Most spent on cars?

What the max you've spent to purchase a daily driver vehicle?

• $0 -$19,999

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • $20,000 - $29,999

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • $30,000 - $39,999

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • $40,000 - $49,999

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • $50,000 - $59,999

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • $60,000 - $69,999

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • $70,000 plus

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've never spent much over $20K on my car, but we spent $41K on DW's midlife crisis car, and Audi TT. She's been eyeing Teslas, but she'll have to remarry for that to happen...;)

My last truck was $43,584.59 out the door. 2003 F350 XLT with a 7.3 PSD with a snow plow. 100% write off as it is/was a business truck.

The next truck will very likely be a 2018 F350 Lariat, with the newer diesel, no plow. It will likely be closer to $60K-65K (at today's prices). Another write off as well.:dance:

My daily driver is a 2012 Honda Civic that was around $20K new, with an extended warranty. It replaced a 98 Honda Civic bought for ~$13K new. I can't write that one off...:facepalm:

If all you are buying is transportation, no need to splurge. When I buy it's much more than transportation, it's mostly for fun. Costs a fair bit more for this.

I've never spent much over $20K on my car, but we spent $41K on DW's midlife crisis car, and Audi TT. She's been eyeing Teslas, but she'll have to remarry for that to happen...;)
Really? A Tesla would be one of my two big splurges when it comes to cars once I reach FI. It's like a computer on wheels! :cool: The other car splurge would be a self-driving car. Hopefully, they can be one and the same. :tongue:

She's been eyeing Teslas, but she'll have to remarry for that to happen...;)
I've been very careful to avoid this choice in our house .. no sense taking needless risks. She might choose the car :facepalm:

My daily driver is a 2012 Honda Civic that was around $20K new, with an extended warranty. It replaced a 98 Honda Civic bought for ~$13K new. I can't write that one off...:facepalm:
Lol, my previous boss had a Jaguar lease as a business expense. :LOL:

If all you are buying is transportation, no need to splurge. When I buy it's much more than transportation, it's mostly for fun. Costs a fair bit more for this.

Yep, part of the reason I set up the survey!! All about what your priorities are and how you define "fun". Some spend it on boats, some on vehicles way beyond what is needed. Used to get a kick out of the number of folks in Alabama driving big four wheel drive pickups. Especially the ones that didn't have boats, remote cabins, or were not hunters. Just might need it for the snow or ice emergency (once every couple of years). Mostly status symbols or statements of who they think they are.
Where I live now, with regular 100-200 inches of snow a year, they make much more sense

Most fun cars I've ever had was: Driving around Europe and twisty roads in a German Ford Capri in the 70s. Another was a basic Dodge D50 pickup ( 4cyl, manual, no air or power anything) that I had many good adventures with in the 80s and early 90s. Both were manuals.

Now, with traffic, driving is no longer the fun it used to be. Though if I have the time, I many times take alternate routes that are more interesting than the interstate. Today I'm heading to central PA to watch my son's HS team's soccer game and I'll take the hilly winding two lane but more interesting cross country route rather than interstate. Pass through small towns of Union City, Titusville, Pleasantville, Leeper (appropriately named as if you hit the old RR crossing over about 30mph, you will literally get airborne), Cooksburg, etc. The journey is the fun for me, not the appliance.

Last edited:
DW has a boat that cost more than a loaded Tesla P90D, gotta draw the line somewhere...

Nothing wrong with this poll, but a poll on most expensive toy might be more revealing. For some it's a car, for others a boat, plane, second home, race horse, etc.

MMM, interesting thought. Originally just interested to see how much of an outlier I am. My last five cars over the past 20 years have all cost $15K to $18K to purchase. None were over 3 years old and four were under 20K miles and gave me a lot of service for the money. All were minivans (an unpopular segment that gives great utility for the money) and used to haul Scouts and soccer players and a camper all over the country!

Times and markets change, the lightly used vehicles are not the bargains they once were and I will strongly consider purchasing new in next two years and break the $20K barrier. And treat my dear wife to the car she wants (Subaru Forester or Honda CRV, and finally have all wheel drive to deal with our 100-200 inches snow season)

Last edited:

I have one of those! A great little car. I bought mine used with about 32k miles on it at 6 years old for $15k.

32K (CDN) on a loaded Toyota Tacoma back in 2000. Still happily driving it and have had nary a single problem with it over these 15 years. It still looks great, drives great...people approach me all the time asking me if I want to sell it...nope. I think it will be considered (and probably already is) one of the best truck models ever produced.

And it serves very well as my mobile (and outrageously capable off-road) platform for my post-ER adventures. :) Love my truck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 20
32K (CDN) on a loaded Toyota Tacoma back in 2000. Still happily driving it and have had nary a single problem with it over these 15 years. It still looks great, drives great...people approach me all the time asking me if I want to sell it...nope. I think it will be considered (and probably already is) one of the best truck models ever produced.

And it serves very well as my mobile (and outrageously capable off-road) platform for my post-ER adventures. :) Love my truck.

Is it a manual?? I was contemplating what car I want as my real retirement vehicle and a manual version of your truck is exactly what I dream of. About six years to go...maybe sooner. Though right now I plan to keep last minivan until youngest done with college.

My dad had a similar Toyota Tacoma - 4wd, manual transmission, short bed short cab (he had to go to the regional sales guy in Northern CA to special order and it was the last year they made a standard cab.). He wanted to fit it in the garage. Then he had various suspension stuff done to make it a super-duper 4wd vehicle and took it all over the South West US and Northern Mexico with his off-roading club.

Like you - he could load his kayaks on top - but he had a shell on the back. He paid a lot for the truck, and more to get it rigged out the way he wanted it - but he LOVED that truck.

When he passed in 2007, my sister and I gifted the car to my husband's nephew (who loved the truck and had bonded with my dad over the truck). It's still going strong.

Limited to only daily driver vehicles, I am in the $20-25K. But without that restriction I can blow the high end of the curve.

About $27K for new 2014 CRV almost fully loaded, cash. Picked it up before ER since we planned on doing lots of driving. Previous kept 10 years+ old honda past 150K miles, only unloading when they become maintenance headaches.

Tip: change oil early & often, also keep tires & suspension in decent shape (for safety). The rest seems to matter much less in my experience.

Times and markets change, the lightly used vehicles are not the bargains they once were and I will strongly consider purchasing new in next two years and break the $20K barrier. And treat my dear wife to the car she wants (Subaru Forester or Honda CRV, and finally have all wheel drive to deal with our 100-200 inches snow season)

Agreed! After driving used (even abused) all my life, I started buying new because of the high cost of lightly used Hondas & Toyotas, our preferred rides.

On the other hand, we bought DW's Camry used a decade ago with a 100K mile Toyota warrantee. It has been the best and most reliable car we have ever had. It was relatively expensive when purchased, but extremely reliable and cheap to run.

My current car a 2014 Infiniti G37. love it. really the first time I've owned a car that wasn't 5 years old when I brought it.

I work about 50 miles away from home and I love the comfort.

someone mentioned heated seats, lol that was a requirement for me.

Bought a 2010 Ford F150 for 31.5K with 12K trade of a Subaru Outback. At that time I also have an Accord Coupe for summer driving. I only drive the truck during the winter and when hauling grass and some long trips. Now at 5 years out, the truck is starting to have some repair bills. This is my last truck. Although I intend to drive it for another 5 years.

Bought a 2004 Acura TL new for around $32,000. Manual transmission. Still going strong with only 82,000 miles on it. Recently had the timing belt replaced. So far, it's been bulletproof and fun to drive. Hope it lasts another 8-10 yrs.

The most expensive car we've owned is one we got for free. :) We couldn't afford the maintenance.

Hard to do comparisons like this because inflation isn't considered. Here in the US all the cars we have bought new were in the mid-level Accord / Camry price range. Once exception was the '06 Acura TL I currently drive, it cost $30.4K

$18,800 on a new 2012 Civic. I bought it for the great mileage and reliability, but if I could go back and do it again, I think I'd have gotten the FIT for more storage.

My current car a 2014 Infiniti G37. love it. really the first time I've owned a car that wasn't 5 years old when I brought it.

I work about 50 miles away from home and I love the comfort.

someone mentioned heated seats, lol that was a requirement for me.

Our Mini would have been about $2000 less without the heated leather seats. I told the young wife that her butt was hot enough already, but she wasn't buying it.

After adjusting for inflation, none of the cars I bought exceeded $30K, but they came close. The first minivan I bought in 1985 came to $28K, and the SUV in 2003 came to $29.7K.

Yes, that 2003 SUV is the last one I bought new, and it still has only 25K miles on the odometer.

before RE (this year) it would have been 1-19999, but we spent about 30k on the one this year. Guess I'm on the cheaper end

Back
Top Bottom