Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What the max you've spent to purchase a daily driver vehicle?
$0 -$19,999 19 14.50%
$20,000 - $29,999 45 34.35%
$30,000 - $39,999 34 25.95%
$40,000 - $49,999 18 13.74%
$50,000 - $59,999 3 2.29%
$60,000 - $69,999 4 3.05%
$70,000 plus 8 6.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I would say based on the responses here, that there are very few car guys posting in this thread. I have probably spent more on cars over the years than houses. Just not kept them as long. Cars are one of the better things in life for me and I have not regretted one penny of what I spent on them in my 45 years as a driver.
OP here again. Kinda the point of the whole thread as to what importance owning a more expensive car has to folks. Note that the original poll and thread (it is about 2.5 years old) only included daily drivers (not count RVs, collectible, special purpose, or hobby vehicles). I've a friend that has a Corvette, Porsche SUV, and a minivan. His daily driver is the minivan as the most practical, the Corvette is most definitely his garage queen, not sure why the Porsche SUV. Suspect the Porsche was to be the daily driver but the minivan practicality wins out.

I knew I was an outlier ( it took until 2018 to break $20K) as sometime in my 30s the car morphed into an appliance and I felt foolish spending money when it could be better used for funding early retirement. Even though I can now afford more, it carries little importance, my joy came from raising my sons and participating in their activities while enjoying early retirement. Soccer Dad with minivan (all five bought used, all bought less than 2 years old).
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #102

$25,000 over a decade ago for a loaded...Dodge minivan.

In the future will be leasing...probably whatever crossover with the best incentives.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #103

Most I have paid was for a brand new 2013 for Ford Explorer Limited at hair under $40,000. I would never do that again! Next most I have ever paid is $24,000 for 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I just bought last month. I just don't like the new cars any more. I fix my own cars so old cars don't scare me. I have yet to buy an old car which is a money pit. Most used cars I have bought had at least one problem which was lied (by resetting ECM, hiding, etc.) but nothing terrible to fix. I now scan every car for "EMISSION Ready" status before I buy them. I have a really good OBD2 reader (https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diagnos...dp/B0744B55QV/) which can read faults from every system in the car. I also look at every car's engine top and bottom for leaks.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Just spent ~100k on a Jeep. (well I think the window sticker was only 98k, but well over 100k after TTL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
got a picture?
Actually I don't have a good picture of the Jeep to post just yet, but if you are a "car guy" this is probably what you wanted to see anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0049 (2).jpg (583.8 KB, 29 views)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Is that a 4 or a 6?
Old 02-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Is that a 4 or a 6?
Neither.... That's either a joke (I hope) or you know next to nothing about car engines.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Is that the new supercharger?
Old 02-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #108

Gotcha!

Too bad the forum doesn't have a good tongue-in-cheek "smiley".
Old 02-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Is that the new supercharger?
Well yes for the Jeep. It's the same type engine/supercharger they have put in the Hellcats for a few years but this year it's available in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's 6.2L (V8 for REWahoo ) 707 HP.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Gotcha!

Too bad the forum doesn't have a good tongue-in-cheek "smiley".
I figured you were just pulling my leg.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:35 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

$32k for my 2016 Nissan Maxima. Not practical, love the interior, comfortable seats, 300hp. I seriously considered a Honda Fit or Insight. With the people doing 70-80mph on the highways though, something slower just wasn't going to cut it.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is that a 4 or a 6?
blown 8 cyl
Old 02-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just spent ~100k on a Jeep. (well I think the window sticker was only 98k, but well over 100k after TTL)
Old 02-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
blown 8 cyl
What a shame. It looks like a perfectly good engine.

Note: The above comment, like the one you responded to, is a joke.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #115
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I figured you were just pulling my leg.
I learn something everyday. Did not know one could spend $100,000 on a Jeep.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What a shame. It looks like a perfectly good engine.

Note: The above comment, like the one you responded to, is a joke.

Maybe he didn't read/catch all the recent comments above....

What's nice about this "blown engine" is how driveable it is. If you didn't know what to listen for you'd probably not even notice the supercharger sounds. Very well muffled. Even the exhaust is pretty quite, until you put your foot in it and then it will wake the dead. If you can read my avatar you'll see in the display on the right my best 0-60 time so far. The 0-60 time on the left was done with about half throttle.

In another thread we talked about all the gee-whiz things on our new cars. Well this one has something I'd never seen before. Automatic software updates! I think Tesla and a few others are starting to do this too. With all the computer driven options on cars today, you just know they are going to come out with occasional updates/fixes/enhancements. (which are usually updated by the dealer when you take it in for service) Well the other day I got a pop up on my infotainment system saying that new updates are ready to be loaded. "Holly Microsoft Batman". At least it asked if I wanted the updates to loaded and gave me an option to pick the time. OK, I set it to update for later that evening. The next morning it told me the updates were successful. (Actually I think it only takes about 20 mis to do do the updates and you can keep driving if you want to ) None of my customizations were changed and I have noticed some enhancements to existing apps. (all done VIA the cellular network) At first I wasn't excited about getting the updates that way "but" the way they did it (asking first and allowing me to schedule it) worked great. I did some reading "after the fact" and found they are spending a great deal of time and money on pen testing of the system. (Hacker avoidance) I hope they do a better job than Microsoft since that could get scary in a car.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a boss who prided himself on an old Honda with over 500k miles on it. Got in a wreck and almost had a permanent retirement. My family and I spend so much time in car that I want safety and reliability. Thankfully I can afford it while still saving for ER. Acura or Audi every 3 years. I have a old Ford F-150 that I drive to the store when I want to feel frugal.
thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #118
gone traveling

Quote:
Actually I don't have a good picture of the Jeep to post just yet, but if you are a "car guy" this is probably what you wanted to see anyway.
Now you just need a blower cam, LTs and a tune and you'll really be haulin. I recommend Frankenstein Engine Dynamics in Weatherford, TX.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAVisionary View Post
With the people doing 70-80mph on the highways though, something slower just wasn't going to cut it.
I'm starting to feel like I need something faster to drive. Non-turbo 4 Subaru with an automatic isn't cutting it.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I learn something everyday. Did not know one could spend $100,000 on a Jeep.
I was so surprised that I went and looked it up. My local dealer has two in stock.

While I'm ready for more horsepower than 175, 300 should be plenty.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote