Join Early Retirement Today

Mosquito Abatement
Old 06-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mosquito Abatement

I have a question to throw out to you all. We are being eaten alive by mosquitoes this year. The addition of a new granddaughter (4 months old) makes this a problem we need to get under control. Our yard is 1+ acres with lots of bushes, trees, flowers, landscaping. We have an in-ground pool but we keep the pump running 24/7 so the water doesn't just sit. We keep an eye out for any standing water in watering cans or what-have-you.

Has anybody used any of the commercial backyard mosquito control services, and if so, do you feel it was worth it?

Thanks
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #2

I have used such a service in the past. For a smaller more traditional sized suburban backyard. It helped some. But it never completely eliminated mosquitos. It actually was more effective eliminating spiders and wasps from our eaves than the mosquito control.

After 3 years of paying for the service I decided to discontinue. Just felt it was not worth the cost for us since we were not using our pool in the evenings much anyway. And that is when we have our biggest challenge with mosquitos.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #3

Best defense against mosquitos = Bat House

Install a Bat House
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Best defense against mosquitos = Bat House

Install a Bat House
Actually, we have a resident bat I had to fish him out of the pool skimmer last year. Fortunately, I got to him in time. After he dried off and rested awhile, he flew away.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 06-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #5

+1 on the bat house. Also consider installing or adding bird feeders. Purple martins are suppose to be the champion mosquito eaters, I think, but many birds will be of assistance here.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The mosquitos will always win over time but you can make specifc areas mosquito-scarce by running a simple fan over them when you are out there. An oscillating fan at a stiff breeze level seems to have worked us.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
The mosquitos will always win over time but you can make specifc areas mosquito-scarce by running a simple fan over them when you are out there. An oscillating fan at a stiff breeze level seems to have worked us.
+1. Also get rid of any standing water in gutters, depressions, bird baths etc. Doing the fogging thing kills every living insect, even the beneficial ones, plus I don't think the mist can be good for you or the baby to breathe.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Here in Georgia, they are bad. Really bad. Our lot is just shy of 3/4 acre (heavily wooded and lots of English ivy) and we were paying an exterminator to come out every 6 weeks to spray. Works really well, but it was about $60 per application. Since I'm a frugal guy, I bought a sprayer and use the same chemical the exterminator uses. It takes about an hour to spray but the cost is about $6 an application. I'm out back on my hammock as I type. No bites today!

The chemical I use is Bifen-IT. It's pet and kid friendly too.

Sent From My Motorola Startac. Please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
Here in Georgia, they are bad. Really bad. Our lot is just shy of 3/4 acre (heavily wooded and lots of English ivy) and we were paying an exterminator to come out every 6 weeks to spray. Works really well, but it was about $60 per application. Since I'm a frugal guy, I bought a sprayer and use the same chemical the exterminator uses. It takes about an hour to spray but the cost is about $6 an application. I'm out back on my hammock as I type. No bites today!

Thanks HeyEng. I will look that up. My DH bought some RAID for flying insects that has the chemical that is supposed to be effective and sprayed that last night and it was a lot better today. But that will get expensive. I really hate killing the beneficial bugs, but we have to do something. This year has been far, far worse than ever - and we've lived here 19 years. I don't know what's different this year that has caused the increase we are seeing (and feeling).
Old 06-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Cant help with mosquitos - but I did learn a new trick about keeping flies off of food at a picnic, dinner, etc - Just take a few branches of rosemary and put them on the table, the flies will immediately dissappear. We luckily have alot of rosemary bushes in the hood.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I recommend the Mosquito dunks which are the Bacillus thurin… that will infect and kill mosquito larva and other insects in water. Break up the dunks and use them in places where dragonfly larva and tadpoles won't be. If you have sprinker system, the valves are often buried in small "pots" that hold standing water, but are almost impossible to find except by mosquitos laying eggs.

It doesn't matter if the dunks dry out, since they are not 100% bacteria.

The spray insecticides will kill all insects. I attribute them to the loss of fireflies in the summer.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

As Rich said, the mosquitoes will find a way around any abatement. Other than building a gazebo, your best bet is to use a combination of strategies, which may include mosquito traps, chemicals and biological deterrents. Getting rid of standing water is key, though you have no control over property that is not yours.

I sympathize. I used to live in an area where mosquitoes ruined many a summer and where the city entomologist was a celebrity. My ultimate solution was to move.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
As Rich said, the mosquitoes will find a way around any abatement. ...
Agreed. The fan sounds like it might be a tool, along with other tactics.

I would imagine that if birds and bats got almost all the mosquitoes, the birds and bats would move to better places. They gotta eat, they aren't ridding the place of mosquitoes for our benefit (hey, the Adam Smith ' butcher, brewer, baker', quote even applies to birds and bats! And maintains the same alliteration!).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

A timely article:
Why Mosquitoes Bite Some People and Not Others -- And the Surprising, Natural Way to Avoid Bites | Alternet
(on 4 pages)...

Deet... most effective... depends upon trust, eh? Eucalyptus, and a fan or two, since mosquitoes are poor flyers. Citronella candle in a tent/canopy.
Since mosquitoes can have a range of a mile, area spraying, as in a yard or limited space... not too effective unless the air is very still.

You won't remember this, but back in the 1940's we used a Flit sprayer, which was pretty effective. Dad used to pump spray us kids... Flit main effective ingredient was DDT...

... and about Deet:http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002763.htm

from the National Institute for Health. No mention of Deet as a carcinogen.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
You won't remember this, but back in the 1940's we used a Flit sprayer, which was pretty effective. Dad used to pump spray us kids... Flit main effective ingredient was DDT...
Still popular in the 50s in my area. I still remember the commercials: "Quick, Henry, the Flit!"
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post

+1

Bifen is great! One large bottle is $100 or so but last a long time, depending on the treatment area. Lasts about 1 month. Works great. . .we used to have lots of mosquitos, now NONE.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I recommend the Mosquito dunks which are the Bacillus thurin… that will infect and kill mosquito larva and other insects in water. Break up the dunks and use them in places where dragonfly larva and tadpoles won't be. If you have sprinker system, the valves are often buried in small "pots" that hold standing water, but are almost impossible to find except by mosquitos laying eggs.

It doesn't matter if the dunks dry out, since they are not 100% bacteria.

I think we definitely need to get some of these and throw them up in the gutters. We have been getting frequent rains here lately and this may be contributing to the problem.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Bluebird houses. We are luckily in the Eastern Bluebird's summer breeding territory, and they are to us far more aesthetically welcome than bats. They do an amazing job at decreasing the mosquito population. We live at the confluence of a creek and river, have had substantially more than normal rainfall this year, and still have minimal issues with mosquitos. And that is from one house that bluebirds have returned to each year. More houses have been put up, but seem to be taken over by swallows most years, although they are good bug-catchers too.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Bluebird houses. We are luckily in the Eastern Bluebird's summer breeding territory, and they are to us far more aesthetically welcome than bats. They do an amazing job at decreasing the mosquito population. We live at the confluence of a creek and river, have had substantially more than normal rainfall this year, and still have minimal issues with mosquitos. And that is from one house that bluebirds have returned to each year. More houses have been put up, but seem to be taken over by swallows most years, although they are good bug-catchers too.
I have tried attracting bluebirds in the past with zero luck. At best, sparrows would move in, but usually just spiders. I would LOVE to have bluebirds.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #20

Nothing can kill as many mosquitoes as a bug zapper. It kills a lot of other things too, and I just as soon have them killed too, as I do not want any bugs around the deck.

I have a resident bat, but he can only eat so many bugs. Spraying works too, we have the city Mosquito control that does wonders. But the bug zapper gives you a nice warm feeling as you hear every zap.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote