Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: In general, where are the least friendly people in the USA?
West 8 11.43%
Southwest 6 8.57%
Midwest 4 5.71%
Southeast 4 5.71%
Northeast 48 68.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

The 5 friendliest cities in America - TODAY Technology & Money said San Antonio, Denver, Davis CA, Nashville, and Madison WI are the friendliest.

Travel&Leisure's poll of travelers found this:
FRIENDLIEST PEOPLE
1. Charleston
2. Austin
3. Minneapolis/St. Paul

I'm seeing Miami, Washington, Philadelphia when I do a search for unfriendliest. I wonder if places with a transient population seem less friendly--outside of people in the service, people who move every few years are possibly less likely to invest in friendships with people they may never see again?

Also, people may treat tourists one way but behave the opposite to a new neighbors. Small towns can seem mighty friendly to someone passing through, but may have a social structure in place that outsiders will never crack (or even be aware of until they realize they have no friends if they move there).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Also, people may treat tourists one way but behave the opposite to a new neighbors. Small towns can seem mighty friendly to someone passing through, but may have a social structure in place that outsiders will never crack (or even be aware of until they realize they have no friends if they move there).
This is certainly true. Although I have been away for a long time from my old home in the upper south, I still have instant connections there. Not that they wouldn't have all sorts of doubts and attitudes about me- some from my having been gone so long, some from problems I might have created for myself before I left; but I would fall back into a family and social structure that goes back into the 18th century. My Grandmother has been dead for 40 years, but she still has some local juice.

OTOH, corporate transferees are intersting, perhaps entertaining, but never really "one of us".

ha

Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

IMO, I think everyone is friendly. If they don't appear that way, then perhaps they have gas....
Old 04-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.... Small towns can seem mighty friendly to someone passing through, but may have a social structure in place that outsiders will never crack (or even be aware of until they realize they have no friends if they move there).
Mom solved that problem by befriending people who arrived after she did.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Chicago is exempt . It is more the rural areas that bred unfriendly people .
Interesting again. I actually live about 50 miles from downtown Chicago and people are far friendlier in the smaller towns than the big city. Like the other poster above, my experience is that city folks are generally less friendly to strangers than small town folks. I have never been anywhere that people were more rude than New York City itself, but I don't doubt there are millions of wonderful people there.

And how people treat strangers is not a good indicator of how friendly they are once you get to know them...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have 14+ years of living in Chicago, and I found that if the Chicagoan knows you somehow (even if you are a friend of a friend's family) they are really friendly. However, if you are a stranger they might treat you like poop.
But me? I love Chicagoans because they talk direct, straight and say what they mean totally. But I am sure some of my Southern brothers and sisters would interpret them as totally rude. Different strokes.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
But me? I love Chicagoans because they talk direct, straight and say what they mean totally. But I am sure some of my Southern brothers and sisters would interpret them as totally rude. Different strokes.
Southerners say what they mean also. It's just that it sometimes needs to be translated. If your woman friend says "Oh Dearie you look gorgeous where did you get that darling dress!" She may mean "You old hag you must shop in Value Village- and by the way, you had better get a face lift pretty quick!"

Ha
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #48

Places I’ve lived in the US: NY, NJ, CT, FL, IL (chicago area) , Cal (northern), Tx, WVA and Oh.

My limited experience is that if you are friendly to folks they respond in kind. They are also mostly polite – as long as you agree that politeness has some cultural differences around the country. Especially in the NY area.

I don’t think people are particularly rude anywhere. Anyway, rudeness is usually misunderstood politeness.

Folks are most withdrawn in WVa. Polite, courteous, friendly but distant – and will embrace any stranger as one of their own after only 2 or 3 generations.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm from rural Indiana...
I'm leaving Chicago for a long weekend and heading for Brown County State Park in Indiana just to rub elbows with some of those friendly, outgoing folks from rural Indiana!

Personally, grew up in inner-city Chicago, Chicago Public Schools from K -12, and live in the near-in Chicago burbs today. Inbetween, I lived in rural Indiana and semi-rural Tennessee. People, in general, were different. But broad brush categorizing one group as friendier than the other is silly. People aren't friendly or unfriendly, rather one's ability to get along with folks differs. When one says he or she thinks folks in an area are "unfriendly," that just means the speaker has yet another character flaw and lacks the personal people skills to get along with certain others. Too bad.......

Frankly, I don't like anybody very much!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'm leaving Chicago for a long weekend and heading for Brown County State Park in Indiana just to rub elbows with some of those friendly, outgoing folks from rural Indiana!
Going to take the sulfur baths?

The first summer I was in in college we went a huge weekend Jazz Festival down there. Duke Ellington, Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis, Count Basie, MJQ, Stan Kenton, George Shearing- I don't remember all the headliners but it was a very big event right there in rural Indiana.

When I was a child my parents took us to Brown Co. State Park for summer vacations. I remember a very nice big lodge, likely built by the CCC and a lot of nice cabins. I think we stayed in a cabin and ate at the lodge. We swam in a pool and also went horseback riding. We liked to bomb one another with hedge apples, huge sticky knobby things that I guess were the seed pods of some tree.

One year we went up with an Uncle who had a 1951 pea green Caddy convertible with red leather seats. I remember that is was very softly sprung and he would go fast on those rural roads that had lot of little dips and rises. The car kind of floated up and gave a feeling similar to a fast elevator. We thought it was like a roller coaster.

Ha
Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Harumph! Least friendly place in the USA is this guy's yard. Dang kids! Got no respect!

The Problem with Young People Today Is…
Old 04-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Going to take the sulfur baths?

The first summer I was in in college we went a huge weekend Jazz Festival down there. Duke Ellington, Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis, Count Basie, MJQ, Stan Kenton, George Shearing- I don't remember all the headliners but it was a very big event right there in rural Indiana.

When I was a child my parents took us to Brown Co. State Park for summer vacations. I remember a very nice big lodge, likely built by the CCC and a lot of nice cabins. I think we stayed in a cabin and ate at the lodge. We swam in a pool and also went horseback riding. We liked to bomb one another with hedge apples, huge sticky knobby things that I guess were the seed pods of some tree.

One year we went up with an Uncle who had a 1951 pea green Caddy convertible with red leather seats. I remember that is was very softly sprung and he would go fast on those rural roads that had lot of little dips and rises. The car kind of floated up and gave a feeling similar to a fast elevator. We thought it was like a roller coaster.

Ha
Not familar with the sulfur baths......

I'm meeting several other alums of a small southern Indiana liberal arts college (we graduated way back in '69) for our annual "old guys getting silly and trying to drink beer" reunion. We rent three A frame, two bedroom cabins in the park and just kinda hang out for a long weekend. When we first started doing this many years ago, when we arrived the cars were riding low on their springs under the heavy load of many cases of beer, coolers of steaks, etc. Now we limp in carrying a single six pack and a bottle of Malox! Time takes its toll! Still a good time though.

It's supposed to be fabulous weather this weekend. The cabins are in an attractive, heavily wooded setting and have large decks. I'm picturing half a dozen or so grey-beards sitting out there, feet on the railing and beer in hand, once again reliving homecoming game our senior year where we were ahead 21 - 20 until the fumbled punt return with only about 3 mins to go.........

Oh yeah..... to stay on topic, the people down there are real "friendly."
Old 04-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not familar with the sulfur baths......
I was conflating 2 different places. Brown County Park was where my parents took us; the jazz festival was at nearby French Lick.

French Lick Indiana got its name from early French settlers and the “mineral licks” in the area. French traders came to the area and discovered the mineral springs bubbling from the ground in the vicinity of what is now French Lick. Wildlife came to lick the mineral deposits left on the ground and rocks. In the early 1800's settlers began to bottle and sell the "Pluto Water" from the springs. In the early 1800's Doc Bowles built the first hotel, a three story frame building. The community thrived and there was an influx of tourist traffic coming to drink and soak in the mineral waters.
French Lick Indiana Vacation near Indiana University and Brown County Indiana

Here's a reference I found to that 1959 French Lick Festival. Looking back it is incredible that so many all-star players were there.
http://www.duncanschiedt.com/view_de...D=27&ID=37&p=1

Ha
Old 04-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Harumph! Least friendly place in the USA is this guy's yard. Dang kids! Got no respect!

That was great! I bookmarked that link for future "bad day medicine".
Whoever he is, real or not, what a character.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Hysterical song and awesome picking!~

Ha
Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Southerners say what they mean also. It's just that it sometimes needs to be translated. If your woman friend says "Oh Dearie you look gorgeous where did you get that darling dress!" She may mean "You old hag you must shop in Value Village- and by the way, you had better get a face lift pretty quick!"

Ha

I also had Southern manners explained to me like this: If a Southerner says to you, "Well look at you all dressed up in your college sweatshirt!" it sure sounds like a compliment....
Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I also had Southern manners explained to me like this: If a Southerner says to you, "Well look at you all dressed up in your college sweatshirt!" it sure sounds like a compliment....
Gosh, you mean it isn't?
Old 04-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hysterical song and awesome picking!~

Ha
I agree on both counts!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm meeting several other alums of a small southern Indiana liberal arts college...
Hanover?