Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

More money than brains - literally
Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

More money than brains - literally

Students arrested in SAT cheating scheme

Seven Long Island high school students allegedly paid up to $2,500 to have a college student impersonate them and take the college entrance exam.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Students arrested in SAT cheating scheme

Seven Long Island high school students Wealthy parents allegedly paid up to $2,500 to have a college student impersonate them and take the college entrance exam.
Fixed.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The college student didn't even do all that well for that $2500, either. 2120 out of 2400? Pul-eeze.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

C grades with an SAT score of a genius... Temporary Genius through rent-a-brain!

Quote:
Scores didn't match up with GPAs
High school faculty had become suspicious when they heard rumors of students paying a third party to take the SAT for them early this year, prosecutors said. They managed to nail down the six suspected high schoolers by comparing past academic performance to SAT scores of students who had taken the test at a different school.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Interesting how they catch this stuff. It reminded me of a chapter in Freakonomics when the authors describe how they caught teachers cheating for their students in standardized tests:

Quote:
We develop an algorithm for detecting teacher cheating that combines information on
unexpected test score fluctuations and suspicious patterns of answers for students in a classroom.
Using data from the Chicago Public Schools, we estimate that serious cases of teacher or
administrator cheating on standardized tests occur in a minimum of 4-5 percent of elementary
school classrooms annually. The observed frequency of cheating appears to respond strongly to
relatively minor changes in incentives. Our results highlight the fact that high-powered incentive
systems, especially those with bright line rules, may induce unexpected behavioral distortions
such as cheating. Statistical analysis, however, may provide a means of detecting illicit acts,
despite the best attempts of perpetrators to keep them clandestine.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote