Join Early Retirement Today

Money can't buy happiness: An Example
Old 09-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Money can't buy happiness: An Example

I will never have all the money Ballmer has, but I will never have the stress either.

Court docs: Ballmer vowed to 'kill' Google
Published: September 2, 2005, 1:07 PM PDT
By Ina Fried
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer vowed to "kill" Google in an expletive-laced, chair-throwing tirade when a senior engineer told him he was leaving the company to go work for Google

...Mr. Ballmer picked up a chair and threw it across the room hitting a table in his office," Lucovosky recounted, adding that Ballmer then launched into a tirade about Google CEO Eric Schmidt. "I'm going to f***ing bury that guy, I have done it before, and I will do it again. I'm going to f***ing kill Google."

http://news.com.com/Court+docs+Ballm...3-5846243.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Money can't buy happiness: An Example
Old 09-09-2005, 02:36 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I think guys only get to those positions if they have that type of personality to start with. They're the type that will go nuts if they ever retire, since they can't be master of the universe anymore. Doesn't sound like us retire early types does it
runchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #3

Recently saw a book review on "The Sociopath Nextdoor" or something like that. This is a serious work by a qualified psychiatrist or psychologist, I forget which. Her thesis and data say that 4% of the American population are literally sociopaths, and that our culture is receptive to having these people in upper management positions. Seems like we have a good example mentioned above.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another good reason to keep your own counsel when seeking employment or when recruited.

When resigning a position it is not necessary to tell your to-be former employer what you intend to do with the rest of your life.* The resignee can simply tell friends that they are moving when cleaning out the desk.* Yes, folks will probe because everyone loves a secret but "family reasons, I will figure out what to do after I get there" is enough.* Unfortunately the resignee probably shared his plans with others and it became hot news at work.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #5

Eh, what do you expect from Monkey Boy?

See Monkey Boy dance!
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester

See Monkey Boy dance!
He's insanely intense.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:00 AM   #7

Well Lucovosky is/was important to MS. It would be like Rove quiting to become a Democrat. He knows MS from the inside and could possibly allow Google to bury MS.

But a good tech fight is probably good for all of us.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well Lucovosky is/was important to MS.
Evidently MS did not construct an employment agreement/working conditions sufficient to keep him in the fold.* IMHO key employees cannot be recruited away if they are happy where they are.

OTOH, Lucovosky may be going where he sees technology growing.* IS employees are often more committed to developing technology than to an employer.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:44 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester

See Monkey Boy dance!
I'd say he's due for a serious heart attack in less than 5 years. Hey Steve- time to chill, hit the gym, and cut out the doughnuts and "coke".
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:47 AM   #10

Microsoft raided talent from other companies for years. Now the worm has turned.

Kind of hard to feel sorry for them.

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Evidently MS did not construct an employment agreement/working conditions sufficient to keep him in the fold.* IMHO key employees cannot be recruited away if they are happy where they are.

OTOH, Lucovosky may be going where he sees technology growing.* IS employees are often more committed to developing technology than to an employer.
He is going where he can still get options. No more, no less.

Ha
Old 09-11-2005, 12:10 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
This is becoming more true for a lot (not all, and not 'most') of MSFT employees (I know since I have family/friends who work there). Basically MSFT is trying to 'grow up' as a company (larger profits margins, dividends, etc), so they are cutting expenses.... mostly at the expense of their corporate culture and employees.

Examples:
1. Cut back on medical
2. Eliminate stock options
3. Eliminated cans of soda (and juices) in favor of fountain soda (this was a big deal for some?)
4. Cut back on 'fun' activities- in the past, groups would go out and have a good time for a day, and sometimes would do things like rent seadoos.... teams STILL go out, but the money for seadoos and such is gone.

I know that many people are like 'boo hoo, I don't have any of that where I work', but then again, you don't work at microsoft. At Microsoft there is a strong pressure to 'work until the job is done', often through 60-70 hour weeks. You CAN work 40 hour weeks, but since your output is compared to those who work twice as much, you look kinda bad. So the perks that existed before were really a form of payment for MSFT owning your soul most of the waking day.... by losing the perks, but keeping the horrid work schedule, many are beginning to look around at what else is out there.... especially those employees who 'grew up' at MSFT, and now have a family and children of their own they want to spend time with.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
This is becoming more true for a lot (not all, and not 'most') of MSFT employees (I know since I have family/friends who work there). Basically MSFT is trying to 'grow up' as a company (larger profits margins, dividends, etc), so they are cutting expenses.... mostly at the expense of their corporate culture and employees.

Examples:
1. Cut back on medical
2. Eliminate stock options
3. Eliminated cans of soda (and juices) in favor of fountain soda (this was a big deal for some?)
4. Cut back on 'fun' activities- in the past, groups would go out and have a good time for a day, and sometimes would do things like rent seadoos.... teams STILL go out, but the money for seadoos and such is gone.

I know that many people are like 'boo hoo, I don't have any of that where I work', but then again, you don't work at microsoft. At Microsoft there is a strong pressure to 'work until the job is done', often through 60-70 hour weeks. You CAN work 40 hour weeks, but since your output is compared to those who work twice as much, you look kinda bad. So the perks that existed before were really a form of payment for MSFT owning your soul most of the waking day.... by losing the perks, but keeping the horrid work schedule, many are beginning to look around at what else is out there.... especially those employees who 'grew up' at MSFT, and now have a family and children of their own they want to spend time with.
All correct from what I have seen.

Ha