Join Early Retirement Today

More evidence FIRE is alien to the masses...
Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

More evidence FIRE is alien to the masses...

According to this more people are tapping their 401(k) for cash, mortgaging their future in order to keep up their lifestyle.

Some of the nation's largest retirement plan administrators, such as Great-West Retirement Services and Fidelity Investments, are seeing double-digit spikes in [401(k)] hardship withdrawals and increases in loan requests, a sharp departure from levels that traditionally varied little.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good. The more they work, the more they can contribute to my stocks gaining in value, the more they contribute into Social Security and the more it will pay to be a provider of capital rather than a consumer of it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

"I made the best decision I could," he said. "I keep hearing about bankrupting your future retirement. But I feel like it's far enough away that I'll be able to save up enough."

Wishful thinking.

Said Charlton: "We have to take care of ourselves now and put retirement on the back burner."

If they'd have taken care of themselves in the first place and not bought a house they couldn't afford or leased a $500/mo BMW they'd be able to put saving in the forefront.

Usually my first reaction to these stories is to feel sorry for these people, then I remember they did this to themselves. Nobody forced them to try to keep up with the Jonses. And seriously, why is 10k half of his retirement savings at age 40?? I just don't understand. Why do people want to work their entire lives??
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
And seriously, why is 10k half of his retirement savings at age 40?? I just don't understand. Why do people want to work their entire lives??

Well, maybe, just maybe, he started a new job 8 months ago and the other huge chunk of money is in his IRA and he was just misquoted in the article.

I'm really, really guessing not, though.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"I made the best decision I could," he said. "I keep hearing about bankrupting your future retirement. But I feel like it's far enough away that I'll be able to save up enough."

Wishful thinking.

Said Charlton: "We have to take care of ourselves now and put retirement on the back burner."

If they'd have taken care of themselves in the first place and not bought a house they couldn't afford or leased a $500/mo BMW they'd be able to put saving in the forefront.

Usually my first reaction to these stories is to feel sorry for these people, then I remember they did this to themselves. Nobody forced them to try to keep up with the Jonses. And seriously, why is 10k half of his retirement savings at age 40?? I just don't understand. Why do people want to work their entire lives??
unbelievable. i am astounded. what universe are these people living in?

my guess is they maxed out their credit cards, and now that cc companies are really enforcing collections and reposessing the goods, they have to pull on some reserve. i'll bet anything they already tapped out their home equity line of credit.

this and other foolish acts deserve an academy award...you NEVER touch your 401(k) for ANY reason unless it's life threatening or the street will be your next address since you lost your job a year ago.

reading stuff like this makes my eyes roll and teeth grind
Old 02-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The "work until your payroll taxes save both Medicare and Social Security and then you die" universe...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Good. The more they work, the more they can contribute to my stocks gaining in value, the more they contribute into Social Security and the more it will pay to be a provider of capital rather than a consumer of it.
Heck ya!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

my guess is they maxed out their credit cards, and now that cc companies are really enforcing collections and reposessing the goods, they have to pull on some reserve. i'll bet anything they already tapped out their home equity line of credit....
Why are you astounded? This IS the way most Americans live. My step kids were like this until we had "the chat" about money and debt. Now they are spending less and saving more...but...one still spends way too much trading cars every couple of years..but at least they are buying used and not brand new and eating ALL the first couple of years depreciation every time. I gave my "Pilars" and other books to one of my SILs and he is starting to "get it". We have some interesting talks now.

Still, bad habits are hard to break and spending what you don't have to get what you think you need (but don't) is very difficult for some folks. Many believe they are "entitled" to spending lavishly to make up for having a hard job. Retail Therapy. An affliction that infects both sexes and can kill a FIRE plan in short order. Heck, I could have been FI several years before I was had my DW not had this disease.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
gone traveling

He cut his retirement savings in half by taking out 10K?? He is 40?? 550 a month for a BMW? A lease no less, when that is up what ya gonna drive. Even if the lease was a two year he could have bought a scion XA for 13K and owned it after two years. I feel no sorrow for these people.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #10

Quote:

Wishful thinking.

I only feel sorry for them for lying to themselves.

I think many of these folks are a little like Ostriches - deep down in the back of their mind "they do know" - they've heard all the advice - but they choose to bury their heads in the sand because they don't want to sacrifice. Same thing with a lot of these "subprime" borrowers

I always tell my kid: "whatever you do in life, you can choose to lie to me, you can choose to lie to others, but never never never lie to yourself
Texarkandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #11

You can't fix stupid.

With people making decisions like that, they will keep some people employed to fix their stupidity, write about it, and make a lifetime movie about it.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
He cut his retirement savings in half by taking out 10K?? He is 40?? 550 a month for a BMW? A lease no less, when that is up what ya gonna drive. Even if the lease was a two year he could have bought a scion XA for 13K and owned it after two years. I feel no sorrow for these people.
Fact is, most 40 year olds don't want to be seen driving a scion...........

So a 40-year old guy has only $20K in his 401K? Sounds about normal these days........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #13

This guy needs to drive around in a clown car.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Its sad, really. But put yourself in their shoes: would you default on your credit card, or borrow from the 401k? Would you pull your kids out of school mid year, or borrow from the 401k?

We really, really need financial literacy education on a national basis.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
This guy needs to drive around in a clown car.
Hey, this is the second time clowns have been mentioned this month. It's freaking me out.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Its sad, really. But put yourself in their shoes: would you default on your credit card, or borrow from the 401k? Would you pull your kids out of school mid year, or borrow from the 401k?

We really, really need financial literacy education on a national basis.
I wouldn't be in his shoes unless a freak medical condition or lawsuit put me there. Seems to me the guy squandered his wage on "things" . Where was his emergency fund? You are right we need financial literacy in this country.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wouldn't be in his shoes unless a freak medical condition or lawsuit put me there. Seems to me the guy squandered his wage on "things" . Where was his emergency fund? You are right we need financial literacy in this country.

I don't disagree that his past choices were poor. But that was then and this is now.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, obviously he doesn't have an emergency fund, right?

Fact is, we don't know his full situation, and for judging him just because YOU made better choices is a little shallow..........

That may be why millions of people play the lottery, instead of spending their money on investing for the future or paying down debt..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Several years ago a work buddy cashed out of his 401k plan to the tune of 60k. Well over have of what he had saved. Next thing I know he had purchased a used sports car and new equipment for his band. Not worries what so ever.

He will be working from now on the way he waste money. His only salvation is his wife is an only child and will probably be left a chunk of change.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Well, obviously he doesn't have an emergency fund, right?

Fact is, we don't know his full situation, and for judging him just because YOU made better choices is a little shallow..........

That may be why millions of people play the lottery, instead of spending their money on investing for the future or paying down debt..........
Ok, Ill just go with what another person posted. You cant fix stupid. A thousand pardons.