Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tesla comments on automobile fires, gasoline and electric:

The Mission of Tesla | Blog | Tesla Motors

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #342
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Tesla comments on automobile fires, gasoline and electric:

The Mission of Tesla | Blog | Tesla Motors
As an engineer I love the response. But of course perception is reality and dramatic youtube fires of burning Tesla are way more important than reams of statistics.

It isn't really obvious from reading the blog post, but Elon actually took steps to do as ERD suggested and give more clearance to minimize running over debris.

Air suspension is a very popular option on the Tesla (one of the very few options I got in my bare bones Tesla.). It has 4 setting Very High to Very Low, the car automatically lowers the setting as certain speed (about 60 MPH to drop from low to very low.).

The newest software patch, delivered this weekend, disables the very low setting thus providing more clearance. The disadvantage is a higher clearance, means more drag equal less range.

They will bring back the option in Jan to go back to very low, but if the user is concerned about hitting road debris he can turn off the very low clearance setting. This also gives TESLA a few months for the NTSB to do its work and to hopefully make a few months with no bad PR fires.

The also extended the warranty to cover battery fires.

The lose in range doesn't bother me because this same software patch added some very nice navigation features to the map, and a few more bells and whistles. But most importantly it got the Vampire loss (the energy loss while the car is not being driven from 8-10 miles of range to 3-4. This should save me about $20/month on my electricity bills.)

I have had the car for 5 months and it is a significantly better vehicle now than when I bought it. To me that is one of the coolest things about the car. What other car company can address safety issues by pushing out a software patch?

Old 11-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #343
Give me a forum ...

My understanding is that in the latest fire the car gave the driver about 5 minutes of warning before it actually caught fire.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #344
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What happens if you're in a wreck where the occupants are unconscious or unable to get out of the car within 5 minutes?

Jaws of life and all that.

Are gas tanks in cars likely to catch on fire or explode as they show in the movies? Or as likely as this Tesla?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
What happens if you're in a wreck where the occupants are unconscious or unable to get out of the car within 5 minutes?

Jaws of life and all that.

Are gas tanks in cars likely to catch on fire or explode as they show in the movies? Or as likely as this Tesla?
Then we can only pray the emergency responders get there in time, just as with any other accident in which the victim can't get away under their own power.

Gas tank explosions are pretty rare actually. But car fires in general are not.

Here is an example I got from a Google search, Car fire captured on video - YouTube. There are lots more if you like.
I personally would rather have a car warn me minutes before a fire than have my first warning being smoke and/or fire.

As for injuries and deaths, in the 2006-2010 timeframe there were about 480 deaths and 1500 injuries due to vehicle fires. Vehicle fire trends and patterns

Please note, this includes more than just cars. I believe it includes motorcycles, trucks, and other highway vehicles.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #346
Give me a forum ...

Here is a comment from the guy whose Tesla caught fire. Read it and judge for yourself. From a Model S owner in Tennessee | Blog | Tesla Motors
Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #347

The owner claims in the blog that the car warned him that it was damaged.

The car did no such thing. The warnings he got, as he noted are:
"About 30-45 seconds later, there was a warning on the dashboard display saying, "Car needs service. Car may not restart."
and

" "Please pull over safely. Car is shutting down." "

He suspected that the car was damaged based on bump that he thinks slightly lifted the car.

Though it is impressive that the driver's compartment was not damaged.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #348
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting discussion with Elon Musk about innovation, Tesla and technology. It starts about 48 minutes into the video.

Video: Elon Musk Makes Big Entrance At “Dell World,” Says Model S Production Now Up To 600 Per Week
Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #349
Give me a forum ...

Looks like you can now drive a Tesla across the country using Tesla's super charger stations. But, you will have to go out of the way for a year or two more.

You Can Now Drive A Tesla Model S Cross-Country β€” If You Don’t Mind An 800-Mile Detour – Consumerist
Old 01-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #350
Give me a forum ...

Elon is still planning a cross country trip using the Superchargers with his 5 boys sometime in the spring. I will be interesting to see what route he uses.

I have to say they are adding Supercharges and pretty rapid clip several a week.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:20 PM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Looks like you can now drive a Tesla across the country using Tesla's super charger stations. But, you will have to go out of the way for a year or two more.

You Can Now Drive A Tesla Model S Cross-Country β€” If You Don’t Mind An 800-Mile Detour – Consumerist
You might, since I am right on the route, I don't expect to.
Of course, many others can take the routes now available, or wait a few months and more will be available.
And, in a year even more, and in another year almost any route in the continental US.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #352
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Of course, many others can take the routes now available, or wait a few months and more will be available.
And, in a year even more, and in another year almost any route in the continental US.
I am curious how often you use the superchargers. You are in MN right?

Is the lure of free electricity (and the chance to hobnob with other cool Tesla owners) that you'll drive to one to recharge rather than just charge at home?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #353
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Given the number of non super charger stations I have seen at local department stores, malls, etc, I imagine that one can stray from the supercharger routes at times.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am curious how often you use the superchargers. You are in MN right?

Is the lure of free electricity (and the chance to hobnob with other cool Tesla owners) that you'll drive to one to recharge rather than just charge at home?
Yes, Minneapolis. The nearest SC to me is 110 miles away, I have used it once.
Even if one is close though, I doubt I would use it often. Electricity at home is cheap (5.7 cents/kWh off peak) and more convenient.

I get plenty of Tesla time with other owners at our monthly gathering, car shows, EV club meetings and other shows and events.

Although, when Elon makes his cross country trip I plan to be at one of the superchargers cheering him on (and maybe get my car signed
Old 01-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, Minneapolis. The nearest SC to me is 110 miles away, I have used it once.
Even if one is close though, I doubt I would use it often. Electricity at home is cheap (5.7 cents/kWh off peak) and more convenient.

I get plenty of Tesla time with other owners at our monthly gathering, car shows, EV club meetings and other shows and events.

Although, when Elon makes his cross country trip I plan to be at one of the superchargers cheering him on (and maybe get my car signed
$05.7/kWH geez I spent $80 for my 218 kWH last month $.37 each. I don't drive the car that much haven't quite put on 5,000 miles after 7+ months. I am very glad I got solar I wish I had made the system larger.

That will be cool to meet Elon..

I checked on the Tesla forum and there does appear a pretty active Hawaii group. I'll have to attend a meeting soon.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:15 AM   #356
Give me a forum ...

I have to admit I love watching the Tesla often beat and always hold it is own against the top sports cars in drag racing.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I checked on the Tesla forum and there does appear a pretty active Hawaii group. I'll have to attend a meeting soon.
Definitely, I am sure they would enjoy another Tesla owner. I know we always have a lot of fun.
Giga Battery Factory
Old 02-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #358
Give me a forum ...

Giga Battery Factory

Well nobody ever accuse of Elon of thinking small.
The plans for the $3 billion gigabattery are to be able produce enough batteries for 500K vehicles/year.

It is appears to be a highly vertically integrated plant. Electricity from the desert sun, Lithium from a nearby mine, and steel from various suppliers and the output is battery packs.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #359

I have to see if I can find more information on those convertible notes.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #360
Give me a forum ...

Oh Oh! It seems that in last Sunday's 60 Minutes story on Elon Musk somebody thought that adding the sound of a sports car engine growling as the gears shifted would make the Tesla footage more interesting. Apparently he didn't know that the Tesla has a very quiet electric motor and NO gearbox.

Score another point for the no-nothing news media.