with the ethanol policy. I agree. I believe that until the technology exists to make ethanol from waste products (non-food and non-fertilized) it will cause more human misery than any other additive ever has.
2fer
Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is it really cheaper? I can see WTR's point about convenience and storage, if you don't use much milk, but cheaper?
To be honest I wasn't sure if it still is, so I googled it. Here's a recent webpage on that topic:

Saving Money with Powdered Milk

It concludes that fresh milk costs between $3.50-$4.50/gallon in most places, or $2/gallon in dairy regions, and that nonfat dry milk costs less than $2/gallon.

I did a price comparison about eight years ago, but due to the convenience and storage advantages (and the fact that I am twisted enough to think nonfat dry milk is yummy) I haven't compared prices lately, and just buy it 'cause I want it and ignore the price. (See, Orchidflower? I try to LBYM but there is definitely room for improvement. )

I buy the HUGE boxes that are only available in a few stores - - you probably wouldn't save much on those itty bitty boxes that are more commonly seen.

I also buy fresh skim milk regularly, because I'm not convinced that nonfat dry milk is as good a source of vitamins as fresh milk. When the fresh milk runs out, I switch to powdered.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good time to be a rice farmer eh?

abc7news.com: Food crisis makes California rice prices increase 4/22/08

time to cut out those government subsidy's
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Saving Money with Powdered Milk

Thanks W2R, I''ll have to see if Costco carries it - the local grocery I checked, it seemed pretty high.

As far as taste, I suppose it depends what you are used to. I drink skim *on* stuff, like oatmeal, rarely drink milk straight. But here is a real 'ringing endorsement' from that site:

Quote:
powdered milk tastes a lot better than it used to.
Not exactly a top-notch marketing slogan.

When we were kids, Thanksgiving was always at my Great Aunt & Uncles, they had no children. My sibs and cousins always said to my Mom - 'the milk tastes funny - like chalk - it sticks in my throat'. My Mom would always brush it off ' eat your green beans, the milk is just not as cold as you are used to, they didn't have room in the fridge for everything'. Decades later, she let on that it was powdered milk... Geezz, Auntie couldn't buy a gallon of milk for the kids one day a year (rest her soul)?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not exactly a top-notch marketing slogan. -
True! That really isn't very confidence inspiring.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Good time to be a rice farmer eh?

abc7news.com: Food crisis makes California rice prices increase 4/22/08

time to cut out those government subsidy's

Wal-Mart-owned Sam's Club limits rice purchases - Yahoo! News

looks like sam's club has a limit of one bag now...I can just see all of the people loading up..."we dont need a big ol bag o rice, but hey since they are limiting it, we should pick up a bag"
Old 04-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Wal-Mart-owned Sam's Club limits rice purchases - Yahoo! News

looks like sam's club has a limit of one bag now...I can just see all of the people loading up..."we dont need a big ol bag o rice, but hey since they are limiting it, we should pick up a bag"
I wonder if this rice shortage was behind the complete lack of short/medium grain brown rice at my grocery store on Tuesday. I thought it was just my incompetent grocery store running out of something yet again, and wasn't aware of the rice shortage.

I had forgotten to buy rice the previous time, so if there is a shortage I am innocent!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I wonder if this rice shortage was behind the complete lack of short/medium grain brown rice at my grocery store on Tuesday. I thought it was just my incompetent grocery store running out of something yet again, and wasn't aware of the rice shortage.

I had forgotten to buy rice the previous time, so if there is a shortage I am innocent!
NBC News - Rising rice prices spark concerns across Asia - Global supplies tumble, sparking protests, hurting aid agencies

Rising rice prices spark concerns - World business - MSNBC.com

It appears that there is a global shortage of rice and thus prices will continue to go up and there will be a need to ration it.

Not a pretty picture.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Won't this be fun? We're villians for paying the market price for energy because we shouldn't be using so much. But we're also villians for charging the market price for our crops because over-populated countries can't afford to pay and children will starve.

You have to give China credit for implementing population control measures. It ain't pretty. It ain't fun. But it will probably head off famine for them..........

I wonder if the countries villifying us and the other bread basket nations, are backing up their accusations with plans for population control? It's gotta happen sometime!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
NBC News - Rising rice prices spark concerns across Asia - Global supplies tumble, sparking protests, hurting aid agencies

Rising rice prices spark concerns - World business - MSNBC.com

It appears that there is a global shortage of rice and thus prices will continue to go up and there will be a need to ration it.

Not a pretty picture.

GOD BLESS US ALL
I blame it on George Bush..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #60

Reminds me of "The Great Toilet Paper Shortage".

Tags
cooking, cost of living