Join Early Retirement Today

Money is a misery
Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Money is a misery

or so I am told. The following article details someone who had mucho bucks and decided life was better without it and is in the process of giving it all away.

Austrian tycoon Karl Rabeder gives up fortune

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

He is not really that rich. He has more than me, but less than some on this board. And he is married! His wife went along with this?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #3

Well, h*ll then...give him MY address! I can be had!
Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised to read that he is married. I hope that goes well for him as he does seem to be a very nice man.

For many years, he said, he was not brave enough to give up his comforts. The tipping point came during a three-week holiday with his wife in Hawaii.
''It was the biggest shock in my life when I realised how horrible, soulless and without feeling the five-star lifestyle is.
''In those three weeks we spent all the money you could possibly spend. But in all that time we had the feeling we hadn't met a single real person - that we were all just actors. The staff played the role of being friendly and the guests played the role of being important, and nobody was real.''

Sounds about right to me. The affluent life does more or less suck. But in many places, it takes quite a bit of money to just feel safe that whatever modest lifestyle and comforts you have chosen for yourself can reasonably be expected to continue.

Ha
Old 02-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #5

Money is simply a tool, and its effects are determined by how it is wielded. If in the course of accumulating a lot of it one develops an obsession with continuing to accumulate more of it, yeah, I can see that becoming misery.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't desire wealth or money but I do desire enough of it to not have to work anymore!
Old 02-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #7

It's great to read that. He's a wise person with the courage to act on his wisdom, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The affluent life does more or less suck. But in many places, it takes quite a bit of money to just feel safe that whatever modest lifestyle and comforts you have chosen for yourself can reasonably be expected to continue.
Also true and very well said!
Old 02-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #8

To paraphrase the great philosopher Johnny Depp: "Money doesn't buy happiness.....but you can buy a boat that goes right up to its dock."
Old 02-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Well, h*ll then...give him MY address! I can be had!
Orchidflower, you are something. I can't believe that post! You go girl!!
Old 02-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I know many Europeans who think that money, beyond the point of providing a simple and comfortable lifestyle, IS misery. Yes, there is such a thing as having "too much" money on the old continent. People satisfy themselves with less for a variety of reasons, i.e. political (leftists), religious (Catholic's vow of poverty), societal (money invites jealousy) and cultural (carpe diem).
Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I know many Europeans who think that money, beyond the point of providing a simple and comfortable lifestyle, IS misery. Yes, there is such a thing as having "too much" money on the old continent. People satisfy themselves with less for a variety of reasons, i.e. political (leftists), religious (Catholic's vow of poverty), societal (money invites jealousy) and cultural (carpe diem).
Another reason is their superior safety nets. Anyway, I don't really buy this. It costs big coin to have a nice apt in the central part of London, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona. Euopeans do talk a good game though.

Ha
Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Soooo, per this article we know that at the $5.3 million level you are a "tycoon"...

You tycoons here... how does it feel

And another question... what is the smallest amount you can have to be part of the club? Or is it how you spend it? I mean, this guy was spending like he had more... so I would guess his income was pretty good to support his lifestyle...
Old 02-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

From a post by Alan, I learned that Europeans are conditioned to be content with the social safety net that they have. Hence, they do not need to save up and amass a large personal savings like we do in the US. Who is to say that we even have enough? There is a current thread on how medical insurance has been going up. Yes, ours has been going up steadily too.

I need a lot of money to feel safe. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #14

I think what he is doing is silly, but whatever works for him. I just hope he won't regret it later.

I don't think anybody here would ever have the same problem this guy has. I say this because I think most of the people here practice LBYM. And people here in general are sensible. - We know the value of money, but we don't go out spending tons trying to fill some emptiness inside ourselves.

This guy is just not happy. Not because he has money. I think this guy thought having tons of money would make him happy. And now he has tons, he has realized that it hasn't made him happy. And now, he thinks getting rid of money would make him happy.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Another reason is their superior safety nets. Anyway, I don't really buy this. It costs big coin to have a nice apt in the central part of London, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona. Euopeans do talk a good game though.

Ha
Yeah you're right. What do I know about Europe anyways.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #16

I think he's realized that money, despite its benefits, has a huge cost of ownership.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

This thread reminds me a lot of Eric Hoffer, fruit picker, longshoreman, and writer of many interesting books on society, the best known probably being The True Believer.

Fro Wikipedia-
"He postulated that fanaticism and self-righteousness are rooted in self-hatred, self-doubt, and insecurity. As he describes in The True Believer, he believed a passionate obsession with the outside world or with the private lives of other people is merely a craven attempt to compensate for a lack of meaning in one's own life."

Ha
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
From a post by Alan, I learned that Europeans are conditioned to be content with the social safety net that they have. Hence, they do not need to save up and amass a large personal savings like we do in the US. Who is to say that we even have enough? There is a current thread on how medical insurance has been going up. Yes, ours has been going up steadily too.
This may be true, but the problem is that they face many of the same ticking time bombs with unfunded liabilities and promised future benefits as we do. And I would submit that any cuts in unsustainable promises would hit those a lot harder who always just assumed the benefits would be there for them than it would hit people who were skeptical about it from a young age and decided they needed to be able to rely on themselves as a "fallback" position in case economics forced governments to renege on their promises.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Ha

Yeah, but my nice apt costs big coin here in NY too and I don't get security of health care coverage.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
gone traveling

Here's a peice that was on the news last evening, from an American family, and it wasen't driven by "misery":

Family Sells $1.5 Million Home For One That's Half the Price To Help Village in Ghana - ABC News