More things not to skimp on

Note the number of cloudy/partly cloudy (PC) days and annual precipitation in all forms. See why I'm always dreaming of traipsing off to FL? :cool:
FL? No offense meant to some forum members here, but the humidity would kill me. :p :dead:

I'll stick with the "dry cool" of the high AZ mountain. :dance: I do not even have to scare anybody with tales of chiggers, rattlesnakes, and fire ants. Let me just say that a visit to Trader Joe's would be a day trip. Home Depot or Walmart? Call it half a day. Same to get grocery. There's also little private land left, although the Forest Service allows dispersed camping. However, be prepared to drive 20 mi to get water.

Everyone is welcome to the "dry heat" of metropolitan Phoenix, of course. :D

And bed sheets. Too much time spent between the sheets to save a couple of bucks.

Thanks for the mayo recipe, Gumby. I just made it and it turned out perfectly. I left out the cayenne pepper, I used lemon juice from a bottle, I used 1/8 tsp of salt, and no pepper. It's fun to watch it transform from oil egg yolks into mayonnaise.

I'm happy it worked for you. You don't really need the cayenne. We have just found it gives the mayo a certain subtle taste that we enjoy, although if you blind tasted it you would never guess that it was cayenne. The great thing about knowing how to make mayo is that you can experiment to find out precisely how you like it. (Trust me on the no olive oil substitution though. At first glance, it seems like a good idea, but we've never been able to make it work)

Now you just need to rustle up a nice juicy heirloom tomato, some nitrite free bacon and homemade sourdough bread and you're ready for a nice BLT (My mouth is watering already). They are on the dinner menu regularly during August at the Villa Gumbiana (along with local corn).

Hunh. I've almost always appreciated seeing skimpy shoes & underwear on the right bodies...

And interestingly, the less one skimps on the purchase of shoes and undergarments, the skimpier those items are :)

Then, why not stick with the LBYM theme of this forum and go "au naturel"? :angel:

OK. So, Adam and Eve were able to use just fig leaves. Can't even say that they were LBYM'ers, as they really had no means.

Pots, pans, knives. Get the best you can afford; they'll last you a lifetime.

Forumites here could use dryer sheets instead of fig leaves :)

I think the mods should have an LBYM award for your innovation :clap:.

Oh La La! Semi-transparent dryer sheets too? :whistle:

The best quality thing can be tricky. El cheapo socks cost about a dollar a pair and last less than a year. SmartWool socks feel twice as nice, cost $14 a pair and last about two years.

T-Al, have you tried out the REI brand wool socks? They feel as good as SmartWool but I'm not a wool sock aficionado. You can get them for $7 when they are on sale.

I live in north Florida and will not skimp on the a/c. I keep the house 75* . I had tried the 78* "save electricity temp" but never could get comfortable. I can save money on a lot of other things but not that :)

I love home made mayo; there's nothing like it. Don't make it often because we don't use it too much.

I spend money on good winter shoes and boots; for summer its just flip flops for me. When we go out to dinner, its usually upscale; don't care for chain restaurants. Some mom and pop places are OK but usually too greasy.

I'm pretty cheap, but............

Cheap grated parmesan cheese is just gross.

Cheap wine is usually not very good, unless it's the second bottle then it doesn't matter.

Cheap rebuilt auto parts can cause problems on installation and they sometimes fail prematurely.

Cheap, off-brand tires don't last.

Cheap toilet paper is too rough, and cheap paper towels don't soak up or hold up well.

Cheap haircuts make me look funny (but I still get 'em).

Cheap contractors, auto mechanics, plumbers, etc. sometimes don't know what they are doing.

Cheap pool floats pop after the first use.

Cheap surfboard leashes sometimes fail.

Cheap electronics don't usually last very long.

Cheap plastic surgery is usually not a good idea.

Cheap women can sometimes make you itch.

Back
Top Bottom