More on America's favorite pilot.

I don't know the case law on that subject. And odds are the law of a comparative negligence state would apply in this case whereby the damages would be allocated based on fault. What percent is the airline or plane/engine mfrs at fault for allowing the engines to fail and what percent is the owner of the laptop at fault for failing to back up his own data?

What if he was coming back from a two week business trip with two 100 hr weeks worth of effort saved on his laptop valued at $500/hr? And he hasn't had a chance to backup due to being out of town.

Hypothetically speaking, there could be damages in excess of $5000 here. PTSD, future irrational fear of flying, flying anxiety, etc. If someone involved with keeping the plane in the air was negligent, I wouldn't want to bar someone with damages from recovering just because the pilot was highly skilled and all the passengers were safe and relatively physically unharmed.

Although the lawsuits may just be fishing expeditions at this point hoping to find something fishy during discovery.

It has already been determined that both engines were damaged by birds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they should be happy they're alive. Many others aren't. If they have to walk in the future (due to mental problems) so be it.

....It has already been determined that both engines were damaged by birds......
I'm pretty sure there's a rule on this board about personal slurs. ;) Please clean up your act.
Johnnie, you wouldn't be the first to have been sucked in by Fuego's finely tuned sense of sarcasm.

Fuego isn't as you characterize him, and I think you can stand to lighten up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnnie36 if you look at the exchange between myself and Fuego, the jests should be evident.

I see we have a bunch of pilots and lawyers on this thread working :) (or working on this thread?)

I guess I'm wondering who is representing the birds?:LOL: Barring that, I wonder if there is some technical violation of either animal cruelty laws or protected species law?:whistle:

I guess I'm wondering who is representing the birds?:LOL: Barring that, I wonder if there is some technical violation of either animal cruelty laws or protected species law?:whistle:
Cue the turkey cannons...

You can't honestly believe that people WEREN'T going to sue.......It's the American way of life. If I was on that plane I'd still be kissing that pilot's A$$ for saving my life! :)

Mike
Perhaps a play of the simulation clip at this site would be in order for the people thinking about suing.
New York plane crash: Flight 1549 almost hit George Washington Bridge - Telegraph

I would be kissing something for the rest of my life.
I know that area of the lower Hudson River very well. Passengers probably could not see the narrowness of the river between NY and NJ, the huge George Washington Bridge laden with 2 levels of late afternoon traffic, the challenge of avoiding the usual shipping traffic on the river including any oil tankers or barges headed upriver, the curve of the river...but the cockpit crew could. This pilot was amazing to pull this off, without the fuselage being ripped apart or the jet tumbling on impact.

This pilot was amazing to pull this off, without the fuselage being ripped apart or the jet tumbling on impact.

In addition to the crew's skill and execution, aren't Americans also celebrating the amazing good luck involved in how so many variables all came together in a positive fashion leading to the happy results?

In addition to the crew's skill and execution, aren't Americans also celebrating the amazing good luck involved in how so many variables all came together in a positive fashion leading to the happy results?

I don't think so. Most people know that the crews are trained for water landings, planes are built for them - this model had equipment that sealed outer openings.

What we don't know we might call luck, but once we understand it; it becomes training/planning/science etc.

"Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36
I'd swear to God that you are an attorney (or retired)."

I'm pretty sure there's a rule on this board about personal slurs. ;) Please clean up your act.

Now I'm wishing I could at least see the original slurs. If "attorney" or "retired" were the only insults I received from Johnnie36 then I guess I wasn't trying hard enough. ;)

Though I am unfortunately neither of those terms at this point. But I may be one or both of those at some point in the future. Only time will tell.

Perhaps a play of the simulation clip at this site would be in order for the people thinking about suing.
New York plane crash: Flight 1549 almost hit George Washington Bridge - Telegraph

Wow, cool sim, thanks. I'm not sure clearing the bridge by 900 ft
really qualifies as "almost hitting it" under such low-level flight
conditions though; after all, aircraft executing normal landings
routinely clear obstacles by far less vertical distance than this.

I would be kissing something for the rest of my life.
I know that area of the lower Hudson River very well. Passengers probably could not see the narrowness of the river between NY and NJ, the huge George Washington Bridge laden with 2 levels of late afternoon traffic, the challenge of avoiding the usual shipping traffic on the river including any oil tankers or barges headed upriver, the curve of the river...but the cockpit crew could. This pilot was amazing to pull this off, without the fuselage being ripped apart or the jet tumbling on impact.

Agreed, but I wonder about the lack of attention the right-seater is
getting. Account from a passenger: ... praising the unsung work of Jeff Skiles, the co-pilot.
"He had done the take-off, and then [after the loss of power] was trying to restart engines.
After they were not restarted, he set the flap positions and everything else you do to ditch the plane."

However, Sullenberger will be on 60 Minutes on Sunday, and I have
even more respect for him after hearing that the co-pilot and cabin
crew will be included in the interview (it wouldn't surprise me if he
had to insist on that with CBS ...)

Back
Top Bottom