Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just to simplify the conversation, heat exchangers generally cost about 500-1000 and require electronics to decide how to most efficiently operate. You'd also need to incorporate a humidistat to rationally decide to not open the exchanger for outside air exchange when it was not only 50 degrees outside, but also 95% humidity.

I think I'd rather buy the high efficiency front load high spin washer.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Just to simplify the conversation, heat exchangers generally cost about 500-1000 and require electronics to decide how to most efficiently operate. You'd also need to incorporate a humidistat to rationally decide to not open the exchanger for outside air exchange when it was not only 50 degrees outside, but also 95% humidity.

I think I'd rather buy the high efficiency front load high spin washer.
I'm thinking of getting such when the present washer dies (it's 16); what's a good brand?

Based on my limited research it's either ASKO or Staber.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Pay close attention to any rebates from the manufacturer, the seller, the water and electric companies. We bought a $1000 Bosch unit on sale for $899. That was out of stock when they came to deliver it so they bumped us to the $1100 unit. By the way, an interesting strategy when a closeout happens on an appliance is to buy it from a reputable outfit like sears, lowes or home depot and then schedule the delivery for 10-15 days out. By that time, their crappy inventory control system would have allowed them to sell 5% more units than they actually have in stock and most of the time they'll bump you a notch to keep you from canceling.

We got $100 rebate from lowes, $100 rebate from Bosch, something like $100 or $150 from the water company and $75 or $100 from the electric company. So our $1000 washer cost us 400 and change. Many of the utility rebates have multiple tiers like tier 1 and tier 2 that give you better rebates for the higher efficiency units. Trick is to know what the tiers are, which models are in what, and then wait for a sale on the higher tier models that with rebate makes them cheaper than the lower tier models.

There are only a few companies actually making the front loaders, which are then rebranded and sold by many companies with minor changes in appearance and controls. There have been a few models like some early maytag neptunes and some kenmores that had major problems for a year or two and that infected the entire class of machines.

I'd pick based on size of the unit and price with rebates figured in. Size is sort of a red herring too. A puny front loader can handle a queen/king comforter with little trouble since theres no agitator taking up space. Although our 4.0 cubic foot models can take an entire weeks worth of laundry in one gulp.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
24/7 loss? My vent has 2 dampers on it, eliminating both in- and ex-filtration unless the dryer is in operation.
I'll have to check my setup. In another house we used to have a plastic louvered model that was always getting jammed with lint and one louver or two would always be open. In this house we've got a simple galvanized vent hood, but I don't know if it has even got a damper in it.

How is yours set up, and are you happy with it? Lint can be a problem with these things.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
How is yours set up, and are you happy with it? Lint can be a problem with these things.
I have an inline plastic damper box in the pipe indoors and a hood with a damper flap at the wall. So far no problems.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote