Join Early Retirement Today

More fun playing with telemarketers
Old 07-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More fun playing with telemarketers

Now that I re- retired, I have more time to play with the cockroaches.

The first was a spam telemarketer text for artificial turf. I will get back to them on that.

Second telemarketer of the day, Solar time. took about 2 minutes get thru the automated questions, " Are you the homeowner" , how much is your electric bill" etc, then get connected with an actual human on the phone. Along the way, the person wanted to put me on hold a few times.

I told the telemarketer " I would love to keep talking about a solar salesman coming to the house, but I don't work for free, is that ok " Telemarketer said that is ok."

Then I ask for a credit card number to charge for my consulting services.

Funny, the line disconnected.

The caller ID number came back as a disconnected #

Maybe I was too pushy
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Lol
Lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:25 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We do not answer our phone unless we recognize the caller.

Simply cannot be bothered to speak with, or even hassle the telemarketers.

They are just trying to make a living....annoying as they may be.

If we do inadvertently answer a telemarketer call we hang before they he or she get to the third word. Don't want to waste our time or theirs.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:41 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post

I don't answer the phone at all unless I am expecting an important call. Anyone else who wants to speak with me can leave a message. Same with the front door.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:13 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Now that I re- retired, I have more time to play with the cockroaches.

The first was a spam telemarketer text for artificial turf. I will get back to them on that.

Second telemarketer of the day, Solar time. took about 2 minutes get thru the automated questions, " Are you the homeowner" , how much is your electric bill" etc, then get connected with an actual human on the phone. Along the way, the person wanted to put me on hold a few times.

I told the telemarketer " I would love to keep talking about a solar salesman coming to the house, but I don't work for free, is that ok " Telemarketer said that is ok."

Then I ask for a credit card number to charge for my consulting services.

Funny, the line disconnected.

The caller ID number came back as a disconnected #

Maybe I was too pushy
I love that comment.
I love to play with Fisher Investments's aggressive calls. I do have fun with them. Most others I just hang up on.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If we do inadvertently answer a telemarketer call we hang before they he or she get to the third word. Don't want to waste our time or theirs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
I don't answer the phone at all unless I am expecting an important call. Anyone else who wants to speak with me can leave a message. Same with the front door.

Rarely answer the phone if we don't recognize the caller ID. (Unless we're expecting a call) If I do get a telemarketer by accident, I'll hang up without saying a word. I don't allow them the option to leave a message. And no one has knocked on our door since we moved to the county over 10 years ago.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:54 AM   #7

I get mildly irritated with the telemarketers but there’s no mercy for those who come to my door. Quickly told in no uncertain terms to leave. Just a bit too much invasion of my space.

Have taken some time to mess with the “Microsoft” guy trying to help me with my computer. I kept telling him how greatful I was that he called because I was indeed having problems with my computer. But, I kept expressing to him how amazed I was that he knew something was wrong given that I didn’t have internet. He kept on with his BS for quite awhile before he finally accepted that I couldn’t give him access to my computer because I didn’t have internet. He even suggested that I go to the library.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #8

We only keep a landline for our security system, and because... hurricanes (cell goes out in one, often the landline is the only thing working for a few days after).

Once we RE'd we turned off the ringer on the home phone. Anyone that really needs us is calling our cells/text/email. We just check vmails once a day rq to delete and clear the light on the machine.

And I never answer my cell on an unknown number.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

"Have taken some time to mess with the “Microsoft” guy trying to help me with my computer. I kept telling him how greatful I was that he called because I was indeed having problems with my computer"

He told me he was calling about problems with my Microsoft computer. I pretended not to know what he was talking about, then he mentioned windows. I told him that it was about time that he called me back, and when were they coming out to measure my broken window. acting even more confused, I got even more irate at his answers, insisting that he come out to the house and fix it as I had been awaiting a return call for the last week. it took him about a minute of arguing before he loudly clarified that he was calling about my computer. I told him that I had none and he hung up. The language barrier made the call even more entertaining than it should have been.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:10 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I rely on being on the Do Not Call list. It doesn’t stop the calls but it assures me that anyone calling is a crook or a scam artist. Legitimate companies follow the Do Not Call list.
Like others here, I do not answer unless I recognize the caller. Some days we get as many as 10 of these scam calls including the ring once calls stopped by Nomorobo.

To the op, thanks for keeping these scam artists tied up for a few minutes. I just don’t have the patience to do that.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We are very rural with somewhat sketchy cell service so have a landline . Don't pay for caller Id, since my phone company wants to bundle it with a bunch of other unless options.

One morning I'm just waking up and hear my phone ring at 650AM. I run downstairs thinking it's important, we keep our cell phones in the front entry way and I'm thinking someone tried to call our cells and then went to the landline number.

I pick it up and its a sales call, from a guy saying he sells for a farm supply company. I ask do you know what time it is in this area code. He says I don't care what time it is because I know farmers get up early. I reply I don't get up this early and I don't buy farm supplies over the phone so don't call me again.

Before I could hang up he said I'm going to remember you don't like getting up early. Next day same thing except at 630 and then a hang up. My hubby answered that one. We turned off the ringer on the phone for about a week..but what a knob.

Stuff like this reinforces my determination to speak nicely when out in public and not get annoyed at others when I'm driving, because you never know...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I saw a story a few days ago about a new app called "RoboKiller". Basically, you pay for an application, but it will call back a scammer and play some annoying song/verse/something. Sounds all good, except for the new and improved scammers that are now using "neighborhood number spoofing"...basically, they will select a random number that will have the same area code and prefix as your number. I assume this is used so more people will answer thinking that it's a local call. I have gotten a couple of calls from people irritate about a scammer calling (from MY number) so I know my last four digits have been "randomly" selected by scammers. So now, if someone gets a call from "my number" and they use that application, well...I wouldn't appreciate it.

Like so many other things in life, the scammers are two steps ahead of the technology that stops them. The *only* reliable way I have stopped the calls is by enabling a call blocker that will only allow people in MY CONTACTS to ring through. I had it turned off for a while since I was dealing with a situation that necessitated a lot of phone calls and this resulted in a lot of phone calls that weren't welcome and it was a good reminder of how many scammers are out there.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The phone number spoofing has been the biggest upgrade in the war against these scammers and robocallers, and the toughest one to counteract with the usual call-blocking tools.

I have nomorobo on my landline but it has been far less effective in blocking calls since I added it 18 months ago. It used to block about 75-80% of the garbage callers but now it's down to about 50%. The scammers keep changing numbers and use neighbor spoofing to stay one step ahead of the call blockers. Take all those "Ann from Health Care Alert" scammers calling a lot in the last few months. They call a few times, I (and others, presumably) report it to nomorobo. Two days later, I get the same call from a different number for a few days. Rinse and repeat.

My cell phone has its own problems. I have given the number to maybe 10 people, yet I get calls all the time on it, rarely going more than a day or two without one. Many of the calls are neighbor spoofing, with the calling number matching my area code and first 3 digits (even though I know nobody whose phone number matches it). Then I get some calls for the former owner of my cell phone number, even 3 1/2 years later!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I agree. I don't like such calls and usually avoid them by not answering calls from unknown numbers. But I also understand these people are trying to make a living so I just hang up on them. Sometimes if I even say "no thanks" first.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
They call a few times, I (and others, presumably) report it to nomorobo. Two days later, I get the same call from a different number for a few days. Rinse and repeat.

And you have illustrated yet ANOTHER issue with the neighbor spoofing. My number has been used at least a couple times as a "spoof" number...so I have to assume that perhaps someone has gotten a call from "my number" and they reported it to their Spam-avoidance-provider (like nomorobo)...so now if I try and call someone, will I be blocked because it's been flagged as a spam number? Oye...it just keeps getting worse.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
And you have illustrated yet ANOTHER issue with the neighbor spoofing. My number has been used at least a couple times as a "spoof" number...so I have to assume that perhaps someone has gotten a call from "my number" and they reported it to their Spam-avoidance-provider (like nomorobo)...so now if I try and call someone, will I be blocked because it's been flagged as a spam number? Oye...it just keeps getting worse.
I recently had the same problem. I got a voicemail from someone asking why I called him. I went through the "neighborhood spoofing" explanation and told him I did not call him. I also said I was sorry that he got the call.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I had one from Coast Medical wanting to sell an air filtration system. No thanks. I like the air as is!
Old 07-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I recently had the same problem. I got a voicemail from someone asking why I called him. I went through the "neighborhood spoofing" explanation and told him I did not call him. I also said I was sorry that he got the call.
And to reverse it, I have called a number back (didn't leave a message and thought it was someone I had been trying to get a hold of) and they swore up and down that they didn't call me.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

+1, unless I am expecting a call from someone not in my contacts, I don't answer my phone. If it's anything important, the caller will leave a vmail, and I'll call them if I am interested. It's reached the point that I get 1-2 spam calls a day now.

It's gotten easy to recognize phone scammers by their number (same first six digits as mine in phone number), so I answered one a few days ago just to tell the caller what a scumbag he was for making a living trying to scam people. He threatened me (obviously bogus), then quickly hung up.

And I only watched once, but there are some funny YouTube videos of attorneys and consumer watchdog professionals recording scammers, while playing along, acting naive/obtuse and twisting the scammers in knots.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Using a list of accepted callers are the way to go. Rest gets screened.