Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #21

Hmmm, I am working on the "most important" versus "best" day...

I guess the most important would be my wedding day, 21 years ago, and there have been a couple more that have vied for best: the day we arrived in Mongolia after 6 weeks of driving across Europe and Asia in our old bus, and the day about a year later that we pulled into our own driveway, after driving that bus the rest of the way around the world. Those two days will never be forgotten, as the culmination of nearly three years of planning and making it happen.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Most Important Day in your life
Old 12-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most Important Day in your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I guess the most important would be my wedding day, 21 years ago, and there have been a couple more that have vied for best

You can never be married enough.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #23

Haha, awesome one, my friend! You know what I meant!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not just a big day, but a big weekend.
Retired from the Air Force on Friday, moved 500 miles away on Saturday, got married on Sunday.

Rather a significant life event!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #25

Happiest day: Day my son was born
Second happiest day: Day son graduated from college with a full-time job waiting for him in the wings

I don't know what the most important day was but it was the moment when I realized that I was fully capable of navigating my life successfully and independently.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't know the exact date. But probably around August 1988. DW and I had her first sonogram and saw two heads on the monitor. Lots of thoughts raced through my mind. But its been all great beyond my wildest dream.

Muir
Old 12-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Easiest Survey yet..... Day I married DW
Old 12-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

For me, it was the day I finally had the courage to first tell someone that I'm gay. All of these many years later, it's hard to believe how difficult it was at the time.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #29

Easy...the day my daughter was born.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The day Megacorp offered me a job. I got out of a dangerous career to write assembly code. What a change nobody threatened me, heck my new manager said please, thank you, and great job, I was used to hearing I'll kick your blank blank a$$. I walked around for many months just smiling and wondering how I got so lucky.

Everyone there was telling me how great this 'profit sharing' stuff was. How surprised was I when I saw my first statement. Then years later I saw my mentors starting to retire, young. How great was that, soon it was my turn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My most significant day was in early 1973. It was the day I entered college. A college education was unheard of in my extended family and even more so for a female. A relative actually suggested that I give my hard earned savings to my brother so he could complete college. I didn't and he didn't. A college education afforded me a rewarding career and decent salary......and that has made all the difference in my life.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #32

I was too young for the draft (and it was biased...did a chi square test in college).

One day that set/altered the trajectory of my life? A story that I end with "...and the rest is history" ... Hmmm. Probably the otherwise routine day my wife and I decided to start a family.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #33
Administrator

Easy! The most important day in my life was June 8th, 1948 - - the day I was born. Not because that was such an earth-shaking occurrence, but because without that day's events, there would have been no other days in my life from which to choose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948_small.jpg (8.3 KB, 141 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

The day my wife and I were born again!
Everything changed after that.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Funny, a few years later my number was 6, but they suspended the draft that year.

My number was 2, but it was also suspended for me since we were mostly out of Vietnam by then. I eventually still put my time in after college and served for 13 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I honestly can't say which of the 24,842 days (and counting) was most important. I could select a handful that I'd rank way up there but no way can I single out any one day.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
My number was 2, but it was also suspended for me since we were mostly out of Vietnam by then. I eventually still put my time in after college and served for 13 years.
Yeah, I remember that lottery. I drew 256 and they got up to about 200. Whew!

A friend drew "the lucky number" - 365. Unfortunately he was a Marine stationed in Da Nang at the time.

Lots of important dates stand out but I can't say one was way ahead of any other.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Probably the most significant day for me was the day I got drafted into the Army and was sure to be headed to VN at the time. I was a poor boy from a poor family with a HS education and no direction.

I joined the Air Force and put in four years (two combat status) and grew up and saw the light. That experience gave me direction in my life and I went on to college and grad school, totally supporting myself along the way. The rest is....well, you know the story.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #39

The most important day - It's the day (sometime in 1979) I decided to "get away" from my family by choosing to go to a college 400 miles away. Had I stay near my family, it would have ruined my life and I will be posting on workingforver.org instead of this one. If I dropped my family altogether, I probably could have retired 5 years earlier instead of doing OMY. They have been a major source of my (and DW's) stress.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

One fall night in 1971, on a dirt road, in the back seat of a Chevy...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote