Join Early Retirement Today

Most Depressing Article Headline Ever?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Most Depressing Article Headline Ever?

Pit Bulls Kill Miniature Horse Donated To Cancer-Stricken Child

If there is an award for most depressing article headline, this has to be it (sadly).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I found one that's more depressing, but decided not to post it. I'm not sure we want to turn this into a find the most depressing headline contest!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Ahhhh yes... misery as competition. What fun.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Newspaper Headline

There May be a Ring of Debris around Uranus
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well isn't this a fun morning, To brighten up your day Here's some more headlines

Shoppers ignore dying stab victim

- here's the link:http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/07/04/1183351250746.html

60 puppies die in Mass. tractor-trailer fire

- Here's the link:

60 puppies die in vehicle fire - Pet Health - MSNBC.com
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #6

When I see depressing "news" links, I don't click on them. The titles are depressing and descriptive enough, thank you. The more hits those depressing links get, the more those news sites will be encouraged to find more and likely worse stories. Crappy crappy stuff. Wouldn't it be uplifting to have nothing but good news for a change.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully the owner of the Pit Bulls can be identified and then humanely euthanized.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Here's one from the 60's (NY Post?):

Headless Man in Topless Bar

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I feel for the horse, but there was an elderly lady that was killed by pit bulls in Texas a year or so ago... tragic...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #10

How about these? Funny, I hope, not grim.
  • Grandmother of eight makes hole in one
  • Deaf mute gets new hearing in killing
  • Police begin campaign to run down jaywalkers
  • House passes gas tax onto senate
  • Queen Mary having bottom scraped
  • Iraqi Head seeks arms

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I think its gotta be the guy who was caught conning cancer victims out of their money...while on parole from a prior conviction of....conning money out of cancer victims.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My vote goes to the pharmacist who for years watered down cancer treatment drugs and pocketed the profits....
Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Hopefully the owner of the Pit Bulls can be identified and then humanely euthanized.

Back on the 11th of this month i ran off a couple pit bulls that were growling and running around some apartments we have in Salem. The second time i ran them off the larger dog hit my right shin just below the knee and the smaller dog practiced his grip on my left ankle. Surprised and scared me, also made me leak a bit. Didn't even consider using the screwdriver in my hand as a weapon. Ticked me off so i called 911 and an officer came out and ended up shooting the larger dog after it went for a girl walking by and he shouted to re-direct the dog's attention to him. The cop put a .45 hollow point through the dog's muzzle as it went for his crotch. Exited lower jaw, breaking out a lower canine. Dogs ran off. Larger dog was caught and put down, younger dog is still on a chain in a driveway. Teen dogs bite free? Must have been a slow news day, as the local tv station led off it's 11pm news with my scraggly victimized self. I would not have wanted to roll around on the ground with those two dogs. Or even one of them.
Told the cop it was good gun control: he didn't shoot the girl, he didn't shoot himself in the foot, and he hit what he was aiming for. That little sound bite and words about dog owners didn't make the tv news cut.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Back on the 11th of this month i ran off a couple pit bulls that were growling and running around some apartments we have in Salem. The second time i ran them off the larger dog hit my right shin just below the knee and the smaller dog practiced his grip on my left ankle.
Ouch! Hope you're OK.
Quote:
an officer came out and ended up shooting the larger dog after it went for a girl walking by and he shouted to re-direct the dog's attention to him. The cop put a .45 hollow point through the dog's muzzle as it went for his crotch. Exited lower jaw, breaking out a lower canine.
It's truly a shame the officer didn't have an opportunity to put one of those 45 slugs through the muzzle of the owner. (Figuratively speaking, of course.)
Quote:
Dogs ran off. Larger dog was caught and put down, younger dog is still on a chain in a driveway.
The police haven't been able to ID the owner despite the dog being chained in the driveway?

I had a fairly recent run-in with a stray dog here in my neighborhood. It was a Shepherd mix and a pretty agressive/mean one. Had to go in the house and get my bear repellent pepper spray I bring with me on camping trips "up nort." The spray worked fine, but using it irked me in that it's $40 a can and you only get one use per can. It was a good test however. If a large dog or small bear would react similarly, I'd have to rate the stuff as effective. You should consider getting a can or two and having it with you.

"Bear Spray" from REI.com
Old 11-02-2007, 01:34 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Ouch! Hope you're OK. It's truly a shame the officer didn't have an opportunity to put one of those 45 slugs through the muzzle of the owner. (Figuratively speaking, of course.) The police haven't been able to ID the owner despite the dog being chained in the driveway?

I had a fairly recent run-in with a stray dog here in my neighborhood. It was a Shepherd mix and a pretty agressive/mean one. Had to go in the house and get my bear repellent pepper spray I bring with me on camping trips "up nort." The spray worked fine, but using it irked me in that it's $40 a can and you only get one use per can. It was a good test however. If a large dog or small bear would react similarly, I'd have to rate the stuff as effective. You should consider getting a can or two and having it with you.

"Bear Spray" from REI.com
Yeah, I'm fine - the bruising on the ankle was the most irritating. The owner apparently came forward and as far as i know there were no repercussions for them (other than having a dead dog). Though i have a CCL I opt not to carry weapons - rarely feel like i wished i had 'em with me. Surprised me when the growling and approach of the first time i ran them off escalated. Don't think i would have wanted to try out pepper spray on them. The way the larger dog ran off after eating a .45 slug i think i would have felt secure up in the heavy shotgun range - and that's awkward to lug around on the off chance you're gonna need it. Have you considered that it might be a thoughtful gesture to carry salt packets with you up north? To go with the pepper? Sure you've heard the jokes about carrying a pistol rather than a rifle, as it does less damage when the bear shoves it up yer yumpa...
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:12 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Sure you've heard the jokes about carrying a pistol rather than a rifle, as it does less damage when the bear shoves it up yer yumpa...
Yep, sure have! Of course, in the parks we frequent, BWCAW and Quetico, no firearms are allowed at all.

When we fly into Quetico, it's a fairly remote experience and most campsites are infrequently used so there are few issues with "problem bears." Stateside in the BWCAW, however, campsites along the most heavily traveled routes are used almost daily and a few black bears become accustomed to scavenging and are persistent in hanging around at night.

Black bears can also be more aggressive when you're alone or with just another person......the case with my canoeing buddy and myself.

So, neverous nelly me, I go to sleep every night up there with my pepper spray, some cherry bombs and a lighter and an air horn all at my side!

The pepper spray comes with a warning pasted on the can that results cannot be guaranteed, not to put yourself in dangerous situations counting on it working and that it is a "last resort." I can only say that it works on large stray dogs.......

If I was in an area where some jerk was keeping pit bulls, the pepper spray might be a better last resort than that screw driver you mentioned! But I sure wouldn'tcount on it working.