Most Important Day in your life

I am in the going away to college and away from home camp, halfway across the country. I shudder to think of my own "It's a Wonderful Life" scenario, if I had not done that.

I honestly can't say which of the 24,842 days (and counting) was most important. I could select a handful that I'd rank way up there but no way can I single out any one day.
+1

Which caused me to calculate... 28553. Today and tomorrow are now most important. Don't buy green bananas!:greetings10:

http://www.joshuakennon.com/the-average-person-lives-27375-days-make-each-of-them-count/

That is the average lifespan in the United States today: 27,375 days. If you are typical, that is what was deposited in your “time bank” when you were born. Every day, whether or not you want to, you make a withdrawal of 1 day. When the days run out, you die. Game over.

Last edited:
The day I left home and a meager future in the coal mines and joined the Marines. Served 20 years, worked my way through school, and ended up in a six figure job that I will ER from next summer. Being with DW for 23 years has been pretty cool, too.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

For the folks that point to the birth of a son or daughter...wasn't the important event about 9 months earlier? ;)

The best day of my life was the day my now spouse said she wanted to pursue a relationship with me. 27 years later we were finally married. It's a great feeling to be able to file jointly!

The worst day of my life was 5 years ago today when my Mom died.

hmmm very tough question actually for me though I could easily make some stuff up :D

Wedding..well been married twice so yes and no
Born well yes but it's not like I had a choice
One possibility, the day I got clipped by a semi and spun out on a freeway at 70mph in traffic...I didn't die like I thought I would when I saw 4 lanes of traffic coming towards me
2nd possibility the day I decided to move from my home country to California (mostly because of that 1st marriage and the subsequent breakup that was in progress) as a means to reset my life. That did 2 things, (1) allowed me to me my current wife who I have been married to for over 20 years and still very happily so and (2) get me on a path that because one of FI since my DW has similar spending habits to mine and I believe I probably became more successful financially here than I would have if had stayed due primarily to few opportunities there

If pushed I'd go with the 2nd one...there was more control than the first

June 21, 1979. I met my husband on that day and married him two 1/2 weeks later on July 11, 1979. I was 19 he was 21. We are working on 36 years. This best day runs hand and hand as being the best day of my life along with the birth of our two children. Still in love and looking forward to another best day on Feb. 3, 2015 when he retires! Life is pretty good.

For me, it would be the first day of a vacation to Montana and Yellowstone in the summer of 1992.

My family was never the outdoor type, so after I'd moved out on my own, that summer I decided I wanted to visit a national park. I picked Yellowstone and few in to Billings, Montana. After I picked up my rental car and started driving towards the mountains, I knew immediately why they call it Big Sky Country.

It was like the entire world opened up to me. The wide open spaces, the Rocky Mountains, Yellowstone...

I still consider that trip to be the single most important life-changing event in my life. It caused me to move sight unseen to Colorado later that year, and I still feel drawn more to Colorado and the Rockies than anywhere else I've ever lived.

I can vouch for the Colorado mountains being a great place to retire. You don't even need to become a hermit to enjoy it!

For me, it was the day I finally had the courage to first tell someone that I'm gay. All of these many years later, it's hard to believe how difficult it was at the time.

+1.
Only it was the day I realized it. That day to me was a gift from God.

Just over 15 years ago on Dec. 8, DW took me to the emergency room after 24 hours of not feeling well with what I thought was the flu at first. Fever and couldn't keep food down, no appetite. I was on the table in the OR within a few hours to have a gangrenous appendix removed along with 4 quarts of fluid that had leaked into my abdomen. Spent 5 days in the hospital recovering, IV antibiotics, etc., before I could keep anything down. Doc estimated I had 12 hours left and said I should have gone in sooner. :nonono: But I really didn't understand it was that serious, thought it was just a bug.

Not sure whether to pick the 8th when I went in, or the 12th when I checked out of the hospital, but I'm happy to have been around the last 15 years, it has changed my outlook and priorities in life! :dance:

One of the most important days in my life was in March 2009, I bought a ton of Dow Chemical stock for about $7/share!

OK, I'm going in a very different direction, here. I would argue that the one event that I can peg most of my life history to is a day in a General Music class in 9th grade. (Back in the day when public schools offered General Music classes.)

On this day, Mr. Chamberlain played the Bach "Little" G minor fugue. Until then I hadn't really had any interest in music and certainly no interest in (or even awareness of) "classical" music. After that day, I started checking classical LPs out of the school and public libraries and soon decided that whatever direction my life was headed it had to include classical music. This clearly meant that I would have to leave my hometown.

So, when I went away to university, even though I was a Physics major, I took Music History classes and attended classical music concerts. I met my future DW and was able to converse with her, because she, too, enjoyed classical music. Our dates centered around opera and concerts. She encouraged me to join the university chorus with her. We bought our first harpsichord just after graduating college with what was very nearly our last $300. I taught myself to play the recorder, the baroque flute, and the harpsichord.

So, for nearly every day of the last 40+ years of my life, classical music has been a part of it. Performing it, listening to it, reading about it. I can't imagine how my life would have been without this at the center of it.

No kids for me, but significant days would be:
1) 8/14/93, day I got married
2) 6/xx/87, day I graduated college
3) 9/9/10, day my Mom died
4) 3/19/12, day my Dad died
5) xx/xx/15?, day I retire!

OK, I'm going in a very different direction, here. I would argue that the one event that I can peg most of my life history to is a day in a General Music class in 9th grade. (Back in the day when public schools offered General Music classes.)

On this day, Mr. Chamberlain played the Bach "Little" G minor fugue. Until then I hadn't really had any interest in music and certainly no interest in (or even awareness of) "classical" music. After that day, I started checking classical LPs out of the school and public libraries and soon decided that whatever direction my life was headed it had to include classical music. This clearly meant that I would have to leave my hometown.

So, when I went away to university, even though I was a Physics major, I took Music History classes and attended classical music concerts. I met my future DW and was able to converse with her, because she, too, enjoyed classical music. Our dates centered around opera and concerts. She encouraged me to join the university chorus with her. We bought our first harpsichord just after graduating college with what was very nearly our last $300. I taught myself to play the recorder, the baroque flute, and the harpsichord.

So, for nearly every day of the last 40+ years of my life, classical music has been a part of it. Performing it, listening to it, reading about it. I can't imagine how my life would have been without this at the center of it.

Nice story, thanks for sharing. ;)

The most Important day is a moving target: It is today. If I wake up tomorrow, it is tomorrow. etc.

[With apologies to everything else wonderful that has happened in my life.]

It was near the end of February, 1972, and I was on the island of Okinawa getting additional training after AIT before I shipped out to Vietnam. The sergeant called us out of the barracks and into formation, and the company commander told us: "The Commander-in-Chief, Richard M. Nixon, has officially decided to pull the troops out of Vietnam so all of you are being re-routed to South Korea for the rest of your enlistment period."

As a "lottery winner" draftee, who was dragged into the Army kicking and screaming, it was the happiest day of my life! And Nixon became my hero forever!

Back
Top Bottom