Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I think we definitely need to get some of these and throw them up in the gutters. We have been getting frequent rains here lately and this may be contributing to the problem.
Your gutters should be kept clear so that they drain dry whenever the rain stops, so gutters should not contribute to the mosquito problem.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
+1

Bifen is great! One large bottle is $100 or so but last a long time, depending on the treatment area. Lasts about 1 month. Works great. . .we used to have lots of mosquitos, now NONE.
I'm telling you...That's the best...hands down. Most of the local companies guarantee the results. Of course, there will be the odd one once in a while, but they are few and far between. My Dad lives 5 miles from me and has similar surroundings (large trees, ivy, etc). His yard isn't treated and when I'm working in the yard, they eat me up! But at my house...good to go. I buy it from 'Do your own post control'...it cost about 75 bucks for a gallon (or there about) and I use 1oz per gallon of water. It takes about 7-8 gallons to treat my yard and it lasts about a month.

Sent From My Motorola Startac. Please excuse grammatical errors.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Your gutters should be kept clear so that they drain dry whenever the rain stops, so gutters should not contribute to the mosquito problem.
We do try. My husband cleans the gutters a couple of times every month, sometimes weekly. We have a lot of trees - like about 70 trees, and several of the trees close to the house are white pines, crab apple, river birch - all which drop a lot of stuff in the gutters. It's a continuous battle to keep the gutters cleared.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Best defense against mosquitos = Bat House

Install a Bat House
Do you think a bat haus would work in Houston?
Old 06-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Yep. Bats are great. I love being out at dusk so I can see them. You can watch them chase the bugs midair (what appears to be erraric flight is really them chasing insects). A bat house works anywhere - even in Florida where the mosquito is the state bird.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
If you mean get bats to live in it, then yes. There are many in the neighborhood and bats can be seen at dusk all the time.

But if you mean control mosquitos so that you even notice, then I don't think so.

The rains this week mean that mosquitos appear in force a day or two later. A day or two after that, dragonflies appear in force. It's the dragonflies that knock back the mosquito population along with all the spraying the municipalities do. And they have to spray because of all the Dengue Fever, St Louis Encephalitis, Bannu virus, West Nile virus, and other mosquito-spread infections.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #27

Quote:
If you mean get bats to live in it, then yes. There are many in the neighborhood and bats can be seen at dusk all the time.

But if you mean control mosquitos so that you even notice, then I don't think so.

The rains this week mean that mosquitos appear in force a day or two later. A day or two after that, dragonflies appear in force. It's the dragonflies that knock back the mosquito population along with all the spraying the municipalities do. And they have to spray because of all the Dengue Fever, St Louis Encephalitis, Bannu virus, West Nile virus, and other mosquito-spread infections.
I haven't found a way to attract dragonflies that doesn't involve standing water, which sort of defeats the purpose. The reason they "work" so well is that they eat mosquito larvae. Bats eat the adults.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #28

Bat and purple martin houses have worked well for me. Barn swallows are excellent killers of mosquitoes but they will build their own nests and are not attracted to bird houses.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I haven't found a way to attract dragonflies that doesn't involve standing water, which sort of defeats the purpose. The reason they "work" so well is that they eat mosquito larvae. Bats eat the adults.
Yes, dragonfly larvae eat mosquito larvae and adult dragonflies eat adult mosquitos.

A healthy pond with dragonflies, water beetles, tadpoles, and gambusia will keep mosquitos in check. There will be virtually no mosquitos coming from the pond and the other critters will get all the other sources. A couple of bat boxes on trees next to the pond along with bird houses are nice additions, too.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, dragonfly larvae eat mosquito larvae and adult dragonflies eat adult mosquitos.

A healthy pond with dragonflies, water beetles, tadpoles, and gambusia will keep mosquitos in check. There will be virtually no mosquitos coming from the pond and the other critters will get all the other sources. A couple of bat boxes on trees next to the pond along with bird houses are nice additions, too.
We actually have a fishpond with about 25 - 30 goldfish, tons of dragonflies and 3 frogs There are no mosquitoes around the pond - they live in all the bushes and ivy and landscaping. The pond also has a waterfall, so the water is kept moving.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

You won't remember this, but back in the 1940's we used a Flit sprayer, which was pretty effective. Dad used to pump spray us kids... Flit main effective ingredient was DDT...
"Quick Henry, the Flit!!" Yes, I do remember.

I also recall my Dad taking us camping. He'd get out a can of OFF, and say "close your eyes" and hit us full force in the face with the OFF spray.

My brother and I would run around licking our lips...I can still taste the stuff. Amazing he didn't kill us!

(Might explain a lot about my brother...he seemed to get more of it than I did)