Join Early Retirement Today

more tiny homes
Old 01-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

more tiny homes

Last year (2017) there was a thread 'Granny Pods' here. Here is an a 2017 add-on to that, and because I like the photos.

from the article: "Forget assisted living or RVs, more and more seniors are looking at tiny homes to spend their retirement. In fact, a 2015 survey found that 30% of tiny home residents were between 51 and 70 years old, making senior citizens a huge part of the tiny home movement. As result, more companies are specializing in small residences equipped with comforts specially designed for this unique demographic."

https://mymodernmet.com/tiny-homes-s...lty7STlZBEllp0

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many tiny homes are effectively 2 stories, with a sometimes awkward staircase to get up there, which could be an issue.
Aside from that aspect, could work for many.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #3

I would be miserable in one of those.

To me a "tiny" home is in the range of 800 sq. ft.: 166 sq. ft. is a box. And to live in 800 sq. feet (barring involuntary incarceration), I would need to be in an area which is conducive to year round outdoor living.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Tiny homes have certainly been in fashion lately, but there are more and more articles every day from people who regret moving into a tiny home. Zoning issues, relationship issues, personal space issues, maintenance cost issues, very limited kitchen/bath facilities - ever emptied a composting toilet, especially one that’s used 24/7/365? I just read through a half dozen, Google if you’re interested.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Tiny homes have certainly been in fashion lately, but there are more and more articles every day from people who regret moving into a tiny home. Zoning issues, relationship issues, personal space issues, maintenance cost issues, very limited kitchen/bath facilities - ever emptied a composting toilet, especially one that’s used 24/7/365? I just read through a half dozen, Google if you’re interested.
No. And I will admit, this is not an activity that I hope to take-up during retirement.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It's much cheaper to just buy a large travel trailer--35 footer. Get tired of a place, just relocate.

And they also make larger Park Models that are a cross between a travel trailer and a mobile home. They have regular bathroom fixtures and kitchens. They too are much cheaper than the tiny homes we see on television.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Those issues might be why the tiny home business seems to be now marketing to older folks, and why the people in the marketing adverts are mostly single older people. No interpersonal issues, and no children can move back in with you. So I expect that the designs of the tiny homes will change to meet that clientele.

Myself, my retirement house is 1900 sq ft.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
gone traveling

Ugh. No thanks.
I'm glad I won't have to go that route.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
It's much cheaper to just buy a large travel trailer--35 footer. Get tired of a place, just relocate.

And they also make larger Park Models that are a cross between a travel trailer and a mobile home. They have regular bathroom fixtures and kitchens. They too are much cheaper than the tiny homes we see on television.

Some of the travel trailers / mobile homes are just so great that I never have understood the tiny home thing, especially the ones with wheels.