More on the Tesla electric car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you can now drive a Tesla across the country using Tesla's super charger stations. But, you will have to go out of the way for a year or two more.

You Can Now Drive A Tesla Model S Cross-Country — If You Don’t Mind An 800-Mile Detour – Consumerist

You might, since I am right on the route, I don't expect to.
Of course, many others can take the routes now available, or wait a few months and more will be available.
And, in a year even more, and in another year almost any route in the continental US.

Of course, many others can take the routes now available, or wait a few months and more will be available.
And, in a year even more, and in another year almost any route in the continental US.

I am curious how often you use the superchargers. You are in MN right?

Is the lure of free electricity (and the chance to hobnob with other cool Tesla owners) that you'll drive to one to recharge rather than just charge at home?

Given the number of non super charger stations I have seen at local department stores, malls, etc, I imagine that one can stray from the supercharger routes at times.

I am curious how often you use the superchargers. You are in MN right?

Is the lure of free electricity (and the chance to hobnob with other cool Tesla owners) that you'll drive to one to recharge rather than just charge at home?

Yes, Minneapolis. The nearest SC to me is 110 miles away, I have used it once.
Even if one is close though, I doubt I would use it often. Electricity at home is cheap (5.7 cents/kWh off peak) and more convenient.

I get plenty of Tesla time with other owners at our monthly gathering, car shows, EV club meetings and other shows and events.

Although, when Elon makes his cross country trip I plan to be at one of the superchargers cheering him on (and maybe get my car signed;)

Yes, Minneapolis. The nearest SC to me is 110 miles away, I have used it once.
Even if one is close though, I doubt I would use it often. Electricity at home is cheap (5.7 cents/kWh off peak) and more convenient.

I get plenty of Tesla time with other owners at our monthly gathering, car shows, EV club meetings and other shows and events.

Although, when Elon makes his cross country trip I plan to be at one of the superchargers cheering him on (and maybe get my car signed;)

$05.7/kWH geez I spent $80 for my 218 kWH last month $.37 each. I don't drive the car that much haven't quite put on 5,000 miles after 7+ months. I am very glad I got solar I wish I had made the system larger.

That will be cool to meet Elon..

I checked on the Tesla forum and there does appear a pretty active Hawaii group. I'll have to attend a meeting soon.

I checked on the Tesla forum and there does appear a pretty active Hawaii group. I'll have to attend a meeting soon.

Definitely, I am sure they would enjoy another Tesla owner. I know we always have a lot of fun.

Giga Battery Factory

Well nobody ever accuse of Elon of thinking small.
The plans for the $3 billion gigabattery are to be able produce enough batteries for 500K vehicles/year.

It is appears to be a highly vertically integrated plant. Electricity from the desert sun, Lithium from a nearby mine, and steel from various suppliers and the output is battery packs.

I have to see if I can find more information on those convertible notes.

Oh Oh! It seems that in last Sunday's 60 Minutes story on Elon Musk somebody thought that adding the sound of a sports car engine growling as the gears shifted would make the Tesla footage more interesting. Apparently he didn't know that the Tesla has a very quiet electric motor and NO gearbox.

Score another point for the no-nothing news media.

I have a question for the engineers in the group.

Speculation is that with the Tesla 'D' , the D stands for distance.

I have no idea if the speculation is right or wrong.

What I am wondering is if the battery pack can be tweaked to increase driving range at, maybe, the expense of acceleration. Just a thought since some people might rather have another 50 miles of driving range in place of a second or two added to the 0-60 time.

It already exists in software. Between the driver's ears and the hardware connection to the right foot.

What I am wondering is if the battery pack can be tweaked to increase driving range at, maybe, the expense of acceleration. Just a thought since some people might rather have another 50 miles of driving range in place of a second or two added to the 0-60 time.

It's a reasonable thing to think about it, but I doubt it. From what I know, there are two ways they could trade off some of the acceleration for extended range:

1) A different battery chemistry - basically, when they designed it for 200 plus mile range, the batteries required for that range provide plenty of acceleration. Range is the limiting factor.

from wiki:

The 85 kW·h Signature's ... accelerates from 0 to 60 miles per hour (0 to 97 km/h) in 5.4 seconds. ...

the 60 kW·h base model' ... reaches 60 mph in 5.9 seconds

The 60 kW·h battery was rated to deliver 230 miles (370 km), ...
an 85 kW·h battery was rated at 320 miles

So very little difference in 0-60 times (13.5% delta), while the range is ~ 30% less. And for all we know, they limited the 0-60 for marketing purposes (less battery weight would help improve acceleration), to better differentiate and 'justify' the higher cost for 85 kWh batteries.

2) Use more of the batteries charge range (charge it a bit fuller, discharge it a bit more) - this would increase range, but hurt battery life longevity. But if they reduced the peak power it would deliver with the controller, that would help offset some of the loss of life.

-ERD50

Looks like they did a little bit of both.
0 to 60 time is 3.2 seconds, for the very top end model.
Range went from 265 miles to 275 miles!

You got to love those electric motors :)

You can't trade acceleration in for more distance at the battery level. Only thing you can do is accelerate less yourself and drive slower in general, that'll give you more mileage.

The reason why electric cars accelerate as fast as they do is that they get maximum power "instantly". This is in contrast with an internal combustion engine that has maximum power at a certain rpm.

So for more distance you need better (more energy-dense) batteries or larger batteries. Of course also at lower prices ..

You can't trade acceleration in for more distance at the battery level. Only thing you can do is accelerate less yourself and drive slower in general, that'll give you more mileage.

Musk just did:)
Although until the EPA numbers are out we won't have a definitive answer.
A better example is the S85 rather than the P85.

The 85D has a range of 295 at a constant 65 mph. The RWD 85 has a range of 261 at a constant 65 mph.
Same battery, two motors, and most likely smaller motors. More range AND more acceleration.

A buddy's wife just got one. Given the cost of electricity in our area, he calculated that their Tesla is getting the equivalent of 38 miles per gallon. So far they really like their Tesla.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

You can't trade acceleration in for more distance at the battery level. ...
Musk just did:) ...

Looks like they did a little bit of both.
0 to 60 time is 3.2 seconds, for the very top end model.
Range went from 265 miles to 275 miles!

No, I don't think so. I don't think these improvements came from trading acceleration for more distance at the battery level.

Four-wheel drive could allow better 0-60 times, assuming this was somewhat limited by wheel slip ( a pretty safe assumption at 'bat-outa-hell' acceleration ranges).

Not sure where the ~4% range improvement comes from. Two smaller motors might be marginally more efficient (I kinda doubt this would be much), or does driving 4 wheels add some small mechanical efficiency over two? Or maybe their new motors and controllers are just tweaked a little to squeeze a bit more out of them?

Plus, if their data on battery degradation is telling them their estimates were conservative, maybe they just decided to widen the charge-discharge points a tiny amount? Trading range for battery lifetime.

-ERD50

A buddy's wife just got one. Given the cost of electricity in our area, he calculated that their Tesla is getting the equivalent of 38 miles per gallon. So far they really like their Tesla.

Ouch!
Based on cost, I am getting around 135mpg. We are moving within a year and that will change to about 270mpg.

If they haven't already, I would suggest to your friend to check to see if their utility has an off peak or time of use billing rate.

Although 38mpg isn't bad I suppose. Much better than average.

No, I don't think so. I don't think these improvements came from trading acceleration for more distance at the battery level.

Four-wheel drive could allow better 0-60 times, assuming this was somewhat limited by wheel slip ( a pretty safe assumption at 'bat-outa-hell' acceleration ranges).

Not sure where the ~4% range improvement comes from. Two smaller motors might be marginally more efficient (I kinda doubt this would be much), or does driving 4 wheels add some small mechanical efficiency over two? Or maybe their new motors and controllers are just tweaked a little to squeeze a bit more out of them?

Plus, if their data on battery degradation is telling them their estimates were conservative, maybe they just decided to widen the charge-discharge points a tiny amount? Trading range for battery lifetime.

-ERD50

I stand corrected, that trade off can't be made at the battery level, just at the vehicle level.
Prior to this, I don't believe anyone has managed to increase both efficiency and performance in a vehicle.

One of the motors in the Performance model is a smaller motor and each is geared differently.
Because the electric motor is relatively small, the added weight is overcome by the efficiency.

The possibilities with EVs are much much greater than most people appreciate.
Here is a family sedan that has the performance of a McLaren supercar for a fraction of the cost (although still a ton of money).

Personally I am more enthused about the much larger range gain of the standard 85kWh AWD model available in February.

Ouch!

Based on cost, I am getting around 135mpg. We are moving within a year and that will change to about 270mpg.

If they haven't already, I would suggest to your friend to check to see if their utility has an off peak or time of use billing rate.

Thanks for the info! I'll relay your message to him. I talked to him the day after they picked up the car, so the 38 mpg calculation was from their first charge, and probably not off-peak.

Ouch!

Agreed, a 38 mpg 'fuel' cost equivalency doesn't sound right. Zathras, for clarity, could you break out your cost #'s? Your miles per kWh, your kWh cost, and gasoline $/G figure.

Related to that, what kind of phantom/vampire costs are you seeing now, after the software updates? Do you have a total power in for the car (IOW, is that charger socket metered separately, so you know the total kWh that were 'fed' to the car, not just what the car draws from the battery)?

Prior to this, I don't believe anyone has managed to increase both efficiency and performance in a vehicle. ...

:confused: I think your fascination with EVs and Musk is clouding your thinking. There's a long list of developments that do exactly that. Of course, any efficiency improvement can be weighted by the engineer - do we use this efficiency to improve mpg, total power available, or some of both?

Turbocharging, over-head valves, multi-stage carburetors, fuel injection, direct fuel injection, electronic ignition, multiple valves per cylinder, variable valve timing, variable displacement (shutting down some cylinders when not needed for acceleration), electronic engine controls, multi-weight oils, synthetic oils, .... to name a few.

One of the motors in the Performance model is a smaller motor and each is geared differently.
Because the electric motor is relatively small, the added weight is overcome by the efficiency.

Have you found any good technical links on this, I'd be interested to read more detail? I'm curious as to why the 2nd motor would be smaller and geared differently - I would think ~ 50/50 would be the best?

And generally, two smaller units would have poorer power/weight ratio than one large one - economy of scale almost always wins. So I'm curious about that as well.

The possibilities with EVs are much much greater than most people appreciate.

I think it is just the opposite. I think many people (most? I don't know) think that EVs will develop along the lines of computers, but that is not the case. As we've discussed, motors and batteries are already ~ 90% efficient - there just isn't much meaningful improvement available there. Yes, they can be made smaller, lighter and cheaper - but they have a long way to go to reach an ICE or ICE/hybrid value for a more median buyer. ICE/Hybrid technology is not standing still either.

Here is a family sedan that has the performance of a McLaren supercar for a fraction of the cost (although still a ton of money).

Yes, but the catch is 'still a ton of money' - and to get back to Chuckanut's question, you need that much battery capacity to get the range. If Tesla were to scale down the performance to more typical family sedan levels, they could save some $ with smaller motors and drive train, lower performance suspension and tires - but you would still need most of that battery pack to get that range, and therefore still a very $$$ vehicle.

But yes, compared to other performance vehicles, it's a pretty wild ride.

-ERD50

Last edited:
FWIW, I notice that the Tesla website claims "No Tailpipe Emissions". I'm glad they don't claim the car has zero emissions like another brand does.

On the subject of the cost of electric fuel for the car, please remember that so far electric car owners do not pay the equivalent of a gasoline tax. That day is coming for certain. I see no reason that gasoline engine owners should subsidize the road for electric car owners - most of whom probably have above average incomes at this time.

That said, I admire the work of Mr. Musk and his crew in bringing electric vehicles to this level. They are doing some very interesting work to say the least. Finally, I would love to have a Tesla, any Tesla, parked in my garage. :dance:

Last edited:
Was able to answer a few of my questions - this makes more sense to me now:

Tesla Model S P85D - Dual Motors, AWD, 691 hp, 3.2 seconds to 60 - Road & Track

All three new models—the 60D, 85D, and P85D—use the same 188-hp front motor. The 60D and 85D use it on the rear axle as well. The supercar-grade P85D, however, keeps the existing 470-hp motor in back for a monstrous 691-hp / 687 lb-ft combo.

OK, so the 60D and 85D use two smaller, but equal sized motors. The 'no holds-barred' P(erformance)85D goes with the new, smaller motor in front, and the old larger one in back for max HP.

bold mine:
Both the 60D and 85D shave two tenths off their acceleration and quarter-mile times and add 10 miles of range, the latter thanks to the additional regen capacity from the second motor.

Ahhh-hah! I never really thought of that, but most braking comes from the front wheels, and with a rear motor, they can't fully take advantage of regen. The second motor does that for them. Mystery solved!

-ERD50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom