Join Early Retirement Today

Most annoying foible of your spouse or SO
Old 08-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most annoying foible of your spouse or SO

OK, we all know that we really do love them, but sometimes there is that annoying little quirk that just drives you mad. What foible of your spouse or SO gets under your skin? Anyone whose partner reads this forum is excused!

OK I'll go first. DW is a soaker. When a pan or dish is really dirty she puts in the sink "to soak". The duration of this soaking is until I get tired of seeing it in the sink and hand wash it. If she paints, she soaks the brush, the roller, the pan. Duration: same as above.

Foible #2. Leaving stuff on the top / bottom of the stairs "until she gets around to" taking it up / down. Duration: until I take it up/ down.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Not going there. Nope. Uh-uh.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

What is this, a pre-test for the Darwin Award?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

She does activities in illogical 'steps'. Often times later steps never happen until I complain. What I mean by this is, for example:

We have blankets on our couches that are tucked into the couch so if our toddler or dog makes a mess it just gets on the blanket. Once in awhile she'll decide to wash the blanket, or I'll ask if she could wash it.
Steps:
1) Take blanket off, put on floor beside basement stairs
2) Take blanket down stairs (doesn't seem to coincide with going down, just whenever she feels like it)
3) Take blanket from bottom of stairs to laundry room (literally 10 feet away)
4) Wash blanket
5) Dry blanket
6) Put blanket on table in laundry room
7) Bring blanket upstairs
8) Put blanket on couch

I'm not joking when I say some steps can take like a day in between, even though each step takes from 10 seconds to 1 minute. It drives me berserk when she leaves a gap between step 6, 7, and 8 when she is going upstairs empty handed anyway!

She hates when I nag her over this, but I mean come on, you're going upstairs anyway!?
schmidtjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW isn't as interested in sex as I am, is that what you mean?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

So many foibles, so little time....
Old 08-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1) she can't unplug from work... ever.
2) she dumps crap in my office when she doesn't know what to do with it.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtjas View Post
She hates when I nag her over this
I have a feeling you're gonna get your butt kicked........
Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Not going there. Nope. Uh-uh.
Yep...totally agree.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Old jokes, puns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg See no Evil Speak no Evil Hear no Evil_J8XeuxrXZ6GM.jpg (30.1 KB, 5 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Okay , I'm game . My So saves empty peanut butter jars for screws and other things in the garage . I had a repair guy in to look at the microwave and when I opened the cabinet above the microwave a empty peanut butter jar hit him in the head .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
OK, we all know that we really do love them, but sometimes there is that annoying little quirk that just drives you mad. What foible of your spouse or SO gets under your skin? Anyone whose partner reads this forum is excused!

OK I'll go first. DW is a soaker. When a pan or dish is really dirty she puts in the sink "to soak". The duration of this soaking is until I get tired of seeing it in the sink and hand wash it. If she paints, she soaks the brush, the roller, the pan. Duration: same as above.

Foible #2. Leaving stuff on the top / bottom of the stairs "until she gets around to" taking it up / down. Duration: until I take it up/ down.
<Message for Dear Husband who is also a member of this board>

Ya see honey I'm not the only one who does this.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Is there enough room on the forum web server to fit all this data?

I read the original post to dh2b and got a good laugh. However, he is watching Stargate (SciFi) less than 10 feet away, well within spontaneous "get up and read my laptop screen" range.

I'll have to think about this and get back to you.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't feel like typing for several hours and boring the group.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I consider myself reasonably intelligent and logical. Present me a problem and I will sit down, think about it and eventually come up with a solution which will work just about every time. DW, on the other hand, while intelligent is not particularly logical - at least not in the sense of saying A then B then C then D. She is that person who, when presented with a problem will simply say "D" - no explanation. Unfortunately (naaaahhhh, fortunately), she is usually right. It is really frustrating at times. I can't just accept that her leaps beyond logic are as good as or better than my dogged logic. It can be maddening. Now, when she's wrong (not that often) she is very, very wrong. But she is just as certain she is right as when she IS right. Therefore, there is no built in validation to her answer.

I should have known that she was like this. When we were in high school (same grade and long before we were an "item") she was in another section of math. The teacher had given us a problem which I finally solved while many of my classmates could not. After discussing the solution, the teacher mentioned that "some fender head in the other class had the right answer and said you simply solve it by 'inspection'". Two guess who it was? Yep, DW2B.

Guess there are a lot worse "faults" for a spouse to have!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Ah, dh2b went outside to clean some hot tub filters. Mwah haha...

I offered him the keyboard to do a "guest post", but he passed. Smart man, right guys?

He actually has very few foibles to complain about.

My biggest tooth grinder is when a consumer catalog shows up in the snail mail or he goes online to TigerDirect. While he's thumbing (or clicking) through it, he comments on the newest "whatever" and all its wonderful features.
I can't tell if he wants to buy something, is enraptured by the newness gee-whiz thing, or is just busting my chops to see my reaction (consistently no I'm not paying for half).
Old 08-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

DH does the soaking thing. Very annoying.

Please tell your spouse that another great solution to the paintbrush or roller delaying the inevitable is to put them in the freezer for 2 or 3 months. I do that.

I leave cabinet doors open.

He forgets to leave the bathroom door open for the insane border collie who must hide in the tub for any passing thunderstorm. If it is closed, she does her best to eat through the door, leaving bloody splinters lying around and shredded door trim.

He eats the last ice cream sandwich and leaves the empty box so I don't know about it until I go looking for one.

Yeah, there's really no end to this, is there?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
DH does the soaking thing. Very annoying.

Please tell your spouse that another great solution to the paintbrush or roller delaying the inevitable is to put them in the freezer for 2 or 3 months. I do that.....
funny - the gal just last week retrieved a long ago stashed, uncleaned but wrapped in plastic, brush from the freezer and put it in the sink in a container to soak. and it sat there till the metal had inch long rust trails running down. At that point it was deemed adequately aged and I got to toss it.

Good thing i'm perfect. as a balance, y'know.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

When DH doesn't complete a project, I have to add the finishing touch....
Old 08-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
He eats the last ice cream sandwich and leaves the empty box so I don't know about it until I go looking for one.
Oh man, that's just not right! LOL!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote