Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Motorcycle Mania
Old 05-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non sequitur
Excerpts from "The Road," by T.E. Lawrence

I get all misty eyed when reading his stuff.
And how do you feel when you recall how Lawrence died?

I think bikes can be incredibly exciting. But I made my first spill my last, many years ago. Besides me, I have all those other idiots on the road to worry about.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I should probably add: I really enjoyed riding the bike, though I did have some close calls. But then my dad was diagnosed with cancer and since my mom had already died, it was clear to me that I'd soon be 21 years old and loking after my younger sis. I didn't think it was fair to her to take the risk of riding the motorcycle anymore. That's when stopped riding, and I haven't started again.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
I didn't think it was fair to her to take the risk of riding the motorcycle anymore. That's when* stopped riding, and I haven't started again.
I enjoyed static-line parachute jumping, too, and yet somehow I haven't returned to the field in over 20 years.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some clarifications ... took the motorcycle safety course, and also rode extensively in my 20's and late teens.* In my 50's now, family is set, insurance in place (life / disability), solid investments if I'm gone, and I recognize well the downsides and potential disasters.

Not cavalier, but live must be lived ... not all investment.*

The metric bikes are great too ... I'd like to try a sport bike, metric cruiser and mild off road again as well.*

Thanks for all the tips ... love the cop / girl photo.

Not keen on heights, so I'll probably pass on the safer mountain climbing and skydiving activities ... surreptitious girl watching is my next most favorite dangerous activity.*

Though kayaking beckons ...
Old 05-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
It's just that motorcycling seems to have a very high risk caused by placing your safety in the hands of other inattentive or incompetent drivers. I've never looked up the stats but I bet it has one of the highest injury/death rates of any lifestyle activity. HD should sell a t-shirt: "WARNING: Motorcycles can get you killed or injured even if it's not your fault. But gosh, will you look cool!!"
Telling motorcyclists that cycling is risky is like asking a early-retiree, "Whaddya DO all day?!?"

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:37 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

LOL that's right Rich!!!

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Telling motorcyclists that cycling is risky is like asking a early-retiree, "Whaddya DO all day?!?"
Good point. I should have a t-shirt made for that, too.

I saw "Will surf for beer" yesterday...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my 54 years I have been a certified scuba diver, dove to 185' depth in the Bahamas, airborne (20 plus jumps) and ranger qualified with a year in Nam as an infantry platoon sgt. Worked 32 years in a petro chemical plant were we manufactured ammonium nitrate and hydrogen cyanide and had our fair share of fires and explosions. When I made the decision to ride a bike I read everything I could about motorcycle safety and took a MSF course. I have put over 10K safe miles on my bike. The best advice I ever heard about riding was to pretend that you are a fighter pilot and everybody is out to shoot your butt down. Riding has actually made me a better all around driver. With all that said I still know that you are 14 times more likely to have an accident on a bike as compared to a car. That is a risk I am willing to take.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:36 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I have a blaze orange helmet. It helps a lot with visibility.

www.aerostich.com makes great lime yellow high-viz clothes.

Never ride in someone's blind spot. Vary your speed. Keep you lights on bright during the day. Know your exit strategy. Take the courses.

It never will be safe, but I won't give it up.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

There's some interesting data at

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/

on transportation fatalities.* It appears that the biggest thing you can do to be more safe is not to move, even by foot, after drinking.

I won't ride a motorcycle unless I"m wearing a helmet and other riding gear.* I've fallen off at less than walking speeds (I ride vintage trials bikes which involves negotiating a course with tight turns and obstacles without putting a foot down or going out of bounds, often at walking speed or less) and I have no illusions about "just this once".* Bicycles look to me like something that people ought to be wearing full protective gear when riding, and I'd probably want to do the same on a horse, skate board, snow skis, etc.* Protective gear usually makes crashing less unpleasant.

I feel a lot safer on the race track than I do on my infrequent street rides.* But then I've had a Ford Econoline van totaled when I was just a few blocks down the street from the house and a lady ran a stop sign in her Civic.* I've seen people in cars nearly run into (or be run over by) fire engines with their sirens going, so there doesn't seem to be anything you can do to ensure that people see you.

The UK motorcyclists call a common cause of car/two-wheeler accidents a SMIDSY - "sorry mate, I didn't see you".

cheers,
Michael
Old 05-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Best Friend from High School First Year University , stopped at Stop Sign, car slid into his rear, knocked him into traffic.

Last time I was on a Bike, extremely competent rider, a car decided to pass coming towards us, could not get in, pulled into our lane knowing full well he could have killed us.

I was on my CB listening to Truckers as they deliberatly played dangerous games with some bikers, truckers thought it was a big hoot, boxing the bikes in, forcing them over.

Not for me.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
It never will be safe, but I won't give it up.
Years ago I owned a Gold Wing. My son, then age 20, wanted to ride it occasionally. I was in my mid 40s, paying about $400 a year for higher level of insurance. Just for fun, one year I asked the insurance company what my son would pay for the same coverage. The answer was something like $1700.

I have always felt that motorcycling and hypertestosteronemia didn't mix well.

My old-fart routine consists of ALWAYS wearing full Aerostich jacket and pants, boots, helmet and gloves. I ride a large and conspicuous bike with lots of lights. The tire pressure gets checked before every ride. Parking lot practice occurs every month or so (it's a very big bike, easy to drop if you are not careful).

For all that, the risk remains high. Almost as high as the enjoyment I get from it. But not quite.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I had one conversation with my grandmother about bikes. She asked how I could do it, what with it being so dangerous and all. I told her I couldn't understand how she could ride horses for transportation when she was young as my limited experience with horses was pretty scary. She seemed to think that was an entirely different situation, and we pretty much called it a draw.

If I decide to start doing more street riding I'll definitely get an Aerostitch with all the armor/padding they can put in it, and it will be the one piece suit so there is none of this "I'll just wear the jacket today" stuff. Until then, I'll wear my full roadrace leathers/armor for my infrequent street ride.

There seems no shortage of interesting risk sports. The riskiest time is probably just after being a total newbie, when you start to get cocky without any expertise to back it up. Boating, skiing, parachuting, hang gliding, mountain biking, picking up random sexual partners at bars - they all seem pretty risky to me. I'll stick with the one sport that I've hopefully developed some expertise at, and not tempt fate by adding any others.

cheers,
Michael
Old 05-13-2006, 07:56 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich_in_tampa, That is perfect!

Trials? A dab'l do ya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1002382web.jpg (19.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-13-2006, 08:14 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
And how do you feel when you recall how Lawrence died?

I think bikes can be incredibly exciting. But I made my first spill my last, many years ago. Besides me, I have all those other idiots on the road to worry about.

Ha
I feel sorry that he died at all, but I would rather leave this world doing something I'm passionate about than the way another famous but historically less important motorcyclist did.* Steve McQueen
Old 05-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Here's a little attention-getter. Turn the sound on.

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/.../howclose.mpeg
Old 05-13-2006, 08:22 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Non sequitor, with the photos you've posted you should find a lot of the photos (1600+) on my website of interest: http://www.eurospares.com

take the middle link, and go down to the photo pages. You may like some of the technical articles too - I design and build my own race bikes.

cheers,
Michael
Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Michael.* WOW!

That's awesome.* I guess there's nothing more for me to say.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:45 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Here's a little attention-getter.* Turn the sound on.

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/.../howclose.mpeg
Thanks.

That's beautiful Sam. I had read about this ad campaign. I know that motorcycles are more important and mainstream in Europe. I guess it's good to see an official govt. attempt to promote safety by educating automobile drivers, but I still think the cyclist needs to assume all of the responsibility for safe operation.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Michael
I had one conversation with my grandmother about bikes.* She asked how I could do it, what with it being so dangerous and all.* I told her I couldn't understand how she could ride horses for transportation when she was young as my limited experience with horses was pretty scary.* She seemed to think that was an entirely different situation, and we pretty much called it a draw.*
Michael
Never had that problem with my Grandma. She's a Gold Wing rider and actually bought me my first dirt bike at 14. My parents were PISSED!!! Oh well, been hooked ever since. How cool is it to have a biker grandma!!! 8)

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote